Author Topic: Rage Against The Machine to reunite for Coachella 2007  (Read 2457 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Rage Against The Machine to reunite for Coachella 2007
« on: January 22, 2007, 07:28:16 am »
Rage Against the Machine will reunite for Coachella
Red Hot Chili Peppers and Björk also top the bill for the three-day music festival.

Rage Against the Machine, the seminal L.A. band that made heavy music into political manifesto, will reunite after a seven-year lull for one show as the headliners at the 2007 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival.

Sources say Rage, which played the main stage at the first Coachella in 1999, will be joined by other familiar faces for the eighth edition of the festival, which covers three days this year and begins April 27: Red Hot Chili Peppers, which headlined in 2003, are back, as is Björk, who topped the bill in 2002.

Organizers were mum this weekend and it was not clear which day Rage or the other acts were slotted to play; that announcement is expected in the next few days. Other acts expected in the eclectic lineup: Arcade Fire, Interpol, Willie Nelson, the Roots, Manu Chao, the Decemberists, Arctic Monkeys, Sonic Youth, Crowded House, Air, Tiësto and Kings of Leon.

Tickets go on sale Saturday, via Ticketmaster. Three-day passes will cost about $250 and there will be a limited number of single-day passes available.

The headliners are not novel, but they are potent. The Peppers are up for their first best album Grammy right now, and Björk remains a mesmerizing figure to fans of avant pop. But in Southern California rock circles, there is very little that could compete with the excitement of a Rage Against the Machine reunion. The quartet\'s hybrid of funk, rap, metal and leftist ideology was as subtle as a Molotov cocktail; in the 1990s, its aggro-anthems made it the only band that mattered to a fan base that included East L.A. protest kids as well as those in Hollywood punk circles, college dorms and mainstream rock festival mosh pits, where politics were secondary to the group\'s feral energy.

The band is vocalist Zack de la Rocha, guitarist Tom Morello, bassist Tim Commerford and drummer Brad Wilk. Their split came amid rumors of bad blood between De la Rocha and his mates, who went on to work with Chris Cornell in Audioslave. However, Morello and De la Rocha appeared together at a 2005 rally for the urban farmers of a South Los Angeles community garden.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-coachella22jan22,1,6747076.story?coll=la-headlines-entnews&ctrack=1&cset=true

Buquebus

• SER breakfast geek
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 10:09:47 am »
zach must need new rims for his mercedes suv...:sigh:
in all seriousness though, these guys wrote and performed some of the most powerful music I\'ve ever heard...
Not sure what is gonna transpire. Regardless, we ain\'t gonna forget the gravy.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 10:14:51 am »
That makes me want to go. I have always been annoyed with myself for not going to see them.

Not to mention
RHCP :thumbsup:
Bjork :thumbsup:
Sonic Youth :thumbsup:
Willie Nelson :thumbsup:
The Roots :thumbsup:
Masturbation in the MFA

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 10:24:39 am »
I\'m really happy to hear this, and while I honestly doubt I\'ll get to this show, (although it\'s got some great names on the bill) it\' sgood to hear anyway, and hopefully it may mean more collaborations in the future.

on a sidenote, IMHO their first album is a flat out classic, easily one that I can start and not skip a single track on the album, something I can always return to and it\'s still as good as the first time I heard it.  Their next album was good but not quite as good as the first, the third not as good second ect........  none the less, great band.
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

wiredchicken

• teamCosmicSpacewayRhyme
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 10:27:05 am »
god i hope this turns into more than a one-off show

Buquebus

• SER breakfast geek
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 10:33:41 am »
anyone on here lucky enough to see the Rage/wuTang cobill from back in the day???  my only time seeing them was when they toured with Gang Starr and At The Drive In.. one of the sickest musical experiences i\'ve ever had...
Not sure what is gonna transpire. Regardless, we ain\'t gonna forget the gravy.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 10:43:09 am »
Quote from: Buquebus;131759
anyone on here lucky enough to see the Rage/wuTang cobill from back in the day???  my only time seeing them was when they toured with Gang Starr and At The Drive In.. one of the sickest musical experiences i\'ve ever had...

i skipped my would-be first phish show (the great went) to see rage/wu at the meadows. 2nd row seats, outside of the pit. one of the most insane concerts i\'ve ever been to (what with the fence being burned down and all), and to this day, i don\'t regret missing the went for it.

also saw rage at the new haven coliseum on the Battle Of LA tour. first section from the stage on the side, 5 rows up. the most i\'ve ever sweat at a concert. i looked like stevie walking out of a mid-june porter\'s show by the time it was over. :)

wiredchicken

• teamCosmicSpacewayRhyme
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 10:47:38 am »
i saw them with the Beastie\'s at Continental.  easily one of the best nights of music i have seen.(somehow, the beastie\'s are involved in a bunch of my \'best ever\' concerts)

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 12:57:49 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn;131756
That makes me want to go. I have always been annoyed with myself for not going to see them.

Not to mention

Quote from: davepeck;131762

also saw rage at the new haven coliseum on the Battle Of LA tour. first section from the stage on the side, 5 rows up. the most i\'ve ever sweat at a concert. i looked like stevie walking out of a mid-june porter\'s show by the time it was over. :)

Deblock myself and my friend Ben from high school were first row but way back in one of the corners of the venue away from the stage. Perfect view right over the floor. One of the best shows I\'ve ever seen. I wanted to go to the wu/rage show but couldn\'t get off of work. Remeber the bass setup the openeing act had? It was just the entire stage! Like the deads wall of sound but all for bass. :P

That show sounds great. Would love to see them again. I will say this though if they come back: I am severly dissapointed in you rage. YOu had the oportunity to make some of the best political statments you ever could have if you had simply kept going given bush in office, but you played it safe and broke up. Now that he is leaving office in a little bit you come back? For shame. Unless you get out and become extremely political over the elections in 08, you will never be the band you once were.

You ain\'t gonna get to me like you did my man fred hampton. :banrock:
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 01:08:59 pm »
I think the actual breaking up was respectable and almost makes lends more clout to what they had to say.

Getting back together seems a little weak. But I still want to see them. :)

I have heard several people say that Wu-Tang put on a terrible show. Too many people on stage, bunch of disorganized sound, them... drunk by the end of the show... Nothing good to listen to at all.
Masturbation in the MFA

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 01:37:38 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn;131756

Not to mention

Sonic Youth is supposed to be at Lupo\'s in a couple weeks
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 02:22:29 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn;131782
I think the actual breaking up was respectable and almost makes lends more clout to what they had to say.

Getting back together seems a little weak. But I still want to see them. :)

Well Coachella is known for this type of thing. \'06 had Tool\'s first perfromance in 4 years, \'05 had Bauhaus and Gang of Four, \'04 was the Pixies \'03, Iggy Pop w/The Stooges
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 02:48:02 pm »
Quote from: derickw;131783
Sonic Youth is supposed to be at Lupo\'s in a couple weeks

Thanks for the headsup. Though I\'ll probably forget...

Leith... hmm. I wasn\'t aware. Interesting.

For such a big deal, you would think their website would be updated. Maybe I have the wrong address. I went to coachella.com and they only had the information for last year\'s fest.
Masturbation in the MFA

justinmcdonald

• G-daddy purps & M. I.
    • http://www.myspace.com/kinddud
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 09:14:07 pm »
I have heard several people say that Wu-Tang put on a terrible show. Too many people on stage, bunch of disorganized sound, them... drunk by the end of the show... Nothing good to listen to at all.

WU TANG was great last year in Springfield!
George Bush inspires me to know what\'s going on in the World...because he doesn\'t.

Grandaddy Purps and the Moldy Iceberg
"I love mold but do not like iceberg lettuce one bit. Icebergs are nice though, because... I like ponds." J.H.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 12:51:03 am »
I realize that the headline rock acts at Coachella are the biggest ticket sellers.  However, what jumps out at me more are the DJ and hiphop names on the list.  DJ Shadow + Tiesto + Paul Oakenfold + Paul Van Dyk = the absolute A-list of club DJs, and El-P + Ozomatli + The Roots + Ghostface + Pharoahe Monch + Lupe Fiasco + The Coup = a very, very strong underground hiphop element.  If I go I\'ll personally get more satisfaction out of easily sliding into the first 20 rows with good music fans to see these great acts than I will battling 75,000 drunk-off-their-ass kids to see Rage.    That\'s nothing against Rage, they rule(d), but you know it\'s gonna be an all-out shit show when they play.  More power to ya if that\'s your thing!  What also makes me feel weird is that the full schedule with time slots that was up on Saturday gave 45 minutes to every act, except the 3 headliners who had 1:15.  There were a couple of key conflicts as well.  I\'d rather see half the bands get twice the time.  45 minutes isn\'t enough to get anything too ser going.  It starts, they play 6 songs, you blink, and it\'s over, and you\'re left standing there thinking WTF!  These new mega-festivals always oooh and aaah you on paper but the reality of being at them is always risky.  If this were within an 8 hour drive I\'d go but I doubt cross-country is gonna happen for me.  I guess I\'m just into small fests and full individual shows more than mega-fests right now.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 12:55:25 am by Wolfman »