Author Topic: The State Of The Breakfast Address....(A Stephengenc\'s Perspective)  (Read 7598 times)

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
The State Of The Breakfast Address....(A Stephengenc\'s Perspective)
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2005, 05:26:17 pm »
Quote from: Steffmo
Hey...I like you guys and consider you to be an important component to the bands success.

One of my ideas is to take the first 1000 members of this site and set them aside for some special offers, etc.  A rock version of Jehovah\'s Witnesses or sumphin....

You can even give me shit....its fine.

I will however give it back.......

Its all good.

[are you say\'n your gonna send the 1000 people door to door on the weekend knoking on peoples doors on there day off and try to covert them to the Church of Breakfast]
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2005, 07:09:49 pm »
Quote from: derickw
Hey...I like you guys and consider you to be an important component to the bands success.

One of my ideas is to take the first 1000 members of this site and set them aside for some special offers, etc.  A rock version of Jehovah\'s Witnesses or sumphin....

You can even give me shit....its fine.

I will however give it back.......

Its all good.

[are you say\'n your gonna send the 1000 people door to door on the weekend knoking on peoples doors on there day off and try to covert them to the Church of Breakfast]

[if that\'s the case, i wanna be a rock mormon. they get bicycles. ;) ]

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2005, 07:14:58 pm »
Well..I love you Newbie....but you don\'t know of which you speak.

Moe did two records for Epic when Caplan was Sr VP of A and R there.  The last was I think 1999....not ten years ago.

The point is...when they were on Epic...yes owned by Sony....a huge amount of money was spent on the band, but they basically bombed on Sony.  But they didn\'t bomb in the jam scene.  The money that was spent did break them mainstream, but it put them way ahead of other bands that didn\'t happen to have a couple of hundred thousand spent on them.

My point is, even though they didn\'t succeed on a major, they got a huge boost in the jam scene.  That should be obvious.

I don\'t throw bullshit...and will bluntly respond when it is suggested I do.

vic....though we\'ve never met personally....love you too man!  
in my post, i admitted my lack of knowledge regarding the music biz,epic records,mike caplan, etc...but you make one of my points when you say that their LAST album for sony was 1999. that\'s six years ago when that album was released. let\'s just say a year to make it (fair i think) so thats at the very least, seven years ago that they were signed. it\'s probably more like eight. this was after or right around the time that they were invited to play the furthur festival. they had already built a strong fan base and were regularly selling out places like the wetlands when this happened. they were already on there way and while signing with sony certainly helped,  (financially i\'m sure) i stand by my statement, that i don\'t believe that a failed attempt at marketing by a major label was what got this band over the hump. IMO, it was talent, perserverence, management (i\'m not being critical of you here!), and a devoted fan base that spread the word everywhere. they got over that hump in spite of being dropped by a major label the way i see it. i regret my use of the word bullshit. it was inappropriate. i don\'t believe you were propagating bullshit, just that you may not be entirely correct. (once again, IMO). i was still reacting to the anger that i was feeling when i made my prior post regarding moe. bashing. the breakfast ccertainly has all of those things that i listed regarding moe.\'s success...and i think your point is....that a bit of luck always comes into play. i am sorry for calling you out. it was not my intention....just got a bit carried away. i just get upset when i spend a lot of time and effort on the moe. board, trying to get people over there to come visit here and then find uncalled for bashing going on around here. while i will always love and support the breakfast in any way i can, spreading the word on the moe. board is something i won\'t be doing anymore. it\'s a bit like recommending somebody for a job, and then they make you look bad. as for you vic....keep up the good work and know that you are appreciated.

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2005, 07:29:05 pm »
Wow, what a thread!!!

Has just taken me dog knows how long to read it, but a few points from the outsider perspective (ie, not raised on jambands and never having seen the dead nor the breakfast - both unfortunate facts, but I digress... ;)):

In no particular order...

* I second the request for more effects for Ron - not to hide his most excellent work, but to give jordan even more space to wig out!

* regarding steffmo\'s comment: "but Particle is a much easier band for folks to digest" - only if you are brain dead! I HAVE seen them live and believe me it was not an experience I care to repeat.

* regarding the moe.bashing: I have been a fan of moe for ages and though I went off them for a while, they are beginning to grow on me again. True, their guitarist is not as pyrotechnic as Timmy, but they are a solid band, who I wanted to see when they came here on tour, but unfortunately, work intervened. :( The Breakfast have been my favourite extant band for a number of years now, but that does not mean I won\'t accept that others are good at what they do (except gangsta (c)rap of course!)

* regarding shared bills with other bands: I agree another show with moe. would be advantageous, but please let there be enough breakfast merch available to feed the frenzy. Building a touring relationship with Raq could be a good move, as could a double headlining tour with Tea Leaf Green, who seem to be going from strength to strength. Hell, even a tour with UM would bring more attention - at least it would not be as surreal and awful as Hendrix opening for the Monkees!!

*regarding touring costs: employing a non-playing road manager might make tours too expensive. Having a member of the band as manager is not ideal, but even established bands like Jefferson Starship only have 1 techie (for Paul Kantner), while Country Joe toured the UK with his band in a people carrier - all backline was borrowed/hired and the band did all their own setting up/taking down, with only minimal help from the promoter.

*regarding phish and the scene in general. As has been said, phish made it because there was nothing else like it around. Yes, they may have had lots of financial backing from rich parents, but you cannot deny they didn\'t deserve their success; trey and mike remain two of my favourite all time musicians to this day. Nowadays, there are so many great bands out there who just never quite make it - Ancient Harmony, Hubinger Street, Drifting Through and Likwid spring to mind, but there are lots more. Bands need a break, which the jamband scene cannot easily provide. A band either has to be noticed at a big event, in support of someone more established, or dare I say it, they need a hit single. Blues Traveler made it here when Runaround got airplay after its use in a film, but I doubt they would have otherwise. Not a jamband, I know, but I first came across Maroon5 two years ago when they were opening for Jason Mraz (saw something on the lama about the opening act and downloaded some on a whim). They later got a big single and now they are uberfamous (but still trotting out the same set based on the debut album, I know, but you get my drift?!) We have to accept that we are fans of a growing, but very unknown genre of music - any breaks are going to take time. We just have to be there for the guys and show our support by raving about them and spreading the word, as indeed most of us do now.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 07:53:52 pm by boombox »
Originally posted by leith
Our overseas grassroots coordinator boombox!!! The Breakfast is spreading worldwide :)

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2005, 07:58:47 pm »
^^^^^^^^^doubled the length of the thread.....confirmed!!  ;)

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2005, 08:11:47 pm »
Quote from: oldnewbie
^^^^^^^^^doubled the length of the thread.....confirmed!!  ;)

Just making up for not posting for nearly two weeks! :)
Our overseas grassroots coordinator boombox!!! The Breakfast is spreading worldwide :)

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2005, 09:41:14 pm »
funny you should mention ancient harmony, boombox. they\'re the band i was talking about in my initial post... in good news for harmonites worldwide, they\'ve started playing together again. they did a night of all dead covers, sort of a \'hey, how ya doin\' to see how it all felt. now, they\'ve got the allnight set to close out the down on the farm fest down near tallahassee. i\'ve already got the time off approved!

funny you should mention jason mraz, too, as i used to play with him in richmond. he was my girlfriend\'s best friend at the time. he used to come over with his guitar, dying to play the newest dmb song he\'d learned. lol. good kid, never thought he\'d actually go and make something of himself when he got out to his brother\'s place though! i\'m kinda jealous, cause he couldn\'t jam for the life of him!

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2005, 02:03:59 pm »
^ Namedropper!!! :)

Know what you mean about mraz\'s jamming (in)ability though - not great, though I do have a few nice versions of Sleep All Day where he lets loose a bit.

Good news about Ancient Harmony too - really do have to upgrade my mp3 shows though.