Author Topic: JamBase Real Radio review  (Read 1505 times)

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
JamBase Real Radio review
« on: August 25, 2005, 03:57:26 pm »
Says it was published July 29th but this is the first time I seen it.

By nature, I really appreciate bands like The Breakfast, which includes young, ambitious, self-taught musicians who write their own music and are guided by a challenging array of influences - all essential things missing from today\'s shiny pop industry. And while they get close once in a while on their fourth album Real Radio, it’s just missing.

The overarching problem is immaturity, and I don\'t mean an age or attitude-related immaturity. It almost feels like Real Radio is an attempt to pay homage to every influence they want to play like, which is a double-edged sword. You get some honest and challenging music, maybe even revisit a few lost riffs on your dusty vinyl, but what you miss is that original voice - that "thing" that separates a band\'s sound from the sounds a band plays. There\'s a distinct difference in that, and the Breakfast are missing it.

That said, they sound more than capable of reining that sound in enough to help create that sound. But first they have to put away all their records and listen to the sounds in their collective head. They have to stop playing it safe.

One of the only things I know about the former Psychedelic Breakfast is that they can jam, and there’s only a little of that here. Like on “Gravity,” where they take their time and eventually score when Tim Palmieri’s deft guitar weaves in and out of Jordan Giengreco’s keyboard. When the others join in (Adrian Tramontano, drums and Ron Spears, bass) it’s a tightly shredded bliss. But then it barely moves. It has very little in the way of a rock foundation, and the notes that emanate from Radio plainly spell out that they do want to rock. They’re just not doing it enough. “Sleeping Beauty” does rock, but it isn’t enough.

The very last thing I want to do is to get on a band with promise, and the Breakfast have plenty of that. I just hope they can step outside their influences and get back to jamming. Because from the sounds of things, the Breakfast have reeled in their big jam sound for a Radio-friendly pop sound, which is a bad idea.

Scott Caffrey
JamBase | New Jersey
Go See Live Music!

[Published on 7/29/2005]

http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=7012

P.S. Dave, feel free to move this to the reviews section.
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
Scott Caffrey What\'s your F@%&$* Problem [MERGED]
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 04:00:45 pm »
don\'t like the review, but i do like the line "One of the only things I know about the former Psychedelic Breakfast is that they can jam"
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 04:08:40 pm »
yeah its a bit harsh, but i hear what he\'s sayin.
Postcount +1.

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 06:02:18 pm »
I can\'t discredit anything the guy says, though I don\'t really agree.  It still sounds like he likes the band a lot.

(If this was a PT board, this guy would have a new asshole torn for him)
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 06:54:51 pm »
They (Jambase) seem to make a habit out of bashing Breakfast albums

The review they gave for the Bona Fide pissed me off enough to send the guy an e-mail but to each there own I guess. This review isn\'t 1/2 as bad as the other one
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Steffmo

• rekkid company mogul
    • http://horizonmusicgroup.com
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 12:00:06 am »
When we did Bona Fide..which jammed like crazy....they all bitched about the vocals and the lyrics.

When we gave then better songs and vocals...they bitched about the jamming.  Reviewers are ridiculous.  Honestly...there are tons of great live Breakfast recordings around.  If someone wants to hear the band live, well....they can hear those.

Some people get it, some don\'t.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 12:20:04 am »
Quote from: Steffmo
When we did Bona Fide..which jammed like crazy....they all bitched about the vocals and the lyrics.

When we gave then better songs and vocals...they bitched about the jamming.  Reviewers are ridiculous.  Honestly...there are tons of great live Breakfast recordings around.  If someone wants to hear the band live, well....they can hear those.

The Suit speaks the TRUTH ;)
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 09:05:22 am »
God forbid you give them something different and unexpected. Sheesh.
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

obsession600

• The Duke Of NY A#1
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 09:16:02 am »

I am glad you guys see this game for what it is.
What is the purpose of doing a studio album if you don\'t do something different from your live stuff? I like that the band took advantage of the opportunities offered by a studio as opposed to a stage. And as far as trying to tackle too many styles on the album, doesn\'t the name Real Radio infer that a broad spectrum of music will be presented?
"I taught them everything they know, but not everything I know."
"The one thing that can solve most of our problems is dancing."
-James Brown

Steffmo

• rekkid company mogul
    • http://horizonmusicgroup.com
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 12:58:55 pm »
Is someone implying I need to buy a SUIT.........

Geez.

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 01:01:02 pm »
what TGSOT didn\'t have enough jamming for him?
*Gia*

obsession600

• The Duke Of NY A#1
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 01:34:13 pm »
Is someone implying I need to buy a SUIT.........

Geez.

Now we know what is holding the band back. Get on that wardrobe!
"I taught them everything they know, but not everything I know."
"The one thing that can solve most of our problems is dancing."
-James Brown

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 01:52:15 pm »
I have trouble with this writers claim that TB is missing an original voice.  Their voice is a hell of a lot more original then this writers review... reads like a cut and paste job from every other review I\'ve read over the years.  Example # 5548542 why I need to stop reading reviews.

Dyed_Tie

• Right There That\'s It Yes
Scott Caffrey What\'s your F@%&$* Problem
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 09:22:52 pm »
I was Checking out JamBase when I came across a review for Real Radio...

By nature, I really appreciate bands like The Breakfast, which includes young, ambitious, self-taught musicians who write their own music and are guided by a challenging array of influences - all essential things missing from today\'s shiny pop industry. And while they get close once in a while on their fourth album Real Radio, it’s just missing.

The overarching problem is immaturity, and I don\'t mean an age or attitude-related immaturity. It almost feels like Real Radio is an attempt to pay homage to every influence they want to play like, which is a double-edged sword. You get some honest and challenging music, maybe even revisit a few lost riffs on your dusty vinyl, but what you miss is that original voice - that "thing" that separates a band\'s sound from the sounds a band plays. There\'s a distinct difference in that, and the Breakfast are missing it.

That said, they sound more than capable of reining that sound in enough to help create that sound. But first they have to put away all their records and listen to the sounds in their collective head. They have to stop playing it safe.

One of the only things I know about the former Psychedelic Breakfast is that they can jam, and there’s only a little of that here. Like on “Gravity,” where they take their time and eventually score when Tim Palmieri’s deft guitar weaves in and out of Jordan Giengreco’s keyboard. When the others join in (Adrian Tramontano, drums and Ron Spears, bass) it’s a tightly shredded bliss. But then it barely moves. It has very little in the way of a rock foundation, and the notes that emanate from Radio plainly spell out that they do want to rock. They’re just not doing it enough. “Sleeping Beauty” does rock, but it isn’t enough.

The very last thing I want to do is to get on a band with promise, and the Breakfast have plenty of that. I just hope they can step outside their influences and get back to jamming. Because from the sounds of things, the Breakfast have reeled in their big jam sound for a Radio-friendly pop sound, which is a bad idea.

Scott Caffrey
JamBase | New Jersey
Go See Live Music!

[Published on 7/29/2005]

So I did my duty as a Ser Breakfast geek and tore this guy a new one.

tie_dyed :: 9/21/2005 6:18:20 PM ::

I give a one star rating to this review because there is no zero rating. I feel the critic doesn\'t really have any idea what he\'s writing about.

Maybe there are a few similarities between The Breakfast and the many bands that influence them but that\'s what influences are for. While I agree if you listen to this band you could hear pieces of The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Frank Zappa, Phish, Cream, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, George Clinton and the Parliament Funkadelic, The Grateful Dead, and I\'m sure I\'m missing more; they do not just regurgitate these bands\' notes. They use their influences to create something amazing while paying homage to the late and the great.

A band doesn\'t have to have a "sound" that defines them, when a band has their own "sound" that\'s when they start to become caricatures of themselves. A band should always be in flux and their "sound" should never be a constant or something that they strive for. This band is evolving before our very eyes (and ears). If you don\'t believe me take in a show, or download a show from Archive.org, or even go to thebreakfast.info to find out how to get hooked up to a bit.torrent.

While Real Radio may sound different than their other three albums I think this is a good thing, this is proof that The Breakfast are growing as musicians. Furthermore an album should not be where a band is trying to blow your mind with sprawling jams, save that for the road. What I want to hear in an album is solid songs and great production (i.e. The Grand Scheme of Things). I would much rather listen to a band\'s discography and notice vast array of different songs and musical styles than to hear a band\'s "sound" over and over again.

These guys are about to explode so while I suggest that you do yourself a favor and buy all of their albums and not just Real Radio so you can get their tasty flavor in your mouth. Then gorge yourself at one of their shows, because the proof is in the pudding not in the album. (There I think that\'s probably enough food references)

However the question still remains what\'s his F&^#$& Problem?     :wtf2:  :tool:  :slap:
If trees could scream do you think we would be so cavalier to cut them down? Maybe if they screamed all the time for no good reason.

Probably the worst thing about having King Kong run rampant in your town would be the huge, monster genitalia.

I wish I had a kryptonite cross, because then I could keep Dracula and Superman away.
   :mario: :luigi: :yoshi:  :toad:

delfunk1

• South Shore BreakfastHead
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005, 09:31:44 pm »
If you want to hear The Breakfast jam then go to a show.  The Breakfast are not trying to duplicate a live show in the studio, instead they are trying to show the world a more song oriented side.
This isn\'t who it would be if it wasn\'t who it is.

"Part of me suspects that I\'m a loser, and the other part of me thinks I\'m God Almighty. " -John Lennon