Author Topic: The 2009 Major League Baseball Thread  (Read 33821 times)

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
The 2009 Major League Baseball Thread
« Reply #420 on: October 26, 2009, 06:07:50 am »
So now that there\'s no California team for you to root for, who do you root for Leith?
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #421 on: October 26, 2009, 11:49:35 am »
If I bother watching I\'m rooting for the Phillies/Fuck the Evil empire.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #422 on: October 26, 2009, 11:59:36 am »
I really don\'t the evil empire monicker, but so be it...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #423 on: November 05, 2009, 06:12:06 am »
The Yankees Win! TTTTHHHHEEE YYYYYAAAANNNNNKKKKKEEEEESSSS WIN!

kartoon42

• overexposed
« Reply #424 on: November 05, 2009, 07:13:45 am »
fuck the yankees
break it down, simplify

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #425 on: November 05, 2009, 08:37:54 am »
i love that commercial with all the nba athletes and nfl athletes lifting weights, playing hard out on the field, chanting on the bus etc. then it shows jeter just standing there with a bat in his hand not doing shit. great work ethic guy.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #426 on: November 05, 2009, 08:58:20 am »
Another satisfied Masshole Red Sux fan...   Spread the love...

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #427 on: November 05, 2009, 09:45:37 am »
Quote from: Vassillios;245418
i love that commercial with all the nba athletes and nfl athletes lifting weights, playing hard out on the field, chanting on the bus etc. then it shows jeter just standing there with a bat in his hand not doing shit. great work ethic guy.
I saw that the other day. Made me laugh. You would think DJ would pipe up at some point and suggest that maybe they show him taking a lap around a gym or something.

Anyway, I\'m glad we got the first exciting World Series in six years, and a little disappointed that this is what constitutes an "exciting World Series" these days. A few random thoughts:

Tim McCarver actually said something last night to the effect of: “the Yankees have silenced the Phillies’ left-handed hitters, except for Chase Utley”. That’s kind of like the guys from Jaws coming back to Amity Island and saying, “Hey, we killed a couple of sharks. Not the huge one that’s been eating people, but still”.

The genesis of the “Who’s your daddy” chant is kind of strange. It’s a reference to a comment that Pedro Martinez made about himself prior to the Yankees blowing a 3-0 lead  to the Red Sox in the 2004 ALCS. The facistic Party doesn’t go around using old Michael Dukakis campaign slogans.

I think the “saves” statistic is most overrated stat in sports, but Mariano Rivera is easily one of the five greatest pitchers (who have never been linked to steroids) in the past 25 years. He has reached Michael Jordan status. Remember when it was more noteworthy when Jordan was held to 10 points than when he scored 40? That’s where Rivera is. Not only do we expect him to close every game, but we’re not even impressed unless it’s a five-out save.

You can tell who the real Yankees fans are today: the ones who haven’t mentioned the Red Sox.

I\'m kind of happy for the Yankees players today (well, as happy as a Red Sox fan can be). Swisher and Burnett tend to be douches, but I like most of the guys on the club.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #428 on: November 05, 2009, 10:00:41 am »
I only mentioned the Sox because the kartoon had to say "fuck the yankees"; his profile says he\'s from MA so I put one and one together and made an educated guess on where his loyalties lie...

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #429 on: November 05, 2009, 10:42:15 am »
Quote from: Yoda;245440
I only mentioned the Sox because the kartoon had to say "fuck the yankees"; his profile says he\'s from MA so I put one and one together and made an educated guess on where his loyalties lie...

I actually wrote that before I read your post, but it\'s always good to know somebody\'s reading.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #430 on: November 05, 2009, 11:04:47 am »
With all the yankee hatred around here, I have to do a lot of damage control...

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
    • http://
« Reply #431 on: November 05, 2009, 03:35:55 pm »
Well as much as I hate the fucking Yankees and am entirely disgusted that they won, at least I can take some solace in the fact that Cole "Choke Artist" Hamels and Pedro "Please Retire" Martinez completely ate shit in this series.

kartoon42

• overexposed
« Reply #432 on: November 05, 2009, 06:01:04 pm »
Quote from: ChrisPitch;245477
Well as much as I hate the fucking Yankees and am entirely disgusted that they won, at least I can take some solace in the fact that Cole "Choke Artist" Hamels and Pedro "Please Retire" Martinez completely ate shit in this series.

pretty much my thoughts exactly. i will say this, as much as i hate the yankees and it pains me to see them win, i am happy for matsui. i know i am suppossed to hate all the yankees, but that guy never bothered me. good for him.

gayrod is still a juiced up douche
break it down, simplify

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #433 on: November 05, 2009, 09:31:38 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;244666
I really don\'t the evil empire monicker, but so be it...

I assume you meant to write "I really don\'t GET the evil empire moniker...." Here\'s one reason:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/salaries
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #434 on: November 08, 2009, 02:42:26 am »
Wow I only watched 1 complete game and some of 2 others. For the first time in my life I actually did not give a fuck really about The World Series.
Weird.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.