Author Topic: Monday Nights: The Blah Blah Collective @ Osiris Cafe; Ansonia, CT  (Read 15276 times)

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
Monday Nights: The Blah Blah Collective @ Osiris Cafe; Ansonia, CT
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2007, 08:08:20 am »
I made a last minute decision to hit this show and it was infukincredible.  They had a kid sit in on the upright acoustic bass last night.... who was unreal.  I\'ve never seen anyone play bass like this in my life.  The keyboard player, is the most animated musician ever, he used his rig like a jungle gym.  Climbing over it, laying under it, all the while laying down some serious towel headed keyboard science.  And despite being surrounded by a group of huge musical personalities, Animal was, well, Animal.  If you\'ve never seen this boy play jazz, you\'ve only seen half his talent.

The crowd, standing back, mouths dropped in utter amazement included John and Casey of Hubinger ST., SteveGencs, oldnewbie, and Ken documenting the event on film.

If you missed this last night... and you all DID!  Don\'t miss it next week

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2007, 10:04:19 am »
Quote from: SlimPickens;144685
I made a last minute decision to hit this show and it was infukincredible.  They had a kid sit in on the upright acoustic bass last night.... who was unreal.  I\'ve never seen anyone play bass like this in my life.  The keyboard player, is the most animated musician ever, he used his rig like a jungle gym.  Climbing over it, laying under it, all the while laying down some serious towel headed keyboard science.  And despite being surrounded by a group of huge musical personalities, Animal was, well, Animal.  If you\'ve never seen this boy play jazz, you\'ve only seen half his talent.

The crowd, standing back, mouths dropped in utter amazement included John and Casey of Hubinger ST., SteveGencs, oldnewbie, and Ken documenting the event on film.

If you missed this last night... and you all DID!  Don\'t miss it next week

Nice recap Mr. Chagnon......Glad to see you made it home and into work today.......

Folks, this is the real deal.....  I am far from a jazz afficianado, but the music being created in the Blah Blah Collective seems to transcend jazz/funk or anything but just amazing music from amazing musicians....

The upright bassist was insane.  At setbreak he was telling us how he was playing with some famous German clarinetist (or some other wood horn) in Germany with a head full of acid......

Adrian, forgetaboutit.....Watching him create on the fly, composing if you will, is a treat.  It is completely different than watching him behind the kit at a Breakfast show.  The sounds are as flavorful as any italian dish the Animal creates in his kitchen at home....

Matt Oestreicher is the keyboardist, and no Bill wasnt using a derrogatory term for arab or whatnot when he said "towel headed keyboard science".  Matt is very quirky and drapes a towel over his shaved head while playing at times.  Lets put it this way, Ken stepped off his video rig and came over to me and asked me, "what planet do you think this kid is from?"

George Lesiw is a tallented guitarist.  Obviously very well versed in jazz and space guitar.  It was easy to see the joy on his face as he jammed all night adding just the right amount of guitar to each and every jam.

Unfortunately Mike Nuno took a back seat on bass due to the sit in of the upright bass.  He was playing his electric bass, but it was hard to hear him.  I look forward to catching another Blah Blah gig to see Mr. Nuno in full flegged action......

All in all this is a musical treat.  Those of you who are really not into the whole Timmy Tour cover mania, and want to hear some amazing original jams in the keys of jazz/funk/and sheer outter space would love this.  I mean love to the point of drooling on yourselves....

Thanks to BillyChags for meeting me out in the valley.  Which, by the way, may seem to be far away but this place is litterally 10 minutes from Milford, CT.....  Thanks to Mr. Oldnewb whose quote really blew me away.  About 10 minutes after he got there, "I just saw moe. for 5 nights in the city and this is as good as anything i saw there".  Thanks for the beer brother...

But really, a huge thank you to The Blah Blah Collective.......  I hope to see some great nights down in the beautiful all americal valley this summer.......
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2007, 10:18:36 am »
....and i stand by my statement! (moe. was fucking awesome!!!)

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2007, 10:39:21 am »
i keep trying to get Gabo to go to this but he is being lame. maybe i\'ll be able to convince him for next week. is there a door guy?
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

WALSH

• Mahoney
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2007, 10:42:55 am »
I will definitely be there next week.  That is saying that my mind makes it back with me from PA.
Too fat for a tandem bike, and too drunk for a Mountain Bike...taste the fear.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2007, 10:54:51 am »
Quote from: Gfunk;144702
i keep trying to get Gabo to go to this but he is being lame. maybe i\'ll be able to convince him for next week. is there a door guy?

No door guy, but that doesnt mean you wont get carded.  However, Adrian uses his Gretch kit (bass drum back in ser biz), maybe you guys could go as drum tech and drum tech in training.......

Quote from: WALSH;144703
I will definitely be there next week.  That is saying that my mind makes it back with me from PA.

maybe if you didnt get drunk on sunday, you would have NOT missed this ser night of epic serness :P

From the last I heard from Ellis, I am pretty sure our minds will have to be mailed back at some point down the road from Anywhere, PA

"HEY DOG!  DID YOU SEE THE SIZE OF THAT CHICKEN!"
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela

peaches626

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2007, 10:55:48 am »
Grrrrr.... I really wanted to go last night... I think Ansonia has got to be like an hour from me though.... You spoiled western CTer\'s can kiss my taint you lazy bums.

Thanks for the recaps from all who were there
taints rule, gypsies drool!

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2007, 10:56:56 am »
sounds good. If I didn\'t have to work till 10pm last night, I would have considered this but will put it on the back burner for next week.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2007, 10:58:23 am »
Quote from: peaches626;144707
Grrrrr.... I really wanted to go last night... I think Ansonia has got to be like an hour from me though.... You spoiled western CTer\'s can kiss my taint you lazy bums.

Thanks for the recaps from all who were there

move outta the sticks........

15 south >
34 west >
115/Ansonia (there is a sign on 34 that says 34 west/ 8 north LEFT; GO STRAIGHT at that sign to get to 115)
The Osiris is about a mile or two up 115 on your left.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2007, 11:04:05 am »
Quote from: Gfunk;144702

Door guy?!  Ha!

You\'re in the valley baby
You\'re gonna DIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE!!!

Steve-O, thanks for the elaboration.  That gig deserved the full page treatment, but in my battle weary state this morning, I could only give it a paragraph.

Do we know if that bass player has a regular gig?  If he\'s that good for a sit in, I\'d love to see what he could do when he\'s surrounded by musicians that he\'s hooked his proverbial trailer to.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2007, 11:06:58 am »
I have a feeling that the kid on upright bass may have hopped in his spaceship and taken off to his home galaxy.......I am pretty sure he plays with the Max Rebo Collective....

Oh and TPalms was nearly confirmed for a sitin last night, but the fermented grape grabbed him by the brain banana and he didnt want to venture out behind the wheel of an automobile......

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2007, 12:14:35 pm »
Would this be something a snooty mc. jazz snoot like myself would be interested in attending?

My curiousity is piqued.
Masturbation in the MFA

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2007, 12:32:15 pm »
DAMN IT!! I was all set to hit this but was and still am sick! Joc if you want to hit this you are welcome to crash, I\'m about 15 minutes away.
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2007, 12:49:10 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn;144738
Would this be something a snooty mc. jazz snoot like myself would be interested in attending?

My curiousity is piqued.

Seconded.....
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2007, 12:50:58 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn;144738

My curiousity is piqued.

There were a few .infoers I was thinking of all night in that you guys would probably love the shit outta this.
-Joce
-Paul Ryan
-Mikey WhaTheFunk
-Joe Treychica Bonsack

Once Ken gets the dvd, I will try to get my hands on a couple of copies and try to get em out to you guys if you haven\'t already made it down for a monday....