Author Topic: Setlist: 2008-08-30 - The Field; Bridgeport, CT  (Read 8409 times)

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
Setlist: 2008-08-30 - The Field; Bridgeport, CT
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 03:11:53 pm »
From what I heard, the late start was not the band\'s fault (at least not entirely) this time. The show was supposed to open with Gravity, which would have been nice, but I think starting straight in with Escher\'s 1 set a great tone for the rest of the show. The band really wasn\'t fucking around last night, opting to jump right into the composed sections of the tunes and let the jams come to them instead of using the jam > structure that has been prevalent as of late.

While I really like both songs at heart, I was never totally on board with Reel Time and And She Was based upon live recordings. But after seeing them both live and electric for the first time last night, and thus being able to take crowd energy into account, I am absolutely sold.

I\'m glad I twisted my own arm into going out last night, even though it meant sacrificing a trip to Branstock. See you all at Beatles A-Z in a few hours.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 03:57:36 pm »
what was I thinking, thinking, thinking, I could just wait till Sully\'s and get it done...

gee whiz
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 04:32:54 pm »
Show was awesome.  Buquebus came in at the first jam and went all the way through Eat Your Breakfast Cross The Nation chorus into the second jam.  When they played the rest later it was just the beginning of the song up to the first jam.  Escher\'s III was insane, like, really insane.  Adrian had the best show out of anyone.  He really let go of the beat a bunch of times in jams, challenging the rest of the band to remember where the downbeat was when the jam peaked.  That maneuver is always good for a bunch of cheers and people jamming out.  Place was packed and VERY hot, I was sweating just from light dancing, almost to the point where it was embarassing.  Then I looked at Stevie and I didn\'t feel so bad.  (Just kidding Steve.)  Very good time, weird venue but at least the show was good.  See you at the Beatles tonight!

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 08:40:48 am »
Upon second listen, I\'m pretty sure that there are "Bittersweet Symphony" and "1999" teases in And She Was. The "1999" tease may be too generic sounding to clear the bar as an official tease, but "Bittersweet Symphony" is definitely there.

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 10:39:38 am »
you will never see me write the word "dyslexic" on a setlist, unless it happens to appear in the title of a new breakfast song, or if the word somehow comes up in a FFT.

As a Breakfast archivist, why would you knowingly post an inaccurate setlist (notation)?
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 11:01:58 am »
Quote from: NickNels;201090
As a Breakfast archivist, why would you knowingly post an inaccurate setlist (notation)?

"Dyslexic" vs. "inverted" is a matter of colloquial terms, not textbook definitions. This ain\'t Camp Bisco, and we use "inverted" here. It\'s really not a big deal.

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 11:25:25 am »
Quote from: NickNels;201090

seriously this argument is retar dit.  song was fuckin invtd.
*Gia*

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 01:12:32 pm »
Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;201087
Upon second listen, I\'m pretty sure that there are "Bittersweet Symphony" and "1999" teases in And She Was. The "1999" tease may be too generic sounding to clear the bar as an official tease, but "Bittersweet Symphony" is definitely there.

yes DEFINITELY bittersweet symphony teases in there and there was also a fresh cut tease at the beginning of reel time that was enough of a fake out that it definitely also deserves setlist notation.

Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;201092
This ain\'t Camp Bisco

:lol: :drew: :point: :yay: :thumbsup: rotfl

yeah seriously, at the risk of offending folks, i gotta say, if i had my way, the breakfast scene would repel disco biscuit fans...  i know i\'m generalizing.  there are plenty of disco biscuit fans who are very cool folks, and most of you all who listen to them would fall into that category.  however, every time i\'ve ever seen the disco biscuits, if there had been any chance of me enjoying their music (there wasn\'t, they\'re horrible IMO), it would have been ruined by the overwhelmingly obnoxious, intrusively over the top, attention seeking masses of idiot children (i\'m talking maturity, not physical age), too fucked up on some combination of any number of halucinagens, disociatives, research chemicals, uppers, etc....  the "Everyone in my immediate viscinity needs to be aware of what\'s going on my reality right now whether they like it or not" mindset really doesn\'t sit well with me when i\'m trying so hard to find some sort of redeeming quality about the band i\'m watching (you know, to justify the fact that i\'m spending time there to begin with).  at langerado, i basically had to keep my normally peaceful, spiritually fit, yogi fiance from decking a guy in the face, lol.  it feels like the opening day of american idol auditions except instead of wanting to be the best performer, these people seem to be competing to see who\'s perception of reality has been wrenched out into an alternate dimension the hardest by the most esoteric combination of mind and mood altering substances.  when the most popular and respected fan in your general vicinity is the guy who\'s dressed (if you can even call it that) like he just got off of a 1950s sci fi b-movie set, in which he played the alien flying saucer pilot, and vacillating between "dancing" (*see foot note), having to sit/lie down because it\'s all too much to handle, and physically accosting those around him order to go into a time consuming, obnoxiously loud, generally nonsensical diatribe making sure that this person is having fun and loves the disco biscuits, then something\'s just not quite right.  this is not the type of fan the breakfast needs.  in fact, i\'d say this type of fan would be detrimental to the success and progress of the band.  the breakfast aren\'t a cheesy electrojam band, they are a progressive improvisational rock band and i think the jam band scene in general is the wrong pond for them to fish in.  i mean, i know we\'re all used to the breakfast in a certain context, but if you think about it, there are a LOT of bands from all over the "rock" spectrum they could do well touring with....  

holy god.  this is long and meandering...  i\'ve kinda been doing other things and typing a couple sentences here and there...  i\'m gonna cut myself off right now.  sorry this always happens when i eat mescaline too close to my last meth hit.  gotta get that balance figured out.....

*some might argue these movements are actually involuntary muscular reactions based on several variables including, but bot limited to type/quantity of drugs ingested within the past 72 hours, variations in sound pressure level and frequency, the relative amount of similar behavior of those around him, etc.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 02:45:00 pm by Jim Cobb »
Postcount +1.

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008, 04:31:22 pm »
"Dyslexic" vs. "inverted" is a matter of colloquial terms, not textbook definitions. This ain\'t Camp Bisco, and we use "inverted" here. It\'s really not a big deal.

"An inverted version of a song will almost always happen when they jam out of a different song (Song B), and segue the jam into the ending section of Song A. At the exact point of the ending of Song A, they immediately play the beginning of Song A, then the jam section, which usually segues into a different song (Song C), or the song that proceeded the inverted song (Song B).

Example:

Non-Inverted Version of a song:
Song A (Beg.) -> Jam ->Song A (End)"

Inverted Version:
Song B -> Jam -> Song A (End) -> Song A (Beg.) -> Jam -> Song C

Basically, a song is considered dyslexic if it is broken up, similar to an inverted version, but the song structure is played out of order or not immediately following each other. The band might play the end of a song in the first set, then start off the second set with the beginning. This would be considered a dyslexic version of the song.

Example:

Dyslexic Version:
Song A -> Jam -> Song B (End), Song C, Song B (Beg.) -> Song D

Source: http://www.discobiscuits.net

I just find it strange that if would use a term like "inverted" that was popularized by the Disco Biscuits fanbase and not use the term "dyslexic" as well.  I am in no way saying the Disco Biscuits were the first to perform a song in this manner, but the actual inverted/dyslexic nomenclature have been associated with the band\'s setlists.  Why use one and not the other?  

yeah seriously, at the risk of offending folks, i gotta say, if i had my way, the breakfast scene would repel disco biscuit fans... i know i\'m generalizing. there are plenty of disco biscuit fans who are very cool folks, and most of you all who listen to them would fall into that category. however, every time i\'ve ever seen the disco biscuits, if there had been any chance of me enjoying their music (there wasn\'t, they\'re horrible IMO), it would have been ruined by the overwhelmingly obnoxious, intrusively over the top, attention seeking masses of idiot children (i\'m talking maturity, not physical age), too fucked up on some combination of any number of halucinagens, disociatives, research chemicals, uppers, etc.... the "Everyone in my immediate viscinity needs to be aware of what\'s going on my reality right now whether they like it or not" mindset really doesn\'t sit well with me when i\'m trying so hard to find some sort of redeeming quality about the band i\'m watching (you know, to justify the fact that i\'m spending time there to begin with). at langerado, i basically had to keep my normally peaceful, spiritually fit, yogi fiance from decking a guy in the face, lol. it feels like the opening day of american idol auditions except instead of wanting to be the best performer, these people seem to be competing to see who\'s perception of reality has been wrenched out into an alternate dimension the hardest by the most esoteric combination of mind and mood altering substances. when the most popular and respected fan in your general vicinity is the guy who\'s dressed (if you can even call it that) like he just got off of a 1950s sci fi b-movie set, in which he played the alien flying saucer pilot, and vacillating between "dancing" (*see foot note), having to sit/lie down because it\'s all too much to handle, and physically accosting those around him order to go into a time consuming, obnoxiously loud, generally nonsensical diatribe making sure that this person is having fun and loves the disco biscuits, then something\'s just not quite right. this is not the type of fan the breakfast needs. in fact, i\'d say this type of fan would be detrimental to the success and progress of the band. the breakfast aren\'t a cheesy electrojam band, they are a progressive improvisational rock band and i think the jam band scene in general is the wrong pond for them to fish in. i mean, i know we\'re all used to the breakfast in a certain context, but if you think about it, there are a LOT of bands from all over the "rock" spectrum they could do well touring with....

HAHAHAHA.  Wow!  That is quite the rant.  It\'s cool...the Biscuits seem to be a love \'em / hate \'em thing with most people.  Reading through your post though, I notice that most of you attention was directed toward the fanbase in regard to your hatred.  I have been seeing the Biscuits since \'02 and have seen about 70 shows...I can understand your argument.  THere are definetly some assholes in the bunch.  They can be loud, unruly, and obnoxious and if you let them bother you, they can quickly ruin your time.  The truth is though, that these are the (unfortunately) loud and vocal minority.  There are really a lot of good heads in the scene, especially if they have been seeing the band for a while.

When was the first show you went to?  THe music/fanbase has evolved/devolved over the past few years.  THey have become much bigger then when I first saw them.  Just like any large band associated with the "jam" scene, the more popular the band, the bigger the scene, the bigger the party, the more TRASH they attract.

There genuinely is a lot of great stuff coming out of this band recently.  Just like with the Breakfast, they have been developing a different sound with the new lineup.  This past year they have reached a level that I haven\'t seen since I first started seeing them.  Even though their sound now is different then what drew me in, it is still great.  I highly suggest checking out their Saturday Camp Bisco performance (set I, II, or III) as an example.

THe Disco Biscuits are my favorite (currently touring) band.  Jim we\'ve met a couple times...I think you can see that I am far from the \'scenester\' trash that you describe in your post.  There is hope.
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

peaches626

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 12:19:16 am »
again, biscuits heads appear to think they created the end all book of setlist notations.....

here at the breakfast dot info, if a song is played so that the end is before the beginning, it\'s "inverted" whether other songs are played in between the two parts or not....

personally... i don\'t really care whether it\'s called inverted, dyslexic, chopped up, mangled, or puree\'d, so long as i can understand what happened at the show
taints rule, gypsies drool!

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 07:52:03 am »
Quote from: Jim Cobb;201110
overwhelmingly obnoxious, intrusively over the top, attention seeking masses of idiot children (i\'m talking maturity, not physical age), too fucked up on some combination of any number of halucinagens, disociatives, research chemicals, uppers, etc....  the "Everyone in my immediate viscinity needs to be aware of what\'s going on my reality right now whether they like it or not" mindset really doesn\'t sit well with me when i\'m  vacillating between "dancing" (*see foot note), having to sit/lie down because it\'s all too much to handle, and physically accosting those around him order to go into a time consuming, obnoxiously loud, generally nonsensical diatribe making sure that this person is having fun and loves the disco biscuits, then something\'s just not quite right.  this is not the type of fan the breakfast needs.  in fact, i\'d say this type of fan would be detrimental to the success and progress of the band.  the breakfast aren\'t a cheesy electrojam band, they are a progressive improvisational rock band and i think the jam band scene in general is the wrong pond for them to fish in.

1st half of post = halarious, we def need more dissociatives and research chem combos in B Lot. :thumbsup:

2nd half of post , I disagree. These are exactly the fans Breakfast needs more of because they are passionate about the band and will do anything to make sure they make it to a show no matter how fucked they are. And while I don\'t find The Breakfast cheesy they can certainly bust out some sick delay-dance grooves.

I don\'t even like the Disco Biscuits but no need to be a hater :disco:  Plenty of Breakfast fans enjoy DB as well so lets try to remember we\'re all family here.

Also, The Breakfast is a jam band. Like it or not, its pretty obvious that\'s what they are no matter what anybody or even the band call themselves. No need to make up funk/rock/progressive/jam/fusion/etc genres just to make them sound better than a "jam band". They just happen to be the most funky rockin progressive fusiony etcetera jam band there is.

peace!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 07:57:47 am by bdfreetuna »
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

obsession600

• The Duke Of NY A#1
    • http://
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 10:24:15 am »
Quote from: davepeck;201048
that story ends there. let\'s talk about the show and how fucking great it was.

this bears repeating
"I taught them everything they know, but not everything I know."
"The one thing that can solve most of our problems is dancing."
-James Brown

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 10:26:58 am »
if i start seeing shady dudes in bfast lots saying in a monotone voice "dxm.....      2C-B.....      dxm......          2C-B.....", i\'m turning around and going home. ;)
Postcount +1.

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 10:39:41 am »
Quote from: Jim Cobb;201195
if i start seeing shady dudes in bfast lots saying in a monotone voice "dxm.....      2C-B.....      dxm......          2C-B.....", i\'m turning around and going home. ;)

are you crazy!?!

i\'d love it if walsh came back!
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 10:49:58 am »
Quote from: zuke583;201198
Quote from: Jim Cobb;201195

are you crazy!?!

i\'d love it if walsh came back!

:lol: