Author Topic: They should cover a Phish album for the Freakout  (Read 7735 times)

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
They should cover a Phish album for the Freakout
« on: September 21, 2007, 07:49:36 pm »
For these reasons:
It would be a hook that Jambands.com etc. could not ignore.
It would display the musical prowess of this band in the best way possible to many.
It would probably be the most downloaded show on Archive.org for quite awhile.
Due to the excellence that the band would display in absolutely shredding this album any comparisons to Phish would stop as people would finally get over Phish being gone and get wit\' some Breakfast.
It would give many of their longtime fans aka the ones that found them in the lots back in the day a real nice treat.
They are playing in Vermont.
It\'s The Breakfast playing Phish songs Come On!

For those memory deficient:
Junta

DISC 1:
Fee
You Enjoy Myself
Esther
Golgi Apparatus
Foam
Dinner And A Movie
Divided Sky, The
David Bowie

DISC 2:
Fluffhead
Fluff\'s Travels
Contact   
Union Federal    
Sanity
Icculus
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 07:48:41 pm by leith »
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 08:07:27 pm »
they know a few of those songs already but it would take a lot practice in the next month to nail songs like foam and fluffhead.

I\'d gladly pay to see it tho.

Buquebus

• SER breakfast geek
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 08:29:50 pm »
you\'d have to pay Ron like 4 million dollar$
Not sure what is gonna transpire. Regardless, we ain\'t gonna forget the gravy.

leith

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 12:02:11 am »
Yeah there is that. Nice to see you\'re well enough to post in a random thread bro. Keep up the healing!

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 06:26:25 am »
Bad idea Leith.  If they did that, they would probably be ragged on for copying Phish\'s playing a cover album on Halloween.  Second, (and this is my opinion only) I hated when they played Phish or Dead tunes because then you had all the wanna bees asking them to play their favorite dead or phish tune rather than their favorite originals.  We want them to succeed on their own merit.  They days of playing covers to please the crowd should be long gone.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

JSleeper240

• I fling poo
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 07:46:19 am »
Quote from: Yoda;159501
wanna bees

wanna bee?

leith

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 12:25:40 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;159501
Bad idea Leith.  If they did that, they would probably be ragged on for copying Phish\'s playing a cover album on Halloween.  Second, (and this is my opinion only) I hated when they played Phish or Dead tunes because then you had all the wanna bees asking them to play their favorite dead or phish tune rather than their favorite originals.  We want them to succeed on their own merit.  They days of playing covers to please the crowd should be long gone.

Well they are playing an album for the Freakout anyway so your reasoning is null and void there.
If they are gonna get ragged on as you say for covering an album on Halloween like Phish used to may as well be a Phish album.
Besides this is the only band I can think of that would have the balls and talent (well Ron may not have the balls) to cover a Phish album in Phish\'s homestate.

Oh and once people heard them shred the FUCK out of Phish they would be succeeding on their own merit.

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 01:23:32 pm »
Quote from: Klout;159477
they know a few of those songs already but it would take a lot practice in the next month to nail songs like foam and fluffhead.

I\'d gladly pay to see it tho.

Fluffhead has been covered at side projects in the past & sounded good... so it might not be so tough; but the whole album?!? Are you ser, leith?!
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 01:39:42 pm »
i think they should cover YCDTOSA #2 disc 1
caress me, aunt jemima

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 01:52:00 pm »
Personally, I would lose my #&^$ if this happened and would love every second of it.  In fact, it would make a serious run at being the greatest 90 minute stretch of my life.  And any good fan of The Breakfast or Phish would feel the same.

On the flip side, there\'s no doubt that scene backlash would be greater than or equal to scene respect for this maneuver.  As we all know, people love to hate on all things Phish, especially covering them.  You might as well just play something else that carries an equally high chance of respect without the high risk of backlash.  

It\'s too bad, really.  The Breakfast could be kicking the crap out of YEM and Stash a couple times a year for special occasions.  But with so many losers who don\'t want to hear it, you can\'t do it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 01:54:23 pm by Wolfman »

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 02:04:54 pm »
Wolf - I have no problem with them playing it, and my opinion may not mean much on this board, but I\'ve been to too many shows in the past where people would be screaming for them to play YEM all show.  Now do you go to a show to hear covers?  I don\'t.  But if they plan to play an album for the FF, and since Sgt. Pepper has been done, then may I suggest Joe\'s Garage - some good and fun tunes for a holiday show.  That\'s just my 2 cents.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

JSleeper240

• I fling poo
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 02:22:20 pm »

WALSH

• Mahoney
    • http://
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 02:42:01 pm »
Pearl Jam- VS would be awesome too.  Little bits of acoustic beauty in the midst of RAWK!
Too fat for a tandem bike, and too drunk for a Mountain Bike...taste the fear.

leith

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 02:53:51 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;159533
Wolf - I have no problem with them playing it, and my opinion may not mean much on this board, but I\'ve been to too many shows in the past where people would be screaming for them to play YEM all show.  Now do you go to a show to hear covers?  I don\'t.  But if they plan to play an album for the FF, and since Sgt. Pepper has been done, then may I suggest Joe\'s Garage - some good and fun tunes for a holiday show.  That\'s just my 2 cents.

Yeah but RAQ just did a Zappa set they would just be copying RAQ!

Just messin\' wit\' ya. ;)

Quote from: JSleeper240;159538

Sorry, Ron is good and sometimes great but Cliff Burton was a Bass guitar GOD!!!!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 02:53:51 pm by leith »

Whoareyoumacher?

• http://www.iansmusic.net
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 02:54:45 pm »
It would be a great idea, Leith.  
They\'d get tons of press.
It would take tons of balls and even more practice, but...
God damn, people would lose their shit.