Author Topic: Existential Funk !  (Read 2703 times)

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Existential Funk !
« on: November 18, 2009, 11:04:19 am »
No thread for this yet so I\'m makin\' one.

I think this song\'s a near-instant classic. Saw the debut @ Iron Horse and was totally diggin the opening riff as well as Tim\'s fast rhythm guitar "Gladys-like section"... saw some room for growth and refinement in the song but I was confident the heady brahs in Breakfast would only be playing this better and better with more practice. The next night @ Higher Ground I wasn\'t there but hearing the tapes I could tell this song was taking off.

Mill Street version really nails it! Adrians drumming was super intricate, Jordan\'s locked in, Dangle lays down an undeniable groove, and Tim sounds way more confident slaying the guitar on it. The transition into the jam is fantastic! The jam itself moves along at the most proper pace.

Really I could care less if the band doesn\'t come out with that many new songs... when we\'re talking about songs like Existential Funk, Rush, Metropolis, Synergy, Tunage... these are heavy mofuckin\' hitters. Rather have the band take the time to keep coming out with fire new songs then be like Phish and release 2 CD\'s of mostly boring snoozefest anthems in one year.

Stuff that might make Existential Funk even more fire... (since it\'s new, what the heck)..

- Jam out the superfast rhythm / megafunk section like 4x as long. Maybe not every time? I can\'t get enough of this stuff though. It\'s what makes Gladys and Score kick ass.

Ahh that\'s all I can think of besides the vocals which I think are pretty great and will probably just get way better the more times they play it.

Existential Funk -- that\'s my groove yo! Baller songwriting Chris. Ash likes it just as much as I do, she was asking what it was when I was playing it last night.

Play it at Sullys!
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
Existential Funk !
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:46:21 am »
it has grown on me. first time i wasn\'t too impressed, but i do like the guitar bass lick in the middle of the song. catchy vocals too.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Existential Funk !
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 03:24:18 pm »
So me and sorta-Vassilios are the only ones around here who like to get existentially funkkkky!?
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
Existential Funk !
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 03:27:48 pm »
its still gelling. the first performance was pretty rough,. its getting better, but still needs to time...

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Existential Funk !
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 03:29:33 pm »
Yeah 1st cut was a little unpolished ... but have no fear it went over really well with the Iron Horse crowd anyway :)

jking

• thanks!!
Existential Funk !
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 03:32:04 pm »
jesus, that last sentence of mine was only tangentially related to english! glad you could understand it!! :lol:

and yeah, the 11/13 version is much better and there\'re definitely potential in there for a real monster. like i said, just needs some more time to really get set, like any new tune.

boombox

• SER Euro Fan
Existential Funk !
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 11:55:39 am »
Me like!
Originally posted by leith
Our overseas grassroots coordinator boombox!!! The Breakfast is spreading worldwide :)

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Existential Funk !
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 08:40:06 am »
I like this song a lot, but it\'s starting to wear on me...   Since it\'s FTP, there\'ve been 12 shows and it\'s been played 9 times (and I don\'t really want to include 11/24 because they essentially played one song and a jam, but I did)...  Again, I love the song, but every show?
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
Existential Funk !
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 08:41:52 am »
Quote from: Yoda;248019
I like this song a lot, but it\'s starting to wear on me...   Since it\'s FTP, there\'ve been 12 shows and it\'s been played 9 times (and I don\'t really want to include 11/24 because they essentially played one song and a jam, but I did)...  Again, I love the song, but every show?

stop going to so many shows, brah!
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Existential Funk !
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 08:43:56 am »
Quote from: zuke583;248020
Quote from: Yoda;248019

stop going to so many shows, brah!

:muahaha:  Sorry, I like to scrutinize setlists... With all the bitching about Phish playing the same songs in the rotation, I figure I\'d bring the light back on TB for a little bit...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

frolfer

• breakfast geek
Existential Funk !
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 08:58:39 am »
I like the ExFunk a bunch. The song has improved a lot since the debut, which is always a good psygn. I dig the vocal cascades at the end. Would love to hear a What the funk/ExFunk super sandwich. WTF > ExFunk > Funk > Funk > Funk-A > Funk and so on, maybe for a whole set. Topped off with Night of the Thumpy Peoples.

Great song Chris. A welcome addition to the catalog.

**maybe it is appearing in a bunch of setlists but it is a new song, let them have some fun with it. I think they may be enjoying it!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:01:20 am by frolfer »
Painted wind and sound, sun and all the clouds, oohooh

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Existential Funk !
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 10:57:40 am »
What The Existential Funk-wich would be prime!

I agree the band must be having a blast playing this awesome new song. Personally I want to hear it at just about every upcoming Breakfast show I plan to attend. Maybe in a few months I might like to see it dropped a little more sparingly... but for now I think it\'s a serious heavy hitter and a really brilliant song that just gets better every time.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
Existential Funk !
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 04:26:48 pm »
So Existential Funk is the new Honeybutter?

Inner Glimpse was the overplayed tune of the Real Radio tour.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Existential Funk !
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 05:56:44 pm »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu;248070
So Existential Funk is the new Honeybutter?

Inner Glimpse was the overplayed tune of the Real Radio tour.

This reminds me of Thanksgiving this year. I kept being offered Honey Butter for my cornbread and every time I would giggle.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Existential Funk !
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 10:40:46 pm »
best song ever. haters eat a d.