Author Topic: Time/Space Discussion Thread  (Read 4191 times)

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
Time/Space Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2009, 09:04:53 am »
i hope we see some desmond action tomorrow
Postcount +1.

tyzack

• http://
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2009, 09:29:30 am »
Quote from: Jim Cobb;230088
Quote from: tyzack;230086
The difference between the evolution of the naturual brain and the evolution of the atrifocal brian is that one is a, from our stand point, a purely natural process.

The other, we are trying to take what we know about how our own brains function and map it to a simulation.

The day that a calculator can naturally turn itself into a super computer is the day the computers have equaled the human brain.

how is our creation of any intelligence NOT a natural process??

if we wanna look at it from a religious standpoint, god created us in his image so why shouldn\'t we have an intrinsic need to create ourselves?

and look, we\'re in a bit of a situation here on earth, if you haven\'t noticed.  Don\'t you think it\'s possible that we\'re building a new vessel for our consciousness that transcends the limitations of our current biology?  go look at the kinds of things DARPA is up to these days and then tell me we\'re not about to be faced with some major decisions about the "ethics" of the things we\'ll be capable of...

I have no doubt that we are rapidly approaching a point of having to redefine alot of terms; conciouness, awareness, intelligence, due to what we are doing with computers.

From the last papers I have read, the real limitation is not in the creating of the "brian" or the algorithms that go into desicion makings. These concepts are well understood and somewhat easy to grasp; they have been around for 50 or so years.

The what is not in question, the how is. Computations per seconds and thoughts per second are completely different.

I have no doubt that very shortly, probably well before your graph would suggest, we will produce a reasonably self aware machine. While I have no problem with this, there might be religous objections.

What is human? Is sexual reproduction that only way of creating more humans? What is the difference between creating intelligant computers and clones? Especially if we are able to construct "bodies" to put the intelligant computers in.

Cloning and intelligant computers pose the same questions from different angles:
If we are able to create a soul without a container (intelligant computer) or a container without a soul (clone) what does that mean for those of us who are both soul and container?

There are alot of ways to define life, the best way is something that has a state of either alive or dead, and can reproduce. There are, in theory, no restrictions on how a living being can reproduce. This could all just be a mute point.

Personally, I would say that if either can be created decoupled from the other, that would point really to one of two things (and I do not know which one I would honestly chose, but I can tell you which one I hope is true):

1.) We are pure conduits of another engery or intelligence source that is far beyond our comprehension. The manor in which we create new souls or containers, while they might apear different to us, from the "futher out" perceptive are the same, and therefore don\'t really matter.

2.) We are nothing more than a punch of atoms randomly combined to create something that seems to have intelligence enough to know what it is, and to create more of it. How we create more of it does not matter.

...Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really maters to me.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2009, 09:38:48 am »
I do not know anyone named Time.

End of discussion.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

KEN RAFLOWITZ

• Weird Ken Yankodic
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2009, 10:16:22 pm »
Timey/Spacey disgust shun :starwars:

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2009, 11:10:58 pm »
FRINGE breaking new ground tonight!  I won\'t give anything away, but it puts forth an interesting concept, but has yet to fully define it yet.
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

inthewhitelodge

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2009, 10:25:41 am »
I enjoy watching David Lynch\'s films because of his manipulation of \'Time\'. The latest movie Inland Empire is incredible. Waves and alternate reality...
"When I hold you, I hold everything that is-- swans, volcanoes, river rocks, maple trees drinking the fragrance of the moon, bread that the fire adores. In your life I see everything that lives."- Pablo Neruda:wave:

KEN RAFLOWITZ

• Weird Ken Yankodic
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2009, 02:24:03 pm »
There is no time for space.
Therefore, the space takes up too much time.
The time it takes to make the space,
does not give the space time for the making.  

Swami Bananahedananda