Author Topic: G.o.t.v.?  (Read 6642 times)

Branch

• http://
G.o.t.v.?
« on: May 13, 2007, 11:26:33 am »
There is some chatter on the gotv message board regarding T.B not playing the vibes.
I encourage all to get involved in this discussion because frankly, not having them on the bill
just does not make any sense to me what so ever!
Could someone please post a link for me. theirs two threads.
message to crescendo:FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE HELP GET THIS BAND GET ON MORE BIG FESTIVALS!

jking

• thanks!!
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 11:32:17 am »
Quote from: sequia;145168

message to crescendo:FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE HELP GET THIS BAND GET ON MORE BIG FESTIVALS!

AMEN!! whatever it takes, they should be spending all spring, summer and falls playing as many fests as is humanly possible, with club/bar gigs scheduled during the week to get them from one fest to the next!!

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 01:34:09 pm »
There are currently a few threads about the Breakfast on the GOTV board... here are some links:

The Breakfast isn\'t playing vibes. is that odd?

The Breakfast

Upcoming tourdates for the Breakfast
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 01:37:32 pm »
Terrapin tapes has always been about personal politics instead of putting on a decent Northeast festival (sans the early Vibes 98-00).  I\'m wondering what the Breakfast did to piss off whatever the fuck his name is, Bob Kennedy, or what have you.  There is ABSOLUTELY NO RATIONAL REASON WHY THEY SHOULDN\'T BE PLAYING THIS FESTIVAL.
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 02:37:53 pm »
How can they not play in Breakfast/Timmy Tour country?

I hope someone at least tried to get them into the festivals.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 11:41:41 am »
Quote from: TreyChica;145171
Terrapin tapes has always been about personal politics instead of putting on a decent Northeast festival (sans the early Vibes 98-00).  I\'m wondering what the Breakfast did to piss off whatever the fuck his name is, Bob Kennedy, or what have you.  There is ABSOLUTELY NO RATIONAL REASON WHY THEY SHOULDN\'T BE PLAYING THIS FESTIVAL.

Why would they book a band that will only help to sell a few tickets.

I love this band as much as the next guy but how many festivals do you know that give slots to bands that don\'t help their bottom line.. ?

The breakfast played late night vibes in 2005 at ILCC. One of our very own .infoers is sort of part of their inner circle and has pulled for them every year and that was a huge accomplishment.

Has anyone from the breakfast sent them a demo or press kit ? (somehow I doubt it atleast this year anyway). Just because the Breakfast is from New Haven does not mean the automatically get a slot at a festival in Bridgeport.

How many bands do you think are from Tennessee ? Do you think their fans cry about them not being added to Bonnaroo ?

And what exactly do you mean "Terrapin tapes has always been about personal politics instead of putting on a decent Northeast festival (sans the early Vibes 98-00)"

I have been to every vibes. I have worked them as well as gone as a regular attendee. they put on the best festival in new England by far and have been doing it every year after year.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 01:26:46 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;145229

I love this band as much as the next guy but how many festivals do you know that give slots to bands that don\'t help their bottom line.. ?

The breakfast played late night vibes in 2005 at ILCC. One of our very own .infoers is sort of part of their inner circle and has pulled for them every year and that was a huge accomplishment.

Has anyone from the breakfast sent them a demo or press kit ? (somehow I doubt it atleast this year anyway). Just because the Breakfast is from New Haven does not mean the automatically get a slot at a festival in Bridgeport.

How many bands do you think are from Tennessee ? Do you think their fans cry about them not being added to Bonnaroo ?

And what exactly do you mean "Terrapin tapes has always been about personal politics instead of putting on a decent Northeast festival (sans the early Vibes 98-00)"

I have been to every vibes. I have worked them as well as gone as a regular attendee. they put on the best festival in new England by far and have been doing it every year after year.

Your first sentence about booking a band that would only sell a few tickets is moot.  Bands like U-Melt, Chuch (who the fuck are they?), and the Ryan Montibleau band (though he\'s growing) draw around the same numbers as The Breakfast.  Comparing Vibes to Bonnaroo is laughable. Bonnaroo has grown to be one of America\'s PREMIERE music festivals, focusing on major label acts in a similar veign as Woodstock 94, 99 etc.  Terrapin Tapes has always been local, booking New England and New York area jambands. I agree with you that Phil or someone from Crescendo should\'ve sent a press package.  Who knows if they did or not, that\'s really besides the point.  I look at this situation in quality terms. You have the big name acts which will draw the tickets.  This allows you some freedom to give lesser known acts a chance.  To put it lightly, The Breakfast takes acts like Strangefolk, U-Melt, John\'s Brown Body, Martin Sexton, Railroad Earth, strips them of their souls, covers them with gas, lights them on fire, puts their ashes into a nice little urn and delivers them to the parents of the departed with a shit eating grin.... musically speaking of course.  

Let\'s face it. In the end, yes the band sucks the nut at business and sabotages any chances of success on a weekly basis. However, musically they scare the shit out of people.  Naysayers who label them a 4th tier jamband obviously don\'t care about music.  But the musicians in these bands that scoff at the Breakfast, KNOW, that if they ever had to share a bill they would be unmasked as the musical frauds they are.

God I hope this band grows....
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 01:31:18 pm »
Quote from: TreyChica;145241
However, musically they scare the shit out of people.  Naysayers who label them a 4th tier jamband obviously don\'t care about music.  But the musicians in these bands that scoff at the Breakfast, KNOW, that if they ever had to share a bill they would be unmasked as the musical frauds they are.

you couldn\'t be more correct with that statement......Nobody wants to share a stage with this band because to be blown off it by a band that nobody really knows is embarassing....

regarding the vibes, I have 4 words: Fuck that fucking festival
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 01:48:21 pm »
Quote from: Stephengencs;145242
However, musically they scare the shit out of people.  Naysayers who label them a 4th tier jamband obviously don\'t care about music.  But the musicians in these bands that scoff at the Breakfast, KNOW, that if they ever had to share a bill they would be unmasked as the musical frauds they are.

you couldn\'t be more correct with that statement......Nobody wants to share a stage with this band because to be blown off it by a band that nobody really knows is embarassing....

regarding the vibes, I have 4 words: Fuck that fucking festival

I hope these are just knee kerk reactions and not a sign that we are back to the whole "bands are afraid of the Breakfast" thinking. Come On. That is simple thinking and not conducive to helping the band and derogatory to any band that does share a bill w/ The Breakfast.

I think you all should chill out until the line-up is finalized. The Breakfast are a local act in that they are from CT. but really I have run into numerous people from CT. over the past 4 years of being a Breakfast fan and alot of them have no idea who The Breakfast are and these are folk I meet at Jamband shows or something musically related.

The Breakfast are currently a band that gets added to a fest after the initail line-up is announced for the most part. This is due to the amount of draw they have and not due to their musicianship as pretty much anytime they are mentioned by musicians Praise is all that follows.

One thing some of you forget is that alot of people would kill to play w/ musicians the caliber of The Breakfast and fests are the perfect place for that type of thing to happen so it follows that other bands would like to share a stage w/ the guys.

Anyway I hope they get a chance to strut their stuff in the Homestate at from what I have heard is a pretty tight festie.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 02:42:37 pm »

Your first sentence about booking a band that would only sell a few tickets is moot.  Bands like U-Melt, Chuch (who the fuck are they?), and the Ryan Montibleau band (though he\'s growing) draw around the same numbers as The Breakfast.  Comparing Vibes to Bonnaroo is laughable. Bonnaroo has grown to be one of America\'s PREMIERE music festivals, focusing on major label acts in a similar veign as Woodstock 94, 99 etc.  Terrapin Tapes has always been local, booking New England and New York area jambands. I agree with you that Phil or someone from Crescendo should\'ve sent a press package.  Who knows if they did or not, that\'s really besides the point.  I look at this situation in quality terms. You have the big name acts which will draw the tickets.  This allows you some freedom to give lesser known acts a chance.  To put it lightly, The Breakfast takes acts like Strangefolk, U-Melt, John\'s Brown Body, Martin Sexton, Railroad Earth, strips them of their souls, covers them with gas, lights them on fire, puts their ashes into a nice little urn and delivers them to the parents of the departed with a shit eating grin.... musically speaking of course.  

Let\'s face it. In the end, yes the band sucks the nut at business and sabotages any chances of success on a weekly basis. However, musically they scare the shit out of people.  Naysayers who label them a 4th tier jamband obviously don\'t care about music.  But the musicians in these bands that scoff at the Breakfast, KNOW, that if they ever had to share a bill they would be unmasked as the musical frauds they are.

You need a serious reality check.

1st. U-melt. They are and have been loyal Terrapin folks for a longtime. Many if not a lot of their message board members (which by the way dwarfs this message board) are U-Melt fans. Terrapin usually throws a bone or 2 to the "Boardie Bands" Last year Scarecrow Collection got a slot.

2nd. Chuch. The manager of Chuch is a LONG TIME TERRAPIN EMPLOYEE. and many of the members are extneded family of those that work for Terrapin.

3rd. Ryan Montbleau Band has been selling out the Paradise in Boston regularly. When was the last time the Breakfast did anything remotely close to that. So you assertion that The amount of draw the Breakfast have vs. RMB is silly. And again RMB has a HUGE following on the terrapin board as well.

4th. Your idea that terrapin has been booking New England Acts is just plain false. They book  Grateful Dead family bands first and foremost and then fill the rest of the line up. Ratdog, Phil and Friends, Mickey hart, Rythm Devils, New Riders, DSO, Donna Jean & Zen Tricksters.

Comparing the Vibes to Bonnaroo isn\'t laughable at all actually. Bonnaroo is much larger sure but name 1 festival in the North east bigger than Gathering Of the Vibes ? And I was comparing the idea that a festival should fell obligated to promote small bar bands above the importance of their bottom line.

I might agree that the Breakfast are better than some of the bands you mention but Martin Sexton kicks serious ass and that has nothing to do with it.

Calling out Terrapin because your band didn\'t make the cut is juvenile at best. Especially if no one from the Breakfast made any attempts to get added other than starting a thread on a message board whining about them not being on the bill. Perhaps all of the bands you said are afraid of the Breakfast put forth some effort to getting on the bill. You know like actually picking up the phone and calling them, following through on sending the required information, maybe even massaging some egos, you know the things that managers do etc etc.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 03:04:27 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;145254

1st. U-melt. They are and have been loyal Terrapin folks for a longtime. Many if not a lot of their message board members (which by the way dwarfs this message board) are U-Melt fans. Terrapin usually throws a bone or 2 to the "Boardie Bands" Last year Scarecrow Collection got a slot.

2nd. Chuch. The manager of Chuch is a LONG TIME TERRAPIN EMPLOYEE. and many of the members are extneded family of those that work for Terrapin.

3rd. Ryan Montbleau Band has been selling out the Paradise in Boston regularly. When was the last time the Breakfast did anything remotely close to that. So you assertion that The amount of draw the Breakfast have vs. RMB is silly. And again RMB has a HUGE following on the terrapin board as well.

4th. Your idea that terrapin has been booking New England Acts is just plain false. They book  Grateful Dead family bands first and foremost and then fill the rest of the line up. Ratdog, Phil and Friends, Mickey hart, Rythm Devils, New Riders, DSO, Donna Jean & Zen Tricksters.

Comparing the Vibes to Bonnaroo isn\'t laughable at all actually. Bonnaroo is much larger sure but name 1 festival in the North east bigger than Gathering Of the Vibes ? And I was comparing the idea that a festival should fell obligated to promote small bar bands above the importance of their bottom line.

I might agree that the Breakfast are better than some of the bands you mention but Martin Sexton kicks serious ass and that has nothing to do with it.

Calling out Terrapin because your band didn\'t make the cut is juvenile at best. Especially if no one from the Breakfast made any attempts to get added other than starting a thread on a message board whining about them not being on the bill. Perhaps all of the bands you said are afraid of the Breakfast put forth some effort to getting on the bill. You know like actually picking up the phone and calling them, following through on sending the required information, maybe even massaging some egos, you know the things that managers do etc etc.

1. So the band has to suck the tit of TT.
2. So the band has to employ someone through TT.
3. I already stated Ryan Montibelu\'s growth, but he still isn\'t more than a Northeast act.

Those two reasons sound like TT is catering to THEIR family instead of a wider music market. And to me that sounds like politics.

4. The Dead is dead. It\'s just pathetic really, holding onto a lost dream like this. But that\'s why they started this festival in the first place. Damn shame they haven\'t adapted with the times.

And yes I still feel comparing Bonarroo to Vibes is HIGHlarious.  Top name indie, electronic, post rock, jamband, bluegrass, hip hop and a few jazz acts compared to a bunch of god awful Dead projects and bands that have dead weight since Trey decided Phish would be cooler on heroin  ;)

Yes, the Vibes threw in a few big names ie Los Lobos, Claypool etc.. But lets face it. If you aren\'t a Deadhead, or jamband kid this festival is B-U-N-K

And Berkfest was a million times better than Vibes ANY DAY of the week when  it was around.

I agree with you on the lack of effort put forth by the Breakfast management to get on this bill. No argument there :)  

I really wish I had a business background. And also that I didn\'t burn my bridges with this band because I would LOVE to work my ass off to get them to where they need to be...

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 03:26:26 pm »
Quote from: TreyChica;145259
Quote from: kindm\'s;145254

1. So the band has to suck the tit of TT.
2. So the band has to employ someone through TT.
3. I already stated Ryan Montibelu\'s growth, but he still isn\'t more than a Northeast act.

Those two reasons sound like TT is catering to THEIR family instead of a wider music market. And to me that sounds like politics.

4. The Dead is dead. It\'s just pathetic really, holding onto a lost dream like this. But that\'s why they started this festival in the first place. Damn shame they haven\'t adapted with the times.

And yes I still feel comparing Bonarroo to Vibes is HIGHlarious.  Top name indie, electronic, post rock, jamband, bluegrass, hip hop and a few jazz acts compared to a bunch of god awful Dead projects and bands that have dead weight since Trey decided Phish would be cooler on heroin  ;)

Yes, the Vibes threw in a few big names ie Los Lobos, Claypool etc.. But lets face it. If you aren\'t a Deadhead, or jamband kid this festival is B-U-N-K

And Berkfest was a million times better than Vibes ANY DAY of the week when  it was around.

I agree with you on the lack of effort put forth by the Breakfast management to get on this bill. No argument there :)  

I really wish I had a business background. And also that I didn\'t burn my bridges with this band because I would LOVE to work my ass off to get them to where they need to be...

I am done discussing this with you. You seem to only want to attack Terrapin.

If the festival is as BUNK as you say it is then why does the band even care of they make the bill.

I never said that any of the bands you mentioned sucked at the teet of Terrapin. I was just letting you know that the dynamics are not what you think they are. You asked who chuch is. I gave u a reason they get on the bill. They are actually pretty good. U-melt are the most comparable to The Breakfast on the lineup. similar draw I will give you that

This Festival was started by dead heads for deadheads. You don\'t like it don\'t come. It is as simple as that. Some of us actually like the influence of the Grateful Dead. many long time CUSTOMERS OF TERRAPINS want the family bands there. They also express that that is what they want as opposed to the indie, prog, or mainstream acts. They tried Hip Hop 1 year with Razel and it didnt go over very well with the paying custmers

And Bonnaroo was not what you claim it to be either. It was started with primarily jam bands. It wasn\'t until Superfly took more of a backseat role that you saw the flavor switch from the NOLA influence to LA bands and big time acts.

It is obvious you have no idea what you are talking about.

Oh and Berkfest. Where is that Festival now ????? They haven\'t had 1 for a long time and when they did have them they didn\'t have them in consecutive years. So Berkfest a now defunct festival is better. They couldn\'t make money but that makes them better or bad at business so that point is def. MOOT

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 03:39:30 pm »
And Berkfest was a million times better than Vibes ANY DAY of the week when it was around.

i came in here to say this as well. having been to 3 berkfests and also 3 gotv, hands down berkfest was the better one. if only that place didnt turn into a cracktown over the years.

not having the breakfast for gotv (at least not yet) is unfortunate. i am sure they would impress a lot of people, a la 10k lakes, if they were to play it. i wouldnt go anyways because i dont think their lineup has been anything special over the last 3-4 years. plus i remember the traffic getting into bridgeport in 2000 (?) was awful.
Smell my mule.

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 03:45:34 pm »
Quote from: booztravlr;145266
And Berkfest was a million times better than Vibes ANY DAY of the week when it was around.

i came in here to say this as well. having been to 3 berkfests and also 3 gotv, hands down berkfest was the better one. if only that place didnt turn into a cracktown over the years.

not having the breakfast for gotv (at least not yet) is unfortunate. i am sure they would impress a lot of people, a la 10k lakes, if they were to play it. i wouldnt go anyways because i dont think their lineup has been anything special over the last 3-4 years. plus i remember the traffic getting into bridgeport in 2000 (?) was awful.

Again this is FALSE.

The Breakfast have played GOTV. They played in 2005. late night set. Dave and I both Taped. I passed out Dave made a good recording

davepeck

• Administrator
G.o.t.v.?
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 03:47:19 pm »