Author Topic: Monday Nights: The Blah Blah Collective @ Osiris Cafe; Ansonia, CT  (Read 15292 times)

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
Monday Nights: The Blah Blah Collective @ Osiris Cafe; Ansonia, CT
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2007, 12:55:53 pm »
Quote from: Stephengencs;144742
Quote from: jocelyn;144738
Would this be something a snooty mc. jazz snoot like myself would be interested in attending?

My curiousity is piqued.

There were a few .infoers I was thinking of all night in that you guys would probably love the shit outta this.
-Joce
-Paul Ryan
-Mikey WhaTheFunk
-Joe Treychica Boncek
Once Ken gets the dvd, I will try to get my hands on a couple of copies and try to get em out to you guys if you haven\'t already made it down for a monday....

Cool. It would be nice if he had some for Thursday.  Thanks Steve.
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2007, 12:59:00 pm »
I am quite sure that Ken will have a few copies for Thursday considering he had copies of pitchies performance at southern that night at Jake\'s........
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

jefmcc

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2007, 01:22:30 pm »
Quote from: SlimPickens;144685
I made a last minute decision to hit this show and it was infukincredible.  They had a kid sit in on the upright acoustic bass last night.... who was unreal.  I\'ve never seen anyone play bass like this in my life.  The keyboard player, is the most animated musician ever, he used his rig like a jungle gym.  Climbing over it, laying under it, all the while laying down some serious towel headed keyboard science.  And despite being surrounded by a group of huge musical personalities, Animal was, well, Animal.  If you\'ve never seen this boy play jazz, you\'ve only seen half his talent.

The crowd, standing back, mouths dropped in utter amazement included John and Casey of Hubinger ST., SteveGencs, oldnewbie, and Ken documenting the event on film.

If you missed this last night... and you all DID!  Don\'t miss it next week

The guy on the upright was Preston Murphy. He plays with George in the George Lesiw Band. Preston is one sick mofo on that bass. It was awesome last night to have TWO bass lines going at once, really made everything nice and thick.

All in all this is a musical treat.  Those of you who are really not into the whole Timmy Tour cover mania, and want to hear some amazing original jams in the keys of jazz/funk/and sheer outter space would love this.  I mean love to the point of drooling on yourselves....

I forget who I said this to last night, but that was some of the best music nobody is ever going to hear. It was truely magical, everything clicked.

Do we know if that bass player has a regular gig?  If he\'s that good for a sit in, I\'d love to see what he could do when he\'s surrounded by musicians that he\'s hooked his proverbial trailer to.

He\'s the bass player for The GLB, which is George Lesiw, Gill Hawkins Jr., and of course Preston Murphy on bass.

I said this last night too, if a buss crashed through Osiris last night, it would have taken out a substantial  amount of musical talent in CT.

Last nights music just simply defied words. Hopefully some more people will come out next week.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2007, 01:35:10 pm »
welcome to the board jeffmcc!  Fortunately the show was taped by one of the breakfast taper squad Ken.  Audio and Video.......It should be a decent reproduction of what actually went down last night...

And dont worry, I have a good feeling about The Blah Blah Collective, The Osiris Cafe, Monday Nights, And This Summer......

Cant wait till the next one....

Woo-Hoo.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2007, 01:56:19 pm »
damn, another reason why i wish i lived closer to CT. any chance they will be playing weekend shows during the summer?
Smell my mule.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2007, 02:05:45 pm »
Quote from: booztravlr;144756
damn, another reason why i wish i lived closer to CT. any chance they will be playing weekend shows during the summer?

it really all depends on the breakfast\'s schedule coupled with the schedules of the other musicians in the Collective...i assume anyway.....

improv jazz/funk/spacefusion is a tough gig to book, again just an assumption.  However if a following does grow there is always a chance..  I assume.....

And I know that when you assume, you make an ASS out of U and ME......but just figured I\'d address Jason\'s question.....however if there is a member of the Blah Blah Collective on .info that may want to address this with more accuracy, please PLEASE go right ahead.....

jefmcc

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2007, 02:21:22 pm »
Quote from: Stephengencs;144754
welcome to the board jeffmcc!  Fortunately the show was taped by one of the breakfast taper squad Ken.  Audio and Video.......It should be a decent reproduction of what actually went down last night...

And dont worry, I have a good feeling about The Blah Blah Collective, The Osiris Cafe, Monday Nights, And This Summer......

Woo-Hoo.

Thanks, glad to be here.

I was talking with him before he got all his stuff set up. It\'s awesome that there\'s people that go out of thier way to record stuff like this. Of the 4 gigs they\'ve done at Osiris, last night was the best one, good thing it was recorded. Actually, the club has the ability to record everything too. He\'s got the room mic\'d, and picked up the last few tunes with Casey. I\'m sure he\'ll get everything next week. :)

I\'ve been meaning to pick up some quick and dirty mobile recording gear myself for about a year now, maybe now\'s time.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2007, 04:52:13 pm »
Hey Steve, if you see Ken and he\'s got a copy of this show, please grab me one... or it\'s knuckles to the grill for you!

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2007, 05:24:44 pm »
Quote from: jefmcc;144761
Quote from: Stephengencs;144754

Woo-Hoo.

Thanks, glad to be here.

I was talking with him before he got all his stuff set up. It\'s awesome that there\'s people that go out of thier way to record stuff like this. Of the 4 gigs they\'ve done at Osiris, last night was the best one, good thing it was recorded. Actually, the club has the ability to record everything too. He\'s got the room mic\'d, and picked up the last few tunes with Casey. I\'m sure he\'ll get everything next week. :)

I\'ve been meaning to pick up some quick and dirty mobile recording gear myself for about a year now, maybe now\'s time.

Careful the hobby is extremely addictive and can be very very expensive. If you are ever looking fo info or deals on used gear etc or just simply interested this is 1 of the best places to do it

http://www.taperssection.com
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2007, 06:23:20 pm »
I have half of a recording kit, just missing mics, ran out of money and basically let Fitzy tape the breakfast shows on my nomad. I did find all that I needed at TS. Great source of information.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2007, 06:29:02 pm »
I\'d like to check this show out.  

I often see jazz/funk projects in SF with top-notch musicians.  I\'d be curious to see how a humble Monday night show in CT holds up.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2007, 08:06:05 pm »
Al, I think you would dig this shit.....I would love to hear how you think it stacks up against some bay area hip and jazzy shit....

Whoareyoumacher?

• http://www.iansmusic.net
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2007, 09:13:56 pm »
Do these guys have a MySpace yet?  I\'d love to hear / see some of this shit.  I love this kind of thing, and other than with Smoking Boomers, I head Adrian only plays with killer musicians.

If anybody here is coming through or near Atlanta or knows any music loving people in Georgia, come or tell them to come to a killer concert on Friday.  My band, "My Friend Ian\'s Band" is playing @ Andrews Upstairs this Friday, May 11.  Its some good shit.
Sorry about the plug.  

Look out for some Smoking Boomers in July...and mid-August

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2007, 08:13:39 am »
I dont think they have a myspace together yet, they are all insane musicians who probably dont even own computers.....but seriously I am sure you would dig it Ian and definitely be very proud of the old Smokin Boomer drummer Animal Tramantano.....

I know of nobody heading down south at the moment.......Sorry Chipper.

However, I am glad to hear you are coming up for a visit this summer......You can come visit your old Friday haunt BAR as Timmy Tour officially invades it starting the first Wednesday of June.....

Good Luck Mr OoohOoohOoohmacher.  Hope the fam is doing well.......
Much Love,
Gencs

jefmcc

« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 10:05:25 am by jefmcc »