Author Topic: A very frustrated FAN vents  (Read 8594 times)

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
A very frustrated FAN vents
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 12:13:41 pm »
indeed, great post Dave........

The only question your post raised in my mind was....okay, so its pretty obvious that a lot of fans are not happy with the sound of the three piece, but is it really bad? or is it just that the breakfast, as a three piece, needs to try and market themselves to a completely different audience?  More of a true Rock and Roll/Progressive thing versus the whole "jamband" scene.
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 12:16:29 pm »
Bravo. I have never agreed with you or any one post on this board  more Dave. Definitely  the most accurate and candid post I have seen on this board as well. This post is the epitome of the statement I made in my last post...

Quote from: Klout;139318
"Support them when you like what your hearing by all means but don’t pretend like every note is pure gold because it’s not (especially now) and a true fan and friend has the guts and respect to say it when its not."

In response to your post....

Quote from: davepeck;139320
there are plenty of folks who the breakfast can do no wrong for. no matter what they do, everything will always be "ser", and that will be that. but these people are far outnumbered by the folks who fell in love with a band that just doesn\'t exist anymore.

Glad to hear someone else say it. I have been saying this for a looooooong time now. Some people just wear VERY rose colored breakfast blinders.  I have heard whispers of this notion here and there but until now the only other person I have talked to about it in depth with was Ellis. Apparently it took something as utterly ridiculous as people saying that the breakfast is just as good or better as a three piece to make other people admit it or voice their opinion about it.

Quote from: davepeck;139320
THE BREAKFAST SEEKS NEW KEYBOARD PLAYER/VOCALIST

...but it seems like that idea went out the window almost instantly, and the band just decided to make due with what they had. it\'s been 8 months now, and it hasn\'t worked. they\'re losing more fans than they\'re gaining. how much longer can that go on for???

NO ONE CARES IF JORDAN LEFT, QUIT, WAS FIRED, SUSPENDED, EXPELLED, BEATEN, OR WHATEVER!!!! THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS THAT HE IS NOT IN THE BAND ANYMORE AND IT APPEARS THAT THE BAND IS A-OK WITH THAT AND HAS NOT DONE ANYTHING TO TRY AND REPLACE HIM.

BINGO. THIS RIGHT HERE...THIS IS THE REASON I HAVE BEEN MORE DOWN ON THE BREAKFAST THAN USUAL.

THE CASUAL DISREGARD!!!!!!!

It’s utterly infuriating!    

And looking back to the first statement of this post.....is anyone seeing a connection here??? PRETENDING IT IS STILL SER DOES NOT HELP MATTERS! It tells them that things are okie dokie with out a keyboardist and their complete lack of an attempt to find one is no big deal and totally cool with us. This is not the message we should be sending god damn it.  How foolish can you be?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 12:23:41 pm by Klout »

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 12:35:09 pm »
yes I do wear rose colored breakfast glasses, and really do not give a fuck what anyone says about that.  

Do i think the band was better with Jordan?  Uh not really.  Yeah there was a jammyness and an added texture that all the crunchy dready kids love, but fuck that shit, honestly they are a rock and roll band, or moreover a progressive rock band, and I think they are honing their sound, and if it means dropping the jamband lable, i say FINE! Actually, I say PLEASE!  Being categorized as a Jamband has been the number one hindrence to this band in the past 2 years anyway.

I would rather see a sausagefest of 800 dudes drooling over the complex lines and playing of each member over 200 spinning crunchballs any day of the week....
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 12:35:54 pm »
Quote from: Stephengencs;139326
The only question your post raised in my mind was....okay, so its pretty obvious that a lot of fans are not happy with the sound of the three piece, but is it really bad? or is it just that the breakfast, as a three piece, needs to try and market themselves to a completely different audience?  More of a true Rock and Roll/Progressive thing versus the whole "jamband" scene.

as far as marketing towards a different crowd goes, i personally don\'t see it happening. it may sound like a good idea, or an easy thing to do, but what you\'re talking about would essentially require wiping the slate clean, and starting from scratch -- something which i don\'t think anyone in this band is ready, willing, or able to do at this point in their lives.

but honestly, that shouldn\'t even be an option. the breakfast had a pretty good thing going. but over the last 8 months they lost a big part of their band, and a big part of their fanbase along with it. why not try to get things back to what they used to be?? seek out that missing piece, and get it back. sure it\'s easier said than done, but everything else has been a battle, what\'s one more at this point? one that could possibly save your band...

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 12:40:33 pm »
You do have another great point dave.....
honestly it is getting very ugly, because the three piece IS a completely different direction and I dont know if we have the intestinal wherewithal to wipe the slate clean and start from scratch, but I also dont believe it would be that gigantic of an undertaking......

I think if they brought in a keyboardist (jordan or someone else), it may bring back some of the fans, and may start something, but there is no way to guarantee that.  Not that anything is guaranteed, but as you see the wiping the slate clean is that hard, i dont believe just bringing in a keyboardist (jordan or other) is necessarily that simple.....

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2007, 12:41:04 pm »
Quote from: Stephengencs;139331
 Yeah there was a jammyness and an added texture that all the crunchy dready kids love.

come on stevie you know it was sooooooo much more than that

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2007, 12:51:47 pm »
Quote from: Klout;139335
come on stevie you know it was sooooooo much more than that

I know.  But to break it down to it\'s simplest form.  Back then they were a jamband that could rock.  Now they are a progressive rock band that can jam.  Of course there was going to be some collateral damage regarding losing fans, but the problem is that they are not picking up new fans, and I DO NOT BELEIVE it is because the music is bad.  I refuse to.

Maybe I dont know what "good" music is, but i stand behind the music of the three piece.  I stand behind whatever decision this band makes.  Does it mean I kiss their ass all the time and tell them that everything is "green"?  NO.  You can definitely hear my "sorry chips" if there is a note missed or vocal off......so please dont categorize me as an unconditional fluffer.  I love these kids and their music, but not blindly, however, I do support the Breakfast blindly without a hesitation.

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007, 12:59:45 pm »
I know. But to break it down to it\'s simplest form. Back then they were a jamband that could rock. Now they are a progressive rock band that can jam.

I could not agree more.  I want to write a lot about this topic, but it is going to have to wait until after work, but I will say this:  As someone who really didn\'t start getting into this band until \'05 at the end of the Jordan era/beginning of the Trio, I can not tell you how much more excited I am to see the Breakfast as a Trio.  I have loved their sound so much better as a Progressive Rock Trio, rather than as a "generic" (i use that term loosely) cookie-cutter jam band.  Their jam now are so much more focused and intense than they ever used to be with Jordan.  The chemistry between Timmy, Ron, and Adrian has their playing so much more in tune than it was with Jordan in the band.  Say what you will about Jordan, but a lot of the time he was a Space Case, and went off on tangents that sometimes detracted from the overall crispness of the sound.  I remember seeing times where Timmy would literally be kicking the piano to get Jordan\'s attention b/c he was so far out there.
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

Eldwayno

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2007, 01:04:15 pm »
I for one dig their 3 piece sound over their 4 piece sound, their segues have gotten tighter, they don\'t sound nearly as generic as they had with a keys player.  I will continue to see these guys when I can and will get my ass out there and promote their shows in my area, so a lot of ya\'ll don\'t dig the three piece, I\'m sorry, but I\'ve had an absolute blast and enjoyed every show of theirs I\'ve gone too, 3 or 4 piece, have they all been their best shows ever, of course not, but that\'s not what I\'m expecting, I\'m expecting to have a great time boogieing down with friends to some funky tunes... and that\'s what I get everytime I go to see The Breakfast.  Will I voice my criticisms if I\'m unhappy with something, of course, but I\'m not going to make it out to be the end of the world that they have an off night... they\'re only human.

WALSH

• Mahoney
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2007, 01:05:40 pm »
After seeing around 140+ shows with Jordan, and being friends with Jordan...I still say that the music is more interesting for me now than before.  And I am very OUTSPOKEN if something is to my disliking(HoneyButter;)), so to say that people are clueless or missing the point by not yearning for a keyboardist is just wrong.
Too fat for a tandem bike, and too drunk for a Mountain Bike...taste the fear.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007, 01:07:23 pm »
Thank you Dave.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2007, 02:06:09 pm »
hmmm.  well i do know what it\'s like to have to make my entire living off of music.  i\'ve toured, i\'ve promoted, until recently i was effectively managing my own band, i\'ve produced records, i\'ve done session work, i\'ve written music for tv, film, pop music, etc.  so i do know what i\'m talking about, and i think my opinions are valid, but they\'re just that: my opinions.  this is an open forum to discuss the breakfast.  i disagree (sometimes strongly) with a lot of the shit that is said on here, but that doesn\'t mean it shouldn\'t be said on here.  if people aren\'t excited and don\'t feel like actively pimping this band, then the band needs to look at why people don\'t want to do this and try to adjust; that is, if the band is looking for success and popularity.  if they\'re not looking for that, if they\'re looking to just play what they want to play, then that is totally cool, they just can\'t complain if not everyone else is into it.  but if the band is looking to make a living off of this, then the audience as a whole is their client.  they are the ones buying concert tickets, records, merch, etc.  and the band ought to think about what those people are going to respond to.

this is my opinion.  nothing more nothing less.  if you don\'t like it, i\'m sorry you feel that way, but this is just what i have to say.  i love the breakfast, but i get frustrated as well, because they are great musicians with a lot of potential to make huge waves in the music scene.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 02:14:29 pm by Jim Cobb »
Postcount +1.

ellis-d

• Visual Enhancer
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2007, 02:10:24 pm »
This is exactly what my point was.  You guys are all on here rambling on about Jordan and his shouldbe replacement.  Trust me, they thought about a replacement, but can you fathom the idea of teaching somebody all of those songs in a short period of time while developing an onstage chemistry?  They would have to take at least 6 months off to do so, and I\'ll tell you right now, we can\'t afford to take six months off.  If you don\'t like it as much fine, that\'s your opinion and everybody is entitled to such, but Dave, if Lisa ever asks for a divorce, I\'ll probably stop hanging out with you cause I\'m sure you\'d be way less cooler if that happened.
The lights from Ellis showed a mischevious sparkle
That flashed in his hollowed eye stare...

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2007, 02:16:34 pm »
Quote from: ellis-d;139359
but Dave, if Lisa ever asks for a divorce, I\'ll probably stop hanging out with you cause I\'m sure you\'d be way less cooler if that happened.

i\'ll take "bad analogies" for $200 please, Alex.

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2007, 02:19:06 pm »
rotfl
Postcount +1.