Author Topic: If The Breakfast are going to make it...  (Read 6939 times)

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
If The Breakfast are going to make it...
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2006, 04:21:59 pm »
Quote from: peaches626;121278
i havent read this whole thread yet, so im deeply apologetic if these points have already been clearly made but from the first few posts, i have to say....

1. tlg, i think, has a bigger fanbase than the breakfast at this point... bigger fanbase=bigger number of people flying away from home to see them... consider just for arguments sake that if the breakfast had 20 fans and tlg had 40 fans 10 fans flying across the country for the breakfast is equally as impressive as 20 fans for tlg... (this is not to say tlg has twice as many fans as the breakfast, or to say that the breakfast has an equal percentage of fans fly away from home to see them as tlg)  also comparing a tlg show in there hometown to a breakfast show a thousand miles away is unfair.......  
(note to leith, this is not to say your point about your experience at a tlg is moot... but i believe it is less significant than your original post appears)

2.  I would obviously love to take off for two weeks and go see breakfast shows non stop around the country this month... but to do that i would have had to skip most of the shows in the northeast to save money for my wild trip.... considering this i may ask myself, "Self, will it help the breakfast more to see shows within two or three (or 6) hours of your hometown and being able to encourage 2 or 3 newbs to come to each of those shows, or to travel by myself or with another dedicated fan or two and attend shows across the country" to which i would answer, "Self, bring the newbs, dammit"

W/O turning this into a TLG vs thread....

To your first point.
Yes a hometown show is quite different yet The Breakfast have been around longer and they still do not draw fans TO them. I think that is a direct reflection of your second point.

To your second point.
Well if The Breakfast were actually selling out hometown and or local shows I agree there would be more incentive to travel and see the band there as was the case this weekend and TLG.
However the method you describe in bringing newbs does not seem to be working. For whatever reason local shows just do not sell and that is interesting to note.
So I feel the only way to make people realize the band is worth travelling to would be for them to see fans showing up in out of the way places. It really does get people jacked up for a band when reading on various boards about their trips to see these bands.

I know for a fact it has happened on the TLG board and the Bort.

Why can it not happen here?
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
    • http://
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2006, 04:46:19 pm »
Quote from: Jim Cobb;121156
i\'ll admit it, i care about my own career more than the breakfasts. thats why i stick around here and pursue it.  sue me.
I always knew you were a self-centered bastard who only cares about himself!
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2006, 04:54:45 pm »
All I gotta say is TLG sucks. If you think they have a better/bigger fanbase I really don\'t see it. It\'s a straight fact that Breakfast outsells TLG @ Iron Horse venue by quite a bit. And the people at Breakfast are waaay more into the music.

Yeah there were a fair amount of people at the last TLG show @ Iron Horse, myself included. But a lot of the people there, like myself, had never seen the band before and just heard some of their tunes online or heard some buzz that they were pretty cool.

And like 50% of the people there, myself included, left after the first set because it was so frickin lame -- at the time somebody offered to smoke some *Beasters* with me and that sounded way better than finishing watching that boring snoozefest.

At least Breakfast gets people bouncing out on the floor and too busy looking for the pieces of their melted faces to consider leaving before its done. For some reason I think after that last show in Northampton, TLG isn\'t going to really be "blowing up" in this area.

Moral of the story = good press and buzz can only get you so far. You get a short-term spike in popularity but then once people realize the music straight up sucks, nobody\'s going to come back. Breakfast/PB has a SER reputation around here and when they play the same venue you can expect some seriously good times to be had by all.

Also all the fans were 14 year old spunions who will probably grow up and start to enjoy good music once their taste develops...

So yeah, TLG is soooo much more popular and successful than Breakfast? Maybe in your home town but that\'s to be expected. Out here its a whole different story.

Really, for any of us to be defending how much we like the band or what we actually do for the band to you is a joke
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2006, 05:02:04 pm »
Quote from: Mark;121290
I always knew you were a self-centered bastard who only cares about himself!

you\'ve found me out, mark...
Postcount +1.

Marcial

• Big Wooly Mammoth
    • http://www.chondrolicious.com
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2006, 05:23:16 pm »
I am shocked that there are 5 pages of replies to this ridiculous thread.  Leith, once agin, you have proven that you are truely clueless.  Not everyone is a granola-fied, hippie - slacker with nothing better to do than talk shit about this band or that band "making it" (whatever that means in your book).  

For the record, The Breakfast is not my favorite band.  They are ONE of the bands I listen to on a regular basis.  Back in the day, I was a "local" living in New Haven.  Since I moved in 2001, I have been back to see the band in CT EVERY YEAR at least once... not to mention traveling to other shows all over the Southeast.  So, I feel like I have gone well beyond the call of duty as far as supporting TB.  

Maybe if you would spend more time on helping yourself "make it", you wouldn\'t be whining about your Kia and busted computer....

While I want nothing more than to see these guys succeed in their careers, I have something that is, to me, infinitely more important... MY career.  Unlike the choices you\'ve made in life (which have obviously gotten you not too far), I have chosen a different path... one that does not afford me the luxury of dropping what I am doing to go on tour and support every show.

Get a life.
Switching peeping observing and licking
No telling next day what I be thinking

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2006, 05:25:07 pm »
Quote from: Marcial
I am shocked that there are 5 pages of replies to this ridiculous thread.
Sorry largely my fault, I get carried away sometimes.
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

Branch

« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2006, 06:04:44 pm »
:sarcasm: :killself: :no: :banghead: :thechase:

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2006, 06:15:28 pm »
i\'ve driven over 7 hours to see a one set show.  drove 20 hours straight to hit up a 2 night run.  i got nothing to prove to anybody.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2006, 06:18:59 pm »
factor in that i flew halfway across the country to see a 3 night bisco run this may.

also driven 12 hours to hit a 3 night moe. midwest run and am about to embark on a 7 show in 8 day run for them as well.

considering the fact, that i\'ve clearly travelled far beyond what is considered local for all 3 of those bands in this year alone, i really think you\'re barking up the wrong tree here.

Ant-Man

• govt.cheeze
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2006, 07:27:36 pm »
their rather progressive style does not appeal to this rock/pop group that most bands get their notoriety from...so a smaller fan base/slower success rate is inevitable.

Also look where music is going...
4 beats per measure is getting old obviously because if kids are screaming vocals (emo) just to sell records...come on

Quote from: Stephengencs;121184
but what really needs to happen if this band is going to make it is that people from the cities we play need to know about the show and band.  It\'s the local music fans from across this country that will push this band to the next level.

In order for these cities/venues/fans to get exposure about TB they are going to need to push the touring bit more...Because if a kid see TB in his city once and they don\'t return for a year or two...it\'s well discouraging
3-4-05:  Inspired, enlightened, surprised, excited, confused, evoked euphoria, focused, newfound faith in music.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2006, 08:16:50 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;121292
All I gotta say is TLG sucks. If you think they have a better/bigger fanbase I really don\'t see it. It\'s a straight fact that Breakfast outsells TLG @ Iron Horse venue by quite a bit. And the people at Breakfast are waaay more into the music.

Yeah there were a fair amount of people at the last TLG show @ Iron Horse, myself included. But a lot of the people there, like myself, had never seen the band before and just heard some of their tunes online or heard some buzz that they were pretty cool.

And like 50% of the people there, myself included, left after the first set because it was so frickin lame -- at the time somebody offered to smoke some *Beasters* with me and that sounded way better than finishing watching that boring snoozefest.

At least Breakfast gets people bouncing out on the floor and too busy looking for the pieces of their melted faces to consider leaving before its done. For some reason I think after that last show in Northampton, TLG isn\'t going to really be "blowing up" in this area.

Moral of the story = good press and buzz can only get you so far. You get a short-term spike in popularity but then once people realize the music straight up sucks, nobody\'s going to come back. Breakfast/PB has a SER reputation around here and when they play the same venue you can expect some seriously good times to be had by all.

Also all the fans were 14 year old spunions who will probably grow up and start to enjoy good music once their taste develops...

So yeah, TLG is soooo much more popular and successful than Breakfast? Maybe in your home town but that\'s to be expected. Out here its a whole different story.

Really, for any of us to be defending how much we like the band or what we actually do for the band to you is a joke

Your whole post was for naught dumbass. This is not a TLG vs Bfast thread. Oh and Sorry to burst your hater bubble but TLG does have a bigger fanbase and support of musicians in a waay better position to judge musical talent than you for them to suck.

Quote from: Marcial;121299
I am shocked that there are 5 pages of replies to this ridiculous thread.  Leith, once agin, you have proven that you are truely clueless.  Not everyone is a granola-fied, hippie - slacker with nothing better to do than talk shit about this band or that band "making it" (whatever that means in your book).  

For the record, The Breakfast is not my favorite band.  They are ONE of the bands I listen to on a regular basis.  Back in the day, I was a "local" living in New Haven.  Since I moved in 2001, I have been back to see the band in CT EVERY YEAR at least once... not to mention traveling to other shows all over the Southeast.  So, I feel like I have gone well beyond the call of duty as far as supporting TB.  

Maybe if you would spend more time on helping yourself "make it", you wouldn\'t be whining about your Kia and busted computer....

While I want nothing more than to see these guys succeed in their careers, I have something that is, to me, infinitely more important... MY career.  Unlike the choices you\'ve made in life (which have obviously gotten you not too far), I have chosen a different path... one that does not afford me the luxury of dropping what I am doing to go on tour and support every show.

Get a life.

Yeah well actually I have "made it" in my chosen profession. I work w/ higher tier bands that I want to work with and run lighting for some small fests like Baja Bash, Dana Point Blues fest...
I work when I want and have plenty of free time.
I love to spend some of it here watching people get so defensive over little shit like a local band.

Quote from: Igziabeher;121325
factor in that i flew halfway across the country to see a 3 night bisco run this may.

also driven 12 hours to hit a 3 night moe. midwest run and am about to embark on a 7 show in 8 day run for them as well.

considering the fact, that i\'ve clearly travelled far beyond what is considered local for all 3 of those bands in this year alone, i really think you\'re barking up the wrong tree here.

Oh wow someone that actually walks the talk. Kudos.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2006, 08:30:41 pm »
Quote from: leith

I love to spend some of it here watching people get so defensive over little shit like a local band.

:confused::sadban::rolleyes:
wow Leith made a thread for the sake of shittalking....SHOCKING!
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2006, 08:31:13 pm »
thanks.  its all in a days work really.  don\'t ask me how, i have 0 disposable income whatsoever.  but i do what needs to be done to get wherever i can get to.  its the life i chose to lead, and i don\'t regret a single second of it.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2006, 08:48:14 pm »
Quote from: leith;121361
Your whole post was for naught dumbass. This is not a TLG vs Bfast thread. Oh and Sorry to burst your hater bubble but TLG does have a bigger fanbase and support of musicians in a waay better position to judge musical talent than you for them to suck.

Try rewriting that in a way that makes sense.

Anyway everyone I knew at that TLG show agreed it sucked severely. Some of those kids also think Breakfast sucks-- but everyone agreed TLG was totally gay. I wonder what your TLG kiddie board said about that show... probably that they dominated the northeast and everyone raged out at the Iron Horse. Children have a way of exaggerating everything ;)
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Rujah

• team digest
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2006, 08:58:54 pm »
Quote from: leith;121361

Yeah well actually I have "made it" in my chosen profession. I work w/ higher tier bands that I want to work with and run lighting for some small fests like Baja Bash, Dana Point Blues fest...
I work when I want and have plenty of free time.

Oh wow someone that actually walks the talk. Kudos.

yeah. is that why you wish you were working for the breakfast.
Merge futhermucker just you merge You futhermucker merge merge futhermucker now

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye - Raoul duke - Hunter S. Thompson, Fear&Loathing

Gimme breakfast..................