Author Topic: Do people actually like Widespread Panic?  (Read 1205 times)

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
Do people actually like Widespread Panic?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 10:06:12 am »
yep, jazz is dead was phenomenal when he was in it! the things he could do with those tunes... i remember he always seemd to play the hell out of row jimmy. go figure!! and the best part is that he\'s one of the humblest, most down to earth guys i\'ve ever met! real soft spoken, but slyly witty.... good stuff all around! i got a chance to help him set up pre-show once (JiD was playing a buddy\'s bar, so i showed up at load in and helped out) and he was just about as cool as could be. of course, i ended up having to leave the show early (had a real job and it was a weeknight) just to find out that post show he sat around with my roommate and my buddy and shot the shit for hours... d\'oh!!

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 01:44:59 pm »
Agreed-I think JID with Jimmy is some of the sweetest stuff out there. And yes, I hung around and talked with him after a few shows, what a nice guy!

Check out the Project Z CD also, it is quite good. I saw them at the Webster, maybe 30-40 people in the place. They were crazy good.  Came out and played about a 20 minute improv jam opener.  After the show he commented on it. Said something like, could you believe that, what the hell was that?

I saw WSP at the Oakdale with JH recently.  Personally, I think it is a waste of his talents-JID, ARU, and PZ are much better IMO.
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

sallyalli

• NewHampshire Fordamnsure
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 02:33:17 pm »
I have a few friends who went on tour with widespread. they really dug them. I think they are pretty cool.
I have to albums that i toss into the player every once in a while.
:banguitar: :banboogy2:

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 03:49:55 pm »
Personally, I think it is a waste of his talents-JID, ARU, and PZ are much better IMO.
while i hate to say it, there are times when i agree with you. when talk first arose of him joining the band, i was worried that he\'d be too smooth and not dirty and gritty enough for panic\'s sound. that is true sometimes. he also tends to overuse some licks a lot, because i don\'t think he\'s being pushed enough and can fall back on these great sounding licks. not all the time, but you can tell which songs he grabs on to and which he just plays. he\'s also made them change their approach to several songs, too, i\'ve noticed. some for the good, some i wonder why. but, as it is, i like schools\' bass playing, i like sunny\'s percussion, and i love jb\'s rhthym guitar and vocals, so hearing jimmy playing with them is fine for these ears.

could i envision him in a better suited project? yes.
do i mind him doing this. nope!