Author Topic: Burger battle brewing between Texas, Connecticut  (Read 2013 times)

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Burger battle brewing between Texas, Connecticut
« on: January 17, 2007, 12:07:19 pm »
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (AP) -- A burger battle is brewing between a Texas state legislator and the owners of a restaurant who claim the hamburger was invented in New Haven, Connecticut.

With the new session of the Texas legislature now under way, facist State Rep. Betty Brown has proposed a resolution declaring Athens, Texas, the original home of the hamburger.

Brown, an Athens resident, says that a long-ago resident of the town had a luncheonette in the late 1880s and sold the first burgers there.

Those claims are not sitting well with Ken Lassen Sr., 89, the third-generation owner of New Haven eatery Louis\' Lunch, established in 1895. He says his grandfather came up with the first hamburger there.

Lassen said it happened in 1900 when a man rushed into the restaurant asked for something he could eat on the run. Ken Lassen\'s grandfather grabbed a broiled beef patty and put it between two slices of bread.

Mayor John DeStefano Jr., advocating for his city, backs the Lassens and their claims.

"We are even the birthplace of George Bush who wants people to think he\'s from Texas," the mayor said. "So yes, the hamburger is as much a New Haven original as President Bush. Get over it, Texas."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Ah John, great quote right there!

source
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 12:33:13 pm »
THAT EXPLAINS THE NEWS TRUCKS IN FRONT OF bar ON MONDAY NIGHT. FOR THOSE NEWBIER THAN ME.....BAR IS ACROSS THE STREET FORM LOU\'S.

Mamalakabubadaya

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 02:14:17 pm »
ha! too funny..i noticed news vans when i was walking over to bar the other night and asked one of the bums outside what was going on. got some kind of response like "they trying to sue texas because of a cheeseburger" and doubted his credibility... i should of known better. good story.

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 02:21:42 pm »
the bums always know what\'s going on. Tip your pan handlers! :P
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 02:32:25 pm »
i saw the article on the front page of the NH Register the other day.  The little old man who owns it is really pissed off.  I dont blame him.  To be honest, i\'ve never been there.  they are always closed when i am in that vacinity. But i heard they are damn good.   i usually get a burger from the educated burger on broadway.

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 02:39:30 pm »
<- not big on burgers.

I\'m not vegetarian but I\'d rather have a veggie burger. It\'s really rare that I eat red meat. :shrug:

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 04:24:01 pm »
i dig lou\'s...it\'s certainly a landmark.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 05:14:47 pm »
I have seen specials on the food network about Lou\'s. They have the original flame grills that have been there since the beginning. The put them in these special upright grills that they have always used.

I had no idea it was accross form Bar until Last year at Toads in the summer when we were walking around I noticed it. Still haven\'t had a burger there yet. We ended up eating around the corner at this place called Pacifico. That place is unreal. the food was soo good. top 10 meals in my life easy
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 06:08:21 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa;131246
<- not big on burgers.

I\'m not vegetarian but I\'d rather have a veggie burger. It\'s really rare that I eat red meat. :shrug:

I\'m not big into red meat, either. But sometimes i get a craving.  Usually I just eat fish.

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 06:19:12 pm »
mike...i LOVE pacifico. it is awesome. bring your wallet, but you won\'t be disappointed. be sure to have a mojito and the paiella is unreal

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 11:27:19 am »
Quote from: oldnewbie;131276
mike...i LOVE pacifico. it is awesome. bring your wallet, but you won\'t be disappointed. be sure to have a mojito and the paiella is unreal

We were very under dressed for the place but they were pretty cool and sat us anyway. They have a huge Tequila menu as well. The food is so damn good but you are correct it is not cheap. Great little area for restaurants in New Haven. I was very impressed
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 11:29:54 am »
Quote from: kindm\'s;131351
Great little area for restaurants in New Haven. I was very impressed

Yea, the locals like to call it "Yale campus".

:duck:

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 11:45:43 am »
Quote from: FrankZappa;131353
Yea, the locals like to call it "Yale campus".

:duck:

Is it all technically Yale Campus there ? I am asking for info purposes. I didn\'t think the area around New Haven Green was technically the campus. How much of that area is the campus ?

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 12:06:20 pm »

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 01:27:52 pm »
Well according to the map you linked the corner of College and Crown does not appear to be part of the campus (it is in that orange color) but I see how the campus is basically all of downtown in a way.

I did not know that locals referred to the entire downtown area of New Haven as "Yale Campus"

But I can see why. Learn something new everyday