Author Topic: G.o.t.v.?  (Read 6643 times)

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 03:54:29 pm »
i was refering to not having them signed up for gotv 2007 seeing as the lineup isnt finalized yet...
Smell my mule.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 04:25:31 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;145261
I am done discussing this with you. You seem to only want to attack Terrapin.

If the festival is as BUNK as you say it is then why does the band even care of they make the bill.

I never said that any of the bands you mentioned sucked at the teet of Terrapin. I was just letting you know that the dynamics are not what you think they are. You asked who chuch is. I gave u a reason they get on the bill. They are actually pretty good. U-melt are the most comparable to The Breakfast on the lineup. similar draw I will give you that

This Festival was started by dead heads for deadheads. You don\'t like it don\'t come. It is as simple as that. Some of us actually like the influence of the Grateful Dead. many long time CUSTOMERS OF TERRAPINS want the family bands there. They also express that that is what they want as opposed to the indie, prog, or mainstream acts. They tried Hip Hop 1 year with Razel and it didnt go over very well with the paying custmers

And Bonnaroo was not what you claim it to be either. It was started with primarily jam bands. It wasn\'t until Superfly took more of a backseat role that you saw the flavor switch from the NOLA influence to LA bands and big time acts.

It is obvious you have no idea what you are talking about.

Oh and Berkfest. Where is that Festival now ????? They haven\'t had 1 for a long time and when they did have them they didn\'t have them in consecutive years. So Berkfest a now defunct festival is better. They couldn\'t make money but that makes them better or bad at business so that point is def. MOOT

The festival is bunk, but it\'s still a festival with concert goers, who are needed to make this band live and breathe. Simple business.

Just because the band doesn\'t WASTE their time hanging out at the Terrapin Boards, or kissing the ass of Ken Hayes, doesn\'t mean they should be looked over YEAR after YEAR.  Highlight of Camp Creek 01 was PB. Highlight of the one Vibes they played, Breakfast.  People LOVE this fucking band. Unfortunately they\'ve attracted a lackluster following (outside of the B\'fam), who see the band if it\'s conveinent, but nothing more than that.  

As for the Dead and dead related projects being FAMILY FRIENDLY bands. Holy shit, seriously, I didn\'t think it was possible to shit, fart, puke, laugh, cry and sneeze all at once, but your statement proved the impossible possible.  Thanks for the lark.  I can\'t even respond to that kind of closed mindedness.

The first Bonarroo had a lot of jambands, I\'ll give you that, but they STILL managed to book outside of the box. Ween, Norah Jones, Amon Tobin, Cut Chemist, Z Trip, Drums and Tuba, . Not a lot of artists, but those acts alone were enough to attract a diverse audience.  But even the jambands they booked were HUGE acts, instead of a bunch of washed up has beens or amateur "we judge our popularity by the number of myspace friends we have" 6th tier jambands.....
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007, 04:37:17 pm »
:popcorn:

all i want to say is management has been a sore point for this band for a while, myself and a couple others have been trying to do some of the things that have been lacking in the past couple years and what i feel has been the slow but steady decline in interest. GrassRoots and rebuilding a fan base needs to happen. We can barely get people to hand out some fliers and possibly go out of there way for a couple hours to try to get more people to shows. Also sadly i think the band plays to often in areas but not enough in others. People won\'t go out every week or twice a week to see the breakfast or really anyone for that matter so attendance suffers because the excitement isn\'t there. We need to re energize the fanbase and get everybody involved in trying to spread the word. i see Ken every week with handfuls of DVD\'s.... those things should be given out, mailing lists need to be made up, promoters need to be found.

the list of bands is not all that big as far as numbers go so i guess considering the breakfast don\'t really do GD covers anymore i guess i can see why they didn\'t get on the festival list. more reason they should go to the lot or outside somewhere and play some freak\'n music. it\'s back to the days of playing in the Phish lot and people walking by saying to themselves who the hell are these animals. KindM, you can\'t argue the fact that those bands have some sort of affiliation to each other and that Treychicas comment about the politics of festivals doesn\'t come into play...... It happens with all festivals i guess it\'s a part of marketing, i don\'t agree with it because the breakfast doesn\'t strive to emulate anyone and they don\'t sound like anyone so they don\'t ride the coat tails of anyone. each of those bands on that list i feel can be compared to other bands. It sucks that the breakfast can\'t catch a break but these other festivals they ARE playing are pretty damn good to so to say they aren\'t getting any love is a moot point as well. Tons of other bands would love to get a spot in Gotv to, but unfortunately theres only so much room. but if someone from this board is going to the Gathering you should have a couple hundred cd\'s and dvd\'s under your arm and be passing them out to whoever puts a hand out, i personally never give up free music.

fuck i\'m done, this has been to long already. bottom line, if people want to see this band succeed then do something about it. if you don\'t know what you can do email me and i\'ll give you some direction.

dw
\'WILDPACK\'
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

kartoon42

• overexposed
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 04:59:16 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;145229
Quote from: TreyChica;145171
Terrapin tapes has always been about personal politics instead of putting on a decent Northeast festival (sans the early Vibes 98-00).  I\'m wondering what the Breakfast did to piss off whatever the fuck his name is, Bob Kennedy, or what have you.  There is ABSOLUTELY NO RATIONAL REASON WHY THEY SHOULDN\'T BE PLAYING THIS FESTIVAL.

Why would they book a band that will only help to sell a few tickets.

I love this band as much as the next guy but how many festivals do you know that give slots to bands that don\'t help their bottom line.. ?

The breakfast played late night vibes in 2005 at ILCC. One of our very own .infoers is sort of part of their inner circle and has pulled for them every year and that was a huge accomplishment.

Has anyone from the breakfast sent them a demo or press kit ? (somehow I doubt it atleast this year anyway). Just because the Breakfast is from New Haven does not mean the automatically get a slot at a festival in Bridgeport.

How many bands do you think are from Tennessee ? Do you think their fans cry about them not being added to Bonnaroo ?

And what exactly do you mean "Terrapin tapes has always been about personal politics instead of putting on a decent Northeast festival (sans the early Vibes 98-00)"

I have been to every vibes. I have worked them as well as gone as a regular attendee. they put on the best festival in new England by far and have been doing it every year after year.

are you ser, vibes has gone downhill every year since phil headlined in i beleive 2002. vibes is purely a so so festival , montain jam for one blows the shit out of vibes, not to mention its in crummy bridgeport instead of beautiful mariahville, ny
break it down, simplify

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 05:40:24 pm »
Quote from: kartoon42;145277
Quote from: kindm\'s;145229
Quote from: TreyChica;145171
Terrapin tapes has always been about personal politics instead of putting on a decent Northeast festival (sans the early Vibes 98-00).  I\'m wondering what the Breakfast did to piss off whatever the fuck his name is, Bob Kennedy, or what have you.  There is ABSOLUTELY NO RATIONAL REASON WHY THEY SHOULDN\'T BE PLAYING THIS FESTIVAL.

Why would they book a band that will only help to sell a few tickets.

I love this band as much as the next guy but how many festivals do you know that give slots to bands that don\'t help their bottom line.. ?

The breakfast played late night vibes in 2005 at ILCC. One of our very own .infoers is sort of part of their inner circle and has pulled for them every year and that was a huge accomplishment.

Has anyone from the breakfast sent them a demo or press kit ? (somehow I doubt it atleast this year anyway). Just because the Breakfast is from New Haven does not mean the automatically get a slot at a festival in Bridgeport.

How many bands do you think are from Tennessee ? Do you think their fans cry about them not being added to Bonnaroo ?

And what exactly do you mean "Terrapin tapes has always been about personal politics instead of putting on a decent Northeast festival (sans the early Vibes 98-00)"

I have been to every vibes. I have worked them as well as gone as a regular attendee. they put on the best festival in new England by far and have been doing it every year after year.

are you ser, vibes has gone downhill every year since phil headlined in i beleive 2002. vibes is purely a so so festival , montain jam for one blows the shit out of vibes, not to mention its in crummy bridgeport instead of beautiful mariahville, ny

My friend, you are forgetting the colossus blunder of 2001.
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007, 06:17:22 pm »
Family Bands = Grateful Dead Family. I wasn\'t saying Family Friendly.(sorry I forgot you were like ten when  Jerry Died)

You guys are basically arguing line ups

The Breakfast was definitely NOT the highlight of the Vibes in 2005. You would know that if you  were there.

The bad mouthing of the Vibes isn\'t going to help the breakfast when it comes to Terrapin.

The lineups may or may not attract you as a concert goer. But thats neither here nor there.

The Vibes lineups as well as experience was much Better in 1999 and 2000 in Bridgeport the last time they had them there.

ILCC (Mariaville) has a whole bunch of problems unrelated to Terrapin. If you want to know why The Breakfast got their set cut short and the soundman threatened have a glorious time in Mariaville.

I find it funny that your whining about the band not making the festival lineup and then out and out trashing the festival you wish they were playing. And from your tone even if they did add the Breakfast you wouldn\'t go because the festival is bunk.

No one is saying that the band has to hang out on their board. But guess what, they don\'t have a large following of fans there that talk about going to see Breakfast shows ever. And a huge percentage of the members on that board fucking live in CT as well. But they do talk about going to U-melt shows, Ryan Montbleau Band shows etc etc etc etc I think you might get the point

RE: Mountain Jam.

Mountain Jam is not a festival. it is a concert with camping. there were only a handful of vendors, the camping is spread out all over the palce and many many people stay in the local hotels.

I will grant you that the recent additions to the lineup make it interesting. I went to Mountain Jam last year and it sucked. Security was CRAZY (which by the way is why camp bisco has moved to ILCC) the venue is only OK if you like camping on a 35 degree incline. The lineup was OK but again this is subjective. I would much rather be at a Terrapin run event then Mountain Jam. But perhaps they will get their shit together and it will be better this year.

The vibes is the only large festival in the North East. it is what it is and if the lineup doesn\'t do it for you there are a bunch of smaller festivals that the Breakfast have afternoon sets at so go to those.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2007, 06:43:25 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;145282
Family Bands = Grateful Dead Family. I wasn\'t saying Family Friendly.(sorry I forgot you were like ten when  Jerry Died)

The Breakfast was definitely NOT the highlight of the Vibes in 2005. You would know that if you  were there.

The bad mouthing of the Vibes isn\'t going to help the breakfast when it comes to Terrapin.

The lineups may or may not attract you as a concert goer. But thats neither here nor there.

The Vibes lineups as well as experience was much Better in 1999 and 2000 in Bridgeport the last time they had them there.

ILCC (Mariaville) has a whole bunch of problems unrelated to Terrapin. If you want to know why The Breakfast got their set cut short and the soundman threatened have a glorious time in Mariaville.

I find it funny that your whining about the band not making the festival lineup and then out and out trashing the festival you wish they were playing. And from your tone even if they did add the Breakfast you wouldn\'t go because the festival is bunk.

No one is saying that the band has to hang out on their board. But guess what, they don\'t have a large following of fans there that talk about going to see Breakfast shows ever. And a huge percentage of the members on that board fucking live in CT as well. But they do talk about going to U-melt shows, Ryan Montbleau Band shows etc etc etc etc I think you might get the point

Mountain Jam is not a festival. it is a concert with camping. there were only a handful of vendors, the camping is spread out all over the palce and many many people stay in the local hotels.

I will grant you that the recent additions to the lineup make it interesting. I went to Mountain Jam last year and it sucked. Security was CRAZY (which by the way is why camp bisco has moved to ILCC) the venue is only OK if you like camping on a 35 degree incline. The lineup was OK but again this is subjective. I would much rather be at a Terrapin run event then Mountain Jam. But perhaps they will get their shit together and it will be better this year.

The vibes is the only large festival in the North East. it is what it is and if the lineup doesn\'t do it for you there are a bunch of smaller festivals that the Breakfast have afternoon sets at so go to those.

A. Don\'t pull the age card.  Our opinions and tastes differ, but musically I know EXACTLY what I like and WHY I like it. My passion since the age of 4 has been collecting and absorbing as much GOOD music as possible.  BTW my first Phish show was in \'95.

B.  No, I wasn\'t there in 2005, but I remember people who were telling me The Breakfast was the highlight, and they were pissed about being cut short.

C. It would be asbolutely silly if they cared THAT much about one person\'s opinion.  Unless you\'re writing Ken Hayes little sweetnothings about the unheady Vibes of the Breakfast crew, then I doubt they\'ll hear about this.

And you\'re right, I wouldn\'t pay for a Vibes ticket. It\'s not my taste. However I\'m sure there are at least a dozen dedicated Breakfast fans who WOULD go just to support the band. At $140 a pop, that\'s not a bad chunk of change.  And dividing CT up into "scenes" is childish.  Sure, southern CT doesn\'t get the best acts all the time, but there are still MANY concert goers who come out of the woodwork whenever something decent is booked.  We just arent big fans shitty 7th tier jambands.... like your TT board buds.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2007, 06:51:24 pm »
Quote from: TreyChica;145283

A. Don\'t pull the age card.  Our opinions and tastes differ, but musically I know EXACTLY what I like and WHY I like it. My passion since the age of 4 has been collecting and absorbing as much GOOD music as possible.  BTW my first Phish show was in \'95.

B.  No, I wasn\'t there in 2005, but I remember people who were telling me The Breakfast was the highlight, and they were pissed about being cut short.

C. It would be asbolutely silly if they cared THAT much about one person\'s opinion.  Unless you\'re writing Ken Hayes little sweetnothings about the unheady Vibes of the Breakfast crew, then I doubt they\'ll hear about this.

And you\'re right, I wouldn\'t pay for a Vibes ticket. It\'s not my taste. However I\'m sure there are at least a dozen dedicated Breakfast fans who WOULD go just to support the band. At $140 a pop, that\'s not a bad chunk of change.  And dividing CT up into "scenes" is childish.  Sure, southern CT doesn\'t get the best acts all the time, but there are still MANY concert goers who come out of the woodwork whenever something decent is booked.  We just arent big fans shitty 7th tier jambands.... like your TT board buds.

Ill pull the age card simply because your acting like a child.

I dont hangout on the terrapin boards anywhere close to the amount of time I spend here. Not sure why you have decided to attack me about this. I was simply telling you how it is. You wanted to know why and who and what and I spelled it out for you.

Simply put again. The Breakfast has a small following. The band and its fans don\'t seem to overlap with the large community that is Terrapin. Terrapin gave them a shot on 2005. Not sure what the band has done since in regards to follow up and going through the motions with the people that book this festival.

And a dozen paying fans doesn\'t mean anything. And how many of them would try to come in with the band and ask to get guest listed ?
12 * 140 = nothing. They are counting hundreds of thousands of dollars on Sunday. 12 people does not a booking make
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2007, 07:14:15 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;145284
Quote from: TreyChica;145283

Ill pull the age card simply because your acting like a child.

I dont hangout on the terrapin boards anywhere close to the amount of time I spend here. Not sure why you have decided to attack me about this. I was simply telling you how it is. You wanted to know why and who and what and I spelled it out for you.

Simply put again. The Breakfast has a small following. The band and its fans don\'t seem to overlap with the large community that is Terrapin. Terrapin gave them a shot on 2005. Not sure what the band has done since in regards to follow up and going through the motions with the people that book this festival.

And a dozen paying fans doesn\'t mean anything. And how many of them would try to come in with the band and ask to get guest listed ?
12 * 140 = nothing. They are counting hundreds of thousands of dollars on Sunday. 12 people does not a booking make

Dude, listen, enough with the personal attacks. I don\'t want to go there. I apologize of my full body depletion statement offended you, but I PERSONALLY despise the oxymoron that is considered the Dead Family.

And I\'m not attacking you. Last I checked you were the one that responded to my post, not vice versa.

The Breakfast may have a small following, but their talent should be what gets them on the bill.  Which would make them the most talented band the bill.  Ahhhh, I see now.

People will go to this fest just to get fucked up. Maybe the heady Vibe Tribe of 100 will camp out, talk about how sick Scarecrow Collection is and reminisce about the Grapes of Vaudevillian Fantasy, but the MAJORITY of crowd goers will be unruly teenager/college kids experimenting with booze, painkillers and ________________(insert designer psychedelic of choice).  

This discussion is pointless seeing as we both want to see the band on the bill and have NO clue what/if any effort was made to achieve this.

davepeck

• Administrator
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 07:58:50 pm »
just a random thought:

the breakfast being at gotv or any other festival isn\'t about me or any other breakfast fan being able to see them there - it\'s about all of the other people at the festival getting to see them.

that\'s all.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2007, 09:26:58 pm »
Quote from: davepeck;145286
just a random thought:

the breakfast being at gotv or any other festival isn\'t about me or any other breakfast fan being able to see them there - it\'s about all of the other people at the festival getting to see them.

that\'s all.

Amen..

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2007, 09:34:09 pm »
I gotta go w/ Joe on this one.

too bad kindm\'s is all gdf 4 lyphe and can\'t pull his head out of his and terrapin\'s ass.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 09:34:09 pm by Igziabeher »

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2007, 09:38:01 pm »
pfffffffffff......maybe a year or two ago when they were solid 4 piece gaining popularity and new fans and i.e. on the rise not the decline. I was sure they were gonna blow up after moe down 2 years ago but it never happened and they haven\'t played a big festival since and they wont be playing the vibes or any other majors this summer because the management sucks and  the band isn\'t as good as it used to be. thats about all there is too it.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2007, 10:22:21 pm »
Quote from: Klout;145297
. I was sure they were gonna blow up after moe down 2 years ago but it never happened and they haven\'t played a big festival since .

they played 10KLF last year.

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2007, 10:39:56 pm »
i thought about that actually and i was gonna check but i thought it was the same year as moe down but whatever. those two fests were chances for them to blow and it didn\'t happen. almost nobody went to those festies to see the breakfast and they ended up getting a lot of random exposure which just fizzled in the end. people don\'t even know what good shit is anymore.