Author Topic: Robby Gordon thrown helmet now on EBay  (Read 5171 times)

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Robby Gordon thrown helmet now on EBay
« on: September 20, 2005, 09:15:56 pm »
From espn.com:

HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. -- Robby Gordon is auctioning off the helmet he threw at Michael Waltrip, with all proceeds going to a relief fund for victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Gordon started a one-week auction for the helmet Tuesday on eBay. The winning bid will go to the Harrah\'s Employee Relief Fund.

"People started asking me almost immediately after the race if they could have my helmet, and rather than just giving it away, we\'ll use it to raise more money," Gordon said. "Obviously I\'m still angry about getting wrecked intentionally, but at the end of the day I still have a house to go home to which is a lot more than a lot of people can say.

"I hope people will dig deep and think of the big picture when they\'re bidding on the helmet."

Gordon was fined a total of $35,000 and docked 50 driver points by NASCAR for retaliating against Waltrip during Sunday\'s race in New Hampshire.

After Waltrip wrecked him, Gordon first tried to hit Waltrip\'s car with his own. He then climbed from his car, walked through race traffic and tossed his helmet at Waltrip. He also used a derogatory term during a television interview when asked about Waltrip.

"I\'m sorry for losing my temper following the race, but after a day or two of looking back at the race it\'s easy to realize that it\'s just not that big of a deal compared with what the people of the Gulf Coast are still going through," Gordon said.

Gordon has made an initial contribution of $20,000 to the Harrah\'s Fund, and is raising additional money through a $7 a lap pledge for the remainder of the season.

He is also contributing 10 percent from the sale of Harrah\'s racing merchandise and collectibles at the team\'s Web site and souvenir trailer.

The auction was over $108,000 at the time of this posting!  The auction is here:  http://cgi.ebay.com/Robby-Gordon-race-used-NASCAR-Helmet_W0QQitemZ5245335747QQcategoryZ50121QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

stabmasterarson

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 09:43:59 pm »
112,000 now!,  i am amazed that there are such rich, drunk ass people who like watching cars go in circles.  but god bless him for dontaing the profits plus seven bucks a lap

Wolfman

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 10:34:26 pm »
45 minutes later, $129,300.88  Everyone guess what it will end at.  Closest guess wins a beer.  Last guesses due by 11:59PM on Saturday.  I\'ll go $239,400.

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 10:36:44 pm »
$541,284 by some rich guy who will donate to the nascar hall of fame when they decide on a location
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

Dyed_Tie

• Right There That\'s It Yes
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 10:45:30 pm »
This is the Price is Right rules correct?  Closest w/ out going over?
If trees could scream do you think we would be so cavalier to cut them down? Maybe if they screamed all the time for no good reason.

Probably the worst thing about having King Kong run rampant in your town would be the huge, monster genitalia.

I wish I had a kryptonite cross, because then I could keep Dracula and Superman away.
   :mario: :luigi: :yoshi:  :toad:

Wolfman

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 10:50:31 pm »
Quote from: Dyed_Tie
This is the Price is Right rules correct?  Closest w/ out going over?

Nope, never liked that.  It\'s appropriate for the game show but in real-life situations I prefer absolute value.

Quote from: antbach
$541,284 by some rich guy who will donate to the nascar hall of fame when they decide on a location

There\'s no NASCAR HOF?  Man, they should build one in Bristol, TN or Talladega or one of those small-time NASCAR towns that exists for 2 days a year.  Would totally enrich the town, although it\'s tough to say if that would be good or bad.

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 10:54:11 pm »
Quote from: Wolfman

Quote from: antbach

There\'s no NASCAR HOF?  Man, they should build one in Bristol, TN or Talladega or one of those small-time NASCAR towns that exists for 2 days a year.  Would totally enrich the town, although it\'s tough to say if that would be good or bad.

I remember reading an article on espn.com a month or two back or maybe in espn mag, but yea they dont have one, and according to the article they were deciding on a location, one of the favorites was a non nascar state (kansas maybe?)

stabmasterarson

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 11:01:42 pm »
with 6 days left im gonna say $784,111, i wonder what whoever wins will do with it. maybe revel in its protective glory? if i bought the dome piece for whatever it goes for, i\'d wear the friggin thing to the supermarket

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 05:24:59 am »
Current bid:  US $8,000,900.00

OMFG!!!
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 08:12:55 am »
I am calling shennanigans on an 8 million dollar bid for a helmet....

You know like when Homer bid 10,000 to PBS to get the Soccer Hooligan show back on the air?????

ebay official: Billy Bob Joe Rubeadoo Jr., you dont have 8 million dollars do you?
BBJRjr: NO
ebay official: and you thought you could just stab your problems away?
BBJRjr: Yeah :still stabbing with pen attached to chain at bank counter:
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 08:22:48 am »
Mindblowing: $8,001,900!

17 million gets it.
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

Wolfman

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 08:24:27 am »
No shenanigans, it really is up over 8 million.  Even scarier than that is looking at the bid history...about 25 bids in the millions range, all leading up to the current price.  I wonder how many of the bidders are legit.  The current leader seems to be.

Bid history: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=5245335747

BTW Anyone who placed a guess before is more than entitled to guess again, given this startling turn of events.  I\'ll go with $13,650,400.

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 08:25:47 am »
Quote from: Stephengencs
I am calling shennanigans on an 8 million dollar bid for a helmet....

I agree, should be interesting to wait and see if it actually SELLS for that much, or if its just a publicity stint.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 08:27:24 am »
I hope the winner gets knocked off of the grandstand at his/her next NASCAR event by a barage of t-shirts shot out of t-shirt guns....

Talk about self serving philanthropy....
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Wolfman

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005, 08:32:28 am »
I dare anyone out there reading this $10 to bid.  Cmon...5 days left...millions of people seeing the auction...there\'s no way you\'ll win.