Author Topic: SCREW Cablevision and their Digital Cable Box  (Read 719 times)

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
SCREW Cablevision and their Digital Cable Box
« on: June 10, 2008, 03:52:08 pm »
Has anyone else had to deal with Cablevision high-jacking their stations?  Aparently they decided today to convert A&E, Travel, C-Span2 and about 5 other channels to digital only.  The only way for you to get these channels is to pay an additional $6.50 per box for these channels, so it\'s basically an extra $1 per channel for something that we received as part of basic cable.  The problem is, there really isn\'t much of an alternative - FIOS is not available in our area; we had DirecTV and lost service whenever the wind blew more than 10MPH and dish and other satellite companies are just as bad.  This is absolute bullshit.  It\'s bad enought that we\'re eventually going to be forced to replace our existing TVs with HD/digital TVs.  This is Cablevision\'s way of raising the rates without improving service.  I don\'t particularly watch these stations, but I feel bad for those that do; they will have no choice but to pay the additional fee.

:slap::sigh::hair::banghead::wtf2::pissed::finger:
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

ChrisF

• http://
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 04:11:18 pm »
dont you realize that the same thing is hapenning to every other channel on feb 17, 2009? you will need digital cable before then

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 04:22:21 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;192568
The problem is, there really isn\'t much of an alternative - FIOS is not available in our area; we had DirecTV and lost service whenever the wind blew more than 10MPH and dish and other satellite companies are just as bad.

1. throw tv out window
2. hope it doesn\'t hit a passing car
3. watch tv using the internet

the future is now
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 04:23:15 pm »
I understand that the switch to digital will happen in 09, but this is my issue;

Will cable customers with analog TVs have to buy or rent a set-top box from their cable company? If so, how much will it cost?

First, it\'s important to know that the February 17, 2009 deadline for the digital television transition only applies to full-power broadcast stations. Cable companies are not required by the government to transition their systems to digital, and can continue to deliver channels to their customers in analog. Cable companies are actually required by FCC rules to continue offering local broadcast stations to their customers in analog as long as they offer any analog service. This requirement will continue for at least three years after February 17, 2009. The Commission will decide in 2011 whether the requirement should be continued beyond February 17, 2012. This means that customers who receive analog cable service (without a cable set-top box) will be able to continue to do so.

However, for business reasons (among other things, digital is much more efficient than analog), cable companies may be interested in transitioning their systems from analog delivery to digital delivery. If a cable company makes the business decision to go all-digital (meaning it will stop offering any channels to its customers in analog), it must ensure that its analog customers can continue to watch their local broadcast stations. This may require customers with analog televisions to get a set-top box. If the cable company provides the customer with a set-top box, any costs related to it will be determined by the cable company. Therefore, it is recommended that analog cable customers contact their cable company to ask if a set-top box will be needed, when it will be needed, and if there will be a cost.

It is also important to note that a cable set-top box is different from a digital-to-analog converter box. A digital-to-analog converter box is necessary only for analog televisions that receive their programming over-the-air using a rooftop antenna or "rabbit ears" connected to the set. A digital-to-analog converter box is not necessary for a TV connected to a paid television service such as a cable or satellite TV provider. Information on any set-top boxes needed for a paid service such as cable or satellite should be obtained from the service provider.
http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#faq25

Can my cable system move programming to a digital tier that makes me subscribe to digital service?

Your cable system decides when and whether to carry programming on a digital tier, which may mean that you will need digital equipment. However, all of your local stations will continue to be available in analog format for as long as your cable system offers any analog service.
http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#faq16

The later is what Cablevision has decided to do.  Personally, I feel that it\'s a load of shit.  And I say to Cablevision, "Why don\'t you suck a fart out of my asshole you slave driving fascist mother fuckers." - Val Kilmer (Jim Morrison) / The Doors Movie
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

fizzlefest

• Your Mom...
    • http://www.craigwendler.com
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 06:41:21 pm »
The rental fee for the cable box goes straight to the government.  It\'s mostly taxes.  I work for Cablevision *ducks*.  I used to get cable tv service for free *ducks again*.  About 1.5 years ago Cablevision had to start charging their employees the rental fee for the cable boxes due to government rules and regulations (the fed wanted money).  So now I just pay the rental fee for the box.

I know this doesn\'t make you feel any better, but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.  And feel free to continue to hate Cablevision.  If I wasn\'t an employee, I\'d be right there with you.

Penny Redstar

• http://pennyredstar.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 06:54:56 pm »
Do you already have a cable box somewhere else in the house?  This is happening to everyone.  However, some relatives of mine were able to get a deal with Cablevision to get the box for free for a year.  They had either basic cable or no cable at all and didn\'t rent a box.

If you don\'t have already have a box, maybe you can see if there is some sort of deal in your area.  One of my relatives lives in Suffolk County on Long Island the other in Nassau County on Long Island.

Just a suggestion.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 08:35:47 am »
Already have a box and one DVR.  Granted, I don\'t watch most of the channels that we lost and we only lost them on two TV, but it\'s the principle behind their move that pisses me off.  They are screwing people that currently have the a cable plan, but don\'t have access to HBO and premium channels.