Author Topic: .info, tell me about cell phones/plans  (Read 2498 times)

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
.info, tell me about cell phones/plans
« on: April 12, 2010, 11:18:31 am »
Hey all...

My phone finally died on me this weekend and I am looking to get a new phone.  Not sure where I stand w/ Verizon...might not be able to cancel.  That being said:

1.) What is the best (value) phone available for Verizon?  From what I understand Verizon now requires $30/mo data plans for all its blackberries and smart phones.  Is there a way around this?

2.) What is the best phone/plan from other cell phone companies?  I was doing some research and I see T-mobile is pretty reasonable.  Looks like I can get a blackberry pearl free for opening an account.  Also looks like reasonable plans (I\'m looking at 500 talk for $40/mo.  I guess I would add $15/mo for unlimited text?) w/o having to pay data rates.  From what I understand you can get Free Wifi internet if you set up your phone correctly.

Anyway, anyone who wants to provide some insight I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

lilblondie

• the FU queen
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 01:31:40 pm »
If you have Verizon you just march yourself back in there with that broken phone and dont leave until you get a new one. Why and how did it break? I think that cellphone prices are the biggest rip off. My lovely pink razor phone broke and I was up for my "free" upgrade in a week and the girl wouldnt give it to me at first. But then took a bunch off the price in the end because I put on my best smile and bitch voice. That very phone died on its own two months later and when I went to get a new one they told me they had no phones in the store. Oh really? A phone store with no phones, that is interesting. With my best smile I told them to find one and they did. That being said, do you need me to go with you? Haha.
maybe the sun will shine today...
the clouds will roll away..
maybe i wont be so afraid..
i will understand that everything has its plan...
either way...

NickNels

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 01:43:16 pm »
I had the phone on my night stand and spilled some water on it.  By the next morning all my screen was showing was white.  Def. need a new phone.  I\'m not sure what my upgrade status is, but I will see when i head over there later today.

I wouldn\'t mind a blackberry or smart phone, but apparently they require a $30/mo data plan on top of my regular plan.  I might just get another generic flip phone without all the bells and whistles.

Blondie...if i need help maybe i\'ll just get you on a conference call ;)

lilblondie

• the FU queen
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 03:14:28 pm »
I got your back and even with my red ENV (Which according to Spacecakes is not sexy enough or up to date. However that is the phone that Gwnyth is using in the new Iron Man..so in your face!)  I needed to get the data plan to have unlimited texts. Like I said they are a rip off. Dont say you spilled water on it, just say you woke up and it didn\'t work. It\'s all about the smile and jerk voice, I will be on call for you brotha.
maybe the sun will shine today...
the clouds will roll away..
maybe i wont be so afraid..
i will understand that everything has its plan...
either way...

dj dizzy k

• Breakfast connoisseur
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 03:43:35 pm »
If you are able to get out of your current plan, check out wirefly.com...They are basically a middle man between the cell phone carriers and you, and can offer very drastic discounts on all the nicest phones. Alot of them are actually free...I signed up with Tmobile through them, and got a Samsung Behold for free (retailed at 400+ at the time). They also offer free shipping. The only downside is that you can\'t downgrade your plan once it is set or cancel your service without paying full price for the phone. But if you can figure out how many minutes, texts and web you will need without going overboard, you should be able to set yourself up pretty nicely. I signed up with Tmobile through wirefly for 700 whenever minutes, unlimited web and text, and free nights and weekends for about 78 bucks a month after taxes, and got a super nice touch screen phone for nothing. Hope this helps!

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 04:59:08 pm »
Iphone all the way!
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 06:19:50 pm »
i have t-mobile and they have been my favorite so far. over the last 10 years,  I have had cingular (at & t), verizon, and sprint.   t-mobile is the cheapest.  and i even have a second line for the hubs.  bill is like 80 bucks every month for two phones. not bad.  and we have unlimited texts, etc.   my least favorite was sprint.  awful. expensive and i never had service.  verizon had the best service but they were a tad pricey.

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 06:37:20 pm »
Quote from: NickNels;255669
I had the phone on my night stand and spilled some water on it.

microwave it for about 3 minutes. should solve all your problems
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 07:01:46 pm »
Quote from: zuke583;255680
Quote from: NickNels;255669
I had the phone on my night stand and spilled some water on it.

microwave it for about 3 minutes. should solve all your problems

actually put it in a bag of white rice over night .  if that doesnt work youre due
*Gia*

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 08:21:58 pm »
sprint pwns.
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

NickNels

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 09:35:34 am »
ended up going down to Verizon yesterday and realized I was still committed on my contract.  I did have an upgrade however so I at least got a nicer phone than I had.  Not a smart phone, but it can surf the web.  I\'m trying out an internet subscription for $10/mo.  If I don\'t use/like it i can cancel after 30 days.

Mamalakabubadaya

• http://
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 09:46:51 am »
get a blackberry

NickNels

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 10:22:03 am »
Quote from: Mamalakabubadaya;255705
get a blackberry

blackberries require a $30/mo data plan...not interested

I just found this though:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5189

Seems like a good in between for my phone and a smart phone.  There is a 14 day return policy, so maybe I can get the Chocolate Touch at a comprable price.

NickNels

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 03:32:37 pm »
so....

LG Choc Touch vs. Samsung Rouge

Anyone have any of these or want to offer some advice?  These phones you can get with the $10/mo data plan.  Since I don\'t plan on d/l music on my phone (just syncing music from my computer) this should be plenty.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 03:36:01 pm by NickNels »

kartoon42

• overexposed
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 09:58:14 am »
just got blackberry storm 2, its sick. blackberry def the way to go
break it down, simplify