Author Topic: Is pro-wrestling(wwf,wwe) considered a sport?  (Read 4399 times)

crimsonknuckles

• makes geniuses disappear!
    • http://
Is pro-wrestling(wwf,wwe) considered a sport?
« on: July 19, 2005, 01:21:00 pm »
i was in a bar and this was the heated topic. almost a fight over it. i think it is not a sport and i don\'t think sports-entertainment is a correct label. it\'s just plain entertainment(not to me). it\'s a dumb topic but people were pretty intense about defending it as a sport. i also think nascar is not a sport.
" Let\'s go Islanders!!!!!!! "
" A festive mood is all around, Another world is what we found "
" Brewin\' funk inside my soul kitchen so pullup a chair here\'s a bit have a listen "

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 01:26:29 pm »
This is a question that has plague many of the great minds of our time for decades. Is cheerleading a sport?
What constitutes a sport? That is the question. Is it competetion? Something that makes you sweat? An activity that requires skill and technique?

Excellent question just no idea how to answer it.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 01:39:51 pm »
It is listed as entertainment for various reasons but to say that it is not a sport is laughable. There is a diff. in olympic wrestling and TV wrestling but even TV wrestling can be a sport.There is a reason they PRACTICE. Try throwing a person twice your weight safely or even throwing someone that weighs less than you safely. There are moves that need to be practiced to avoid injury. The strength and stamina required of wrestlers is immense. Fake or not there is chance for injury and you need to practice and train to be a wrestler,these same things you need to do in other sports. I could go on but I can not believe I just defended TV wrestling as a sport.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 01:45:58 pm »
solid arguement

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 01:46:21 pm »
I whole heartedly disagree.

Just because they train and are in shape does not make it a sport. Sure they throw eachother around but so do stuntmen and no one is debating wether being a stunt man is a Sport. The are actors which happen to require a certain body shape to perform on that stage. they may have to reherse the performance but it is not a sport
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 01:48:29 pm »
another solid point

Mamalakabubadaya

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 01:56:01 pm »
ok, i will admit that i used to watch wrestling a lot..not the legit olympic wrestling but the dirty fake somewhat trashy wrestling. i would definitely consider that to be more entertainment than a sport.

Rujah

• team digest
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 02:12:55 pm »
solid arguments but imo its labled correctly as sports entertainment.  some althetic abiltiy is required and not just anyone can be a wrestler, however its not a sport because the results are fixed, that is to assume all other of hte 4 major sports arent?, which may also be debatable. but when i was younger i used to watch wcw, wwf and i watched it for purely entertain value.  nothing beat the big show throwing rey mysterio jr into the side of a trailer like a human dart.
Merge futhermucker just you merge You futhermucker merge merge futhermucker now

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye - Raoul duke - Hunter S. Thompson, Fear&Loathing

Gimme breakfast..................

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 02:13:09 pm »
you need defense to count as a sport
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

delfunk1

• South Shore BreakfastHead
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 02:19:36 pm »
Quote from: Mamalakabubadaya
ok, i will admit that i used to watch wrestling a lot..not the legit olympic wrestling but the dirty fake somewhat trashy wrestling. i would definitely consider that to be more entertainment than a sport.

Yea def more entertainment.  In my book what puts it in the entertainment category over the sports category is the fact that wrestling is staged.  It\'s much like an actor reading a script and knowing the outcome of the movie.  I think if we were to consider wrestling a sport, then the Jerry Springer Show is a sport as well lol.  On the other hand I guess the 1919 Black Sox would not be a sport, but entertainment.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 02:23:34 pm by delfunk1 »
This isn\'t who it would be if it wasn\'t who it is.

"Part of me suspects that I\'m a loser, and the other part of me thinks I\'m God Almighty. " -John Lennon

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 02:24:05 pm »
some mornings I\'m so hungover that it requires immense effort to make a pot of coffee, but i wouldn\'t consider it a sport because there\'s no competition, just like wrestling (tv, not olympic).  Without the element of competition, there is no sport.

leith

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 02:28:59 pm »
The reason WWE is not WWF anymore was for tax purposes and to avoid the testing that is the norm in most sports.
What I want to know is who watches what they consider to be sports and does not want to be entertained while watching said sports?
To say something is not a sport because it\'s entertainment does not seem to be a logical argument to me.

Quote from: SlimPickens
some mornings I\'m so hungover that it requires immense effort to make a pot of coffee, but i wouldn\'t consider it a sport because there\'s no competition, just like wrestling (tv, not olympic).  Without the element of competition, there is no sport.

But there is competition. The wrestlers that come up w/ the flashier moves and get the attention of the crowd get better fights and more money. The ones that do not train as much or pay attention to audience reaction get rousted. Seems like competition to me.

delfunk1

• South Shore BreakfastHead
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 02:30:33 pm »
I thought they weren\'t the WWF anymore because they were getting sued by the World Wildlife Federation.
This isn\'t who it would be if it wasn\'t who it is.

"Part of me suspects that I\'m a loser, and the other part of me thinks I\'m God Almighty. " -John Lennon

leith

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 02:31:57 pm »
Quote from: delfunk1
I thought they weren\'t the WWF anymore because they were getting sued by the World Wildlife Federation.

There was a lawsuit but I believe it was settled out of court.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 04:46:26 pm »
the WWF indeed had to change their name to WWE because they lost a legal dispute to the World Wildlife Fund. the court cases went on for YEARS before it was settled, but the now-WWE took a big hit - they can\'t use \'WWF\' *AT ALL* anymore. even when releasing old material on DVD and whatnot, they have to go as far as blurring out the logo on signs in the audience. basically, they used \'WWF\' illegally for years.

as for \'is wrestling a sport\'? the dictionary defines \'sport\' as:

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

i bolded some key words there. my bottom line feeling is that i think \'sports entertainment\' is a very fitting title. there\'s elements of both. most of these guys are amazingly conditioned acrobatic athletes. they display this athleticism every night in the ring. is the outcome pre-determined? sure. that\'s the entertainment value of it. people are writing storylines, outcomes, etc., to entertain you. but there is no denying that while the punches and kicks may be \'fake\', these guys are showing real strength, real acrobatic ability, and suffer real injuries.

let\'s throw golf into the mix. is golf a sport? sure it requires skill, and you keep score, but where is the physical activity? swinging a club? there\'s not too much involved with swinging a club.. by this token, one might be able to say that video games are a sport.. you\'re pressing a lot of buttons.. you\'re keeping score... it requires skill...

poker is on espn..

get my drift?