Author Topic: Let\'s talk about The Rolling Stones!!!  (Read 2530 times)

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Let\'s talk about The Rolling Stones!!!
« on: August 05, 2008, 12:57:01 pm »
As I stated previously somewhere, listening to the rolling stones make me appreciate how good The Beatles were.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 01:25:05 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;198249
As I stated previously somewhere, listening to the rolling stones make me appreciate how good The Beatles were.

omg... don\'t get me started...

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 01:39:55 pm »
As I stated previously somewhere, listening to the rolling stones make me remember how much the rolling stones sucked ass.

fixed.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 02:23:15 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa;198266
As I stated previously somewhere, listening to the rolling stones make me remember how much the rolling stones sucked ass.

fixed.

Okay - I just just trying to be diplomatic, but... :that:
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 03:12:20 pm »
wow, i really don\'t get you people...  but to each his/her own.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 03:23:33 pm »
Quote from: galenas;198274

wait, who said anything about transexuals?

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 04:07:13 pm »
Rolling Stones Sucked ????

Wow. Just when I think I have .infoers figured out.

Their early stuff is great and Keith Richards is the man when it comes to writing really cool guitar riffs.

Not a huge fan but I would never use the word suck
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Dweasel Weasel

• b\'fam legal counsel
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 05:32:33 pm »
I was only a casual Stones fan until I saw them at their unannounced show at Toad\'s Place in the summer of 1989.  Don\'t know what their energy is like these days, but at that show, I was schooled in how straight up rock should be played.  Their feel and groove was spectacular and I gained heeps of respect for them.

Of course, I can understand why fans of high musicianship and technical skill would think they suck.  They aren\'t skilled technicians.   But, like Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker, there\'s something to be said about the redeeming value of soul and feel. And Keith is saturated with it....
Just looking for peace.  Seriously.

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 05:51:06 pm »
love the stones!!

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 05:54:44 pm »
The Stones kick ass.  Granted, I love love love the Beatles, but the Stones are amazing as well.

Can\'t You Hear Me Knocking, Dead Flowers, Paint It Black, Gimme Shelter and thats not even scratching the surface.  the Beatles are a pop band that got a little rock and rolly at times.  the Stones are Rock and Roll personified.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 06:14:30 pm »
Love Painted Black, but that\'s probably because it was in every Vietnam movie or tv show ever made - and that\'s all I watched as a kid.  I personally don\'t hate them, I just can\'t stand Jagger\'s voice after 30 seconds.  And I don\'t understand how people put them on the same level as The Beatles...it\'s not even close.

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 06:51:58 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;198307
Love Painted Black, but that\'s probably because it was in every Vietnam movie or tv show ever made - and that\'s all I watched as a kid.  I personally don\'t hate them, I just can\'t stand Jagger\'s voice after 30 seconds.  And I don\'t understand how people put them on the same level as The Beatles...it\'s not even close.

Paint It Black is a fantastic song, but Eric Burdon & the New Animals did the definitive version of it - they take it to planes the Stones couldn\'t even dream about.

I have to admit to liking a lot of the Stones\' hits, but the actual albums drag and Jagger\'s voice, as has been said, is irritating, so I\'ve never replaced any of my vinyl and cassette copies from 25 years ago, other than buying the greatest hits on CD.

Now the Pretty Things on the other hand, they were (and are) still all about real rock \'n\'roll and their antics in the day made the Stones look like the Take That of the r\'n\'b scene. Then, when they went psychedelic and produced \'SF Sorrow\' and then \'Parachute\', they eclipsed everything the Stones ever did. And to think that Dick Taylor left the Stones to go to college because he thought they weren\'t going anywhere... he may have lost the chance of fame and fortune, but at least retained his artistic integrity.
Originally posted by leith
Our overseas grassroots coordinator boombox!!! The Breakfast is spreading worldwide :)

Mamalakabubadaya

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 07:13:54 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher;198304
Can\'t You Hear Me Knocking, Dead Flowers, Paint It Black, Gimme Shelter and thats not even scratching the surface.

!!!!!!!

i can\'t believe i\'m reading about the stones as being a band that "sucked".

wow.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 07:37:00 pm »
Quote from: galenas;198274

Ah, I \'m just trying to annoy dianna much like when I hugged her while wearing a youk jersey. I like a couple of the songs from the early 60\'s like off of my cloud and mothers little helper, but overall they just do nothing for me. I\'ve said it before, I could condense their entire catalog to 2 cd\'s worth of awesome music I like. The rest of it I could care less about.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 08:47:52 pm »
Their catalog is HUGE so their is def. some shit in there.  That said Exile is everything a rock album should be. The Mick Taylor years (1969-1974) produced their best material by far.

Someone once me that you can\'t truly understand the Beatles until you\'ve been in love.  I agree.

I\'d like to add that you can\'t truly understand the Rolling Stones until you\'ve fucked up your life from pure recklessness.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.