Author Topic: Save the Rhinos benefit concert  (Read 633 times)

Blackieshamps

• Blankee Dick
    • http://
Save the Rhinos benefit concert
« on: June 29, 2005, 01:56:12 am »
Dont know if any of you hip-hop heads were there but i just got back from this great show.  found out about it yesterday and coudn\'t miss it.  The scheduled acts were DJ Premier(Gangstarr),MF Doom, De La Soul, with The Roots headlining.  Buckshot and Five FT (formerly of Black Moon) came on first with an unscheduled performance, great surprise.  MF Doom was just nasty im talking disgusting!  such a pleasure seeing one of my favorite rappers for the first time.  Premier was spinnin between acts.  kinda cool to see what his musical taste was like considering he is one of my favorite djs/producers for a second he threw on a steve miller record which i thought was pretty funny, i also found it interesting to see what an arrogant cocky bastard he seems like for someone who spins funky jazz records all day.  anyway now to the real deal, De La came out with some new and some old which was all wonderful but then they took it up a LOT of notches when guest mcs started comin out.  just a few...
Mos Def walked out on stage and was up for much of the set, Sadat X,
DREZ from BLACK SHEEP:holyshit:
and then Doom came back up, all in all, maybe the best hip hop set ive ever seen.  The Roots came on shortly after, and was probably my least favorite performance of the day.  they arent really as interesting to me as they used to be a bunch of years ago when i started seeing em.  or maybe i wasnt feeling it so much because i had been jumpin around out in the hot ass sun all afternoon in the middle of a crowd of people in central park and probably sweat out about 10 lbs. they were good though.
Marc Ecko raised a bunch of money for Rhinos or something retarded like that.it was a good time,  i got a cool t-shirt.
"Clown College? pfft you cant eat that!"

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 04:59:55 am »
Black sheep (:thumbsup)

Black sheep <:thumbsup>
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Buquebus

• SER breakfast geek
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 12:12:16 pm »
glad to hear you didn\'t get shut out... sick lineup.. was Doom rockin his metal face?? I wonder what he looks like w.o that thing??
Not sure what is gonna transpire. Regardless, we ain\'t gonna forget the gravy.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 12:36:24 pm »
they have some decent Indy hip-hop come through RI, I think there\'s a decent show Friday, Swannoty, Chachi, Filthy Souls, Hybrid X, with DJ Dusty Fraizer.

but I know where my loyalties are.... at Toad\'s
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-