Author Topic: Three shows I\'ll be skipping only because of the price  (Read 3728 times)

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Three shows I\'ll be skipping only because of the price
« on: April 19, 2009, 06:59:51 pm »
Three shows I\'ll be skipping only because of the price:

Dead @ DCU Center 4/18-4/19 $95.50 / $108.50

Stanley Clark and Victor Wooten @ House of Blues 6/11 $43.25

Matisyahu and Umphrey\'s Mcgee @ BOA Paviliion 7/7 $52.35

hmmmmmmmmmmm

Turning down shows just because of the price is a new thing for me.  I never used to miss any shows because of the price, and ironically that was back when I made relatively little money.  As I look over all my old stubs, I was always paying $12-$25 for shows very similar to these.  That Clarke/Wooten show would have been $15 10 years ago.  And yes, Phish @ DCU Center (Worcester Centrum) was $25 straight up no fees from mailorder in 1998...now The Dead get $108.50.  

(On a side note, you have to give props to Phish for the $63 tickets to every seat, every show.  Out of curiosity I checked Aerosmith @ Mansfield.  Aerosmith ends up at $233 a seat face falue for the entire pavilion, the same seats Phish ends up at $63 each for, and Phish is in higher demand.  Phish is leaving so much money on the table it\'s not even funny.)

I understand inflation, but inflation has not gone up 300-400% in the last ten years.  Inflation is only up about 10% as expected.  So how did attending concerts become just the greatest flipping thing ever?  Do people really like concerts and sporting events that much more than they did ten years ago?  What changed?  

Methinks the internet his highly responsible.  There\'s no denying the fact that the rise of the internet has coincided precisely with the rise in ticket prices.  The internet-driven explosion of the secondary ticket market has led to a world of ticket prices driven by false demand from both professional and amateur resellers.  There are many, many people making a lot of money by getting to tickets before fans do, and not all of them are agencies either.  

As I\'ve written before, I understand that most event tickets are now the playthings of the privileged.  They\'re like a fancy car or dinner at a top restaurant.  I understand and accept this as fundamental socio-economics and I accept that it most often won\'t work out in my favor.  I\'m grateful that I\'ve been fortunate enough to be able to dabble in a couple of high-end tickets on occasion.  However, I find it interesting and obviously a bit disheartening that from age 17-26, when I had far less money, I never even had to consider the price of shows... if I wanted to go, I went.  Now even acts like Victor Wooten and Umphrey\'s McGee, who aren\'t exactly mainstream, pull more than a weekly grocery bill.  It\'s quite a change, and the internet did it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 10:50:44 pm by Wolfman »

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 07:13:03 pm »
Quote from: Wolfman;227334
Aerosmith ends up at $233 a seat face falue for the entire pavilion,

Who is paying that kind of money?  Likely people up to their ears in debt who would benefit from cheaper entertainment.  The only times I haven\'t minded plunking down $ for entertainment has been Bfast touring - which often doubles as an excuse to take a vacation.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

sąikidélik

• whateva will dangle do ya
    • http://www.myspace.com/bolofmanutoes
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 07:26:21 pm »
You coming to my party Tuesday wolfman? its FREE!

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 07:40:21 pm »
the most shocking price is the UM/Matis, 53?
DS Newbers

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 07:41:45 pm »
Stanley Clark and Victor Wooten @ House of Blues 6/11 $45.50

hmmm that is a bit pricey... i bet it will be a good show though.:chin:
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 07:48:36 pm »
Quote from: ds673488;227341
the most shocking price is the UM/Matis, 53?

UM/Matis @ BOA
Price Level 1
Section 2, Row G, Seat # 25   Adult $35.00       Ticket Fee  $12.35   Facility Fee  $5.00 TICKET TOTAL $52.35

&camefrom=CFC_BUYAT_jambase]Wooten/Carke @ HOB
Type1 Full Price Ticket Ticket PriceUS $35.00 Convenience ChargeUS $8.25  TICKET TOTAL $43.25

Aeorsmith @ Comcast:
Price Level 1
Section 8, Row F, Seat # 10   Adult $200.00       Ticket Fee  $26.00   Facility Fee  $7.00 TICKET TOTAL $233.00

Quote from: Gfunk;227342

hmmm that is a bit pricey... i bet it will be a good show though.:chin:

Oh, I\'m sure it will, just like a Lexus is a good car and dinner at L\'Espalier is a good meal.  The quality of the product is not in question for any of these shows.  The value of the product, and the economic standing of the average consumer attending the shows... these are what are at issue here.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 07:55:09 pm by Wolfman »

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 08:18:28 pm »
Dead @ DCU Center 4/18-4/19 $95.50 / $108.50

-They were washed up when I saw them 15 years ago.  Sad, but true.  People will still go.

-Wooten did 350/400 @ Toad\'s @ $25 a pop.  I think the fanbases overlap more than they compliment each other.  HOB Boston has got to be about 2,500 capacity. 800 in there and you here crickets and angry club managers.  This has the potential to be a disaster of bridge buring porpotions.

Matisyahu and Umphrey\'s Mcgee @ BOA Paviliion 7/7 $53.50

UM did a solid 575 @ the Toad on a Sunday night.  I think tix were $22.  Matisyahu\'s draw has to be fading fast.  He was interesting for about 5 minutes (and that was 4 years ago) How big is this place?
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 08:45:42 pm »
speaking of Umphreys, never thought i would hear the WFAN sports radio regularly air a commercial for Mountain Jam, let alone mention Umphreys in the ad.  I just looked at some old stubs the other night too and was a little surrprised when i saw phish at MSG in 02 for the same price theyre charging now. 49.50
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 10:39:53 pm »
35 is standard for the bank of america pavilion.  i saw moe. and les claypool there for the same price, but i don\'t recall there being 17.50 in charges for one ticket.  thats half the friggen ticket price.  insane.

Bret

• Sin-ser Breakfasthead
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 02:42:54 am »
That\'s hilarious... The Dead - $108.50... Jerry must be looking down with a frown on his face seeing what\'s become of the live music scene.  Look at The Wall of Sound... the Dead were losing money hauling the setup & crew around the country all because they wanted their fans to have the best possible sound available even if they had to build a 26,400 watt, 75 ton monstrosity... everyone is getting greedy to the point of making me sick.  G - R - E - E - D  & the internet are ruining a great thing as i sit back and watch it all spiral down the toilet.
Lois: What the hell?  Marilyn Manson?  Is that who\'s causing all this?  Peter: Yeah, it\'s all him or hers fault.  Who does he or she think he or she is?  Look, you can totally see his or her nipples.  That\'s obscene... maybe.  Lois: There\'s only one thing to do.  Peter: You\'re right.  We got to find this Marilyn Manson and I\'ve got to give that bastard or bitch a piece of my mind or penis.

lilblondie

• the FU queen
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 07:08:26 am »
i wanted to go and see the dead next week...even though i know its expensive...however....someone i would like to go with is holding a protest of principles...so iam hoping for next time....
maybe the sun will shine today...
the clouds will roll away..
maybe i wont be so afraid..
i will understand that everything has its plan...
either way...

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 08:38:32 am »
I wouldn\'t normally pay $98 to see Bruce, but seeing as I won the tickets in the Tickmaster/Live Nation scandal lottery, I almost felt obligated to take them...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

obsession600

• The Duke Of NY A#1
    • http://
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 08:59:42 am »
I opted not to see the Dead at MSG or Nassau because of the ticket prices.

You had better believe that I will be seeing Clarke, Miller and Wooten at Nokia in June. For a bass player that is a show and a couple of clinics all in one.
"I taught them everything they know, but not everything I know."
"The one thing that can solve most of our problems is dancing."
-James Brown

tyzack

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 09:58:15 am »
Quote from: Bret;227366
 G - R - E - E - D  & the internet are ruining a great thing as i sit back and watch it all spiral down the toilet.

I remember back when the internet was basically free and a pathway for cheaper products. It seems that even though that is still the mindset "oh, the internet is cheaper" it actually isn\'t.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 09:59:01 am »
i think the price for stanley clarke and victor wooten is dead on correct. $35 for two of the best players in the world is a cheap price, considering stanley clarke just charged $35 in march for a solo show at the birchmere. the rest, however, are travesties.

as for why, i\'d say there\'s also the factor of venues charging more per ticket. remember, the artists will say we want X dollars per ticket, then the venue adds on their charges (parking, various fees, whatever). i\'d imagine phish has some sort of clause that requires venues to only take a certain extra amount, which is how they\'re able to keep prices so (relatively) low. otherwise they really are taking a reaming in profits. but most artists are willing to let the venues charge whatever they want.

then there\'s also the secondary market. don\'t forget, there are plenty of artists who will buy back large blocks of tickets and then sell them on stubhub themselves. so, if the venues are selling blocks (presumably at bulk rates), they\'ve gotta increase the individual ticket prices to help recoup some of that. add in the pre-segregated blocks for brokers, corporate venue sponsors, and there\'s a bunch of tickets that aren\'t bringing in the utmost profits. so, noce again, the screwings get passed on the the consumer....