Author Topic: The State Of The Breakfast Address....(A Stephengenc\'s Perspective)  (Read 7600 times)

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
The State Of The Breakfast Address....(A Stephengenc\'s Perspective)
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2005, 01:48:44 pm »
Quote from: Stephengencs
I disagree in that I think that a band that I feel has been one of the "most giving bands in rock and roll", it is important for their management to take them (us) into consideration....

I didn\'t mean for management to don funny tshirts and some heady slang and slug beers and whatnot..

Regarding Vic, I have exchanged emails with him a couple of times and he has been amazing in his ability to "take a moment for the fans" and is always welcoming in that respect....

Well I\'ll tell you now Management is NOT the band. The band may be one of the "most giving bands in rock and roll" but that does not mean management has to have anything to do w/ us as fans. This is not an affront to you but having worked in this industry for the past 10 years I can tell you you are sadly mistaken if you think management is going to take the time to deal w/ fans when they could be working on things for the band which happens to pay them. Steffmo goes beyond his capacity as record producer and it is very much appreciated.
btw the ONLY management that you may run into and get some time out of is a tour/stage manager. Which The Breakfast does not have nor need @ the moment.
But hey if you feel the need to contact management I believe the contact info is on the website. Let me know how it goes.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005, 02:12:18 pm »
Leith...I totally believe you, from experience in the music scene, know what you are talking about....

My point is exactly that....Why have a management team that thinks only of how they are going to make money off of you????  

Now I am not saying that I think they should abandon their management and use polls on the breakfast.info to decide every move they make.  I am saying that I just hope that they are being guided in the right direction for what they are trying to accomplish in music.  And if they aren\'t then they should do something to fix it.

I know nothing of the music business, nor do I care to from what I understand about it, but I know what I think and feel for this band that I (like MANY MANY others) have invested countless hours and countless dollars on over the past half a decade or so...
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

leith

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2005, 02:16:37 pm »
Quote from: WALSH

For a band to expect to have a large fanbase, thay need the heads from home to want to come along.  It is that "home" fanbase that is usually the first group to go on the road with the band for tours...following their shows across the country and getting a core base of crowd that the band knows is going to be there.  These are the folks that get the energy going in those off the beaten path venues where not all have heard what the band has to offer.

This is not really true in the fullest. Phish has said that they were really surprised at the amount of people that knew their music when they got to Colo. and were AT the shows.  Phish did not have a crowd following them on their first national tours. It took some time for that but they still toured. On a consistent basis. Alot of the people that did tour did so for limited jaunts or worked it around Dead Tour. I know I worked in a few Phish shows only due to the fact that I would be near there for GD. I do not remember a large contingent of VT folk @ ANY of my first Phish shows which all took place out here in the West. So I get your point but I think there are exceptions for the exceptional.

Leith...I totally believe you, from experience in the music scene, know what you are talking about....

My point is exactly that....Why have a management team that thinks only of how they are going to make money off of you????  

Now I am not saying that I think they should abandon their management and use polls on the breakfast.info to decide every move they make.  I am saying that I just hope that they are being guided in the right direction for what they are trying to accomplish in music.  And if they aren\'t then they should do something to fix it.

I know nothing of the music business, nor do I care to from what I understand about it, but I know what I think and feel for this band that I (like MANY MANY others) have invested countless hours and countless dollars on over the past half a decade or so...

Don\'t get me wrong. I\'m sure management is STOKED there is this fansite for one but they have no reason to actually acknowledge it. It is literally not their job. Now if they have a Manager that they deal with on an everyday basis who should be attending a gig or two then yeah it is weird no one has met him/her. Esp. being as close as everyone is out there.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2005, 02:20:02 pm »
^^^^ I guess that is where my lack of knowledge about the biz is apparant.

However, dont you think a bands MANAGEment should be concerned that the band doesn\'t have a MANAGEr?  I would think that a MANAGEr would be intrugal in the band\'s MANAGEment to efficiently and effectively MANAGE their band.....No?
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela

leith

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2005, 02:28:22 pm »

However, dont you think a bands MANAGEment should be concerned that the band doesn\'t have a MANAGEr?  I would think that a MANAGEr would be intrugal in the band\'s MANAGEment to efficiently and effectively MANAGE their band.....No?

TOTALLY!

Dyed_Tie

• Right There That\'s It Yes
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2005, 02:46:06 pm »
Quote from: leith
One of the reasons Phish was only in the NE area is the advent of internet trading had not begun.

Hey you know I hear they have the internet on computers now.
If trees could scream do you think we would be so cavalier to cut them down? Maybe if they screamed all the time for no good reason.

Probably the worst thing about having King Kong run rampant in your town would be the huge, monster genitalia.

I wish I had a kryptonite cross, because then I could keep Dracula and Superman away.
   :mario: :luigi: :yoshi:  :toad:

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2005, 02:53:01 pm »
The neck on Tim\'s SG is cracked!
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2005, 03:11:31 pm »
Quote from: Mark
The neck on Tim\'s SG is cracked!

:banghead:

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2005, 03:15:32 pm »
Look at these old timers trying to hijack this thread.....

Though Tim\'s busted SG is definitely applicable to the current state of the Breakfast...

I am wondering how he sounded with Adrian\'s Fender at Wormtown....  I didn\'t notice any posts about that in the Wormtown thread....  I do know that Adrians guitar is pretty fucking nasty....  So the questions of the next few shows will be....What guiatar will Timmy be playing?  Also, What will his newest "own" guitar be?

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2005, 03:19:55 pm »
i always thought that "the state of the breakfast address" was CONNECTICUT motherfucker!!!

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2005, 03:29:50 pm »
Quote from: oldnewbie
i always thought that "the state of the breakfast address" was CONNECTICUT motherfucker!!!

more like the state of confusion.....but i digress

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2005, 03:46:13 pm »
you know i will probably get flamed for saying this but when Josh was running things there was a much more hands on feeling. It was that group that was openly sticking their hand out and shaking peoples hands and bringing them in to the fold.

Sure I agree with Leith that management doesn\'t have to do these things but they make all the difference in the worl. A person or persons in the crowd during a show doing PR and that type of stuff gives folks a much more personal relationship with the band wether real or precieved it doesn\'t matter it all goes to making a "connection" with the band.

Josh was really good at that. So is/was Peck. those 2 in the early days really went out of their way to make you feel welcome. It was as simple as saying hello or a chat
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2005, 03:50:59 pm »
Mike, you hit exactly on my thinking and what I was thinking about....   I didn\'t want to bring Josh\'s name up initially, but was hoping that someone would.... thank you!!!  and there will be no flaming regarding that post...

WALSH

• Mahoney
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2005, 05:09:35 pm »
I think tha tis what Leith was getting at as far as a stage/tour manager.  That is the role Kroop played when he went to shows with the band and I always thought that they should have kept him on for that and gotten a managing agency for setting up gigs etc.  Kroop was VERY good at running things "hands on" when any probs arose, at least fro what I saw.  

Now it doesn\'t have to be him, but when they start touring regularly they will again begin to need one...not right away I imagine, due to having Dobz and EllisD on the road.  As things get larger, then they will have the need for more people to help out on the road, voila...then they would have an "organization".  

I volunteer now, and would love nothing else; but that is a ways off.
Too fat for a tandem bike, and too drunk for a Mountain Bike...taste the fear.

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2005, 07:08:37 pm »
2 - Speaking of live shows and tours, it has seemed that the breakfast have moved away from taking risks while on stage. The Wheelhouse show last week was an exception. That second set was a huge risk, and it paid off. You could feel it in the venue, between the band and the crowd. That feeling just hasn\'t been prevelant in shows of late though.

agreed, however i think they would be experimenting more if they were getting to play longer sets. one of the reasons the puppethouse was so epic was because they were able to play for so f\'n long.

Another, and my final issue, regarding what is hampering this band is practice. Obviously they are amazing musicians and have been playing together for so long that they dont NEED to practice too much. And honestly, I dont know how much the actually DO practice, but I do know that if they have trepidations about taking risks with jams, or playing new songs, or trying new things, practice will take the hesitation out of that with a quickness....

practicing regularly is key in taking this band to the next level. ya they can pull off one ser show after another without much practice, but with it nothin can stop them.
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice