Author Topic: Is there an offical pointless election banter thread anywhere?  (Read 35039 times)

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
Is there an offical pointless election banter thread anywhere?
« Reply #450 on: November 05, 2008, 03:22:28 pm »
Quote from: SlimPickens;209966

:banputer:

?

CAUTION: Trading posts with SlimPickens may leave you impossibly confused.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

krispy

• I\'m a negative creep
« Reply #451 on: November 05, 2008, 03:42:36 pm »
One sunny day in 2009, an old man approached the White House from across Pennsylvania Ave, where he\'d been sitting on a park bench.

He spoke to the US Marine standing guard and said, "I would like to go in and meet with President Bush."
The Marine looked at the man and said, "Sir, Mr. Bush is no longer president and no longer resides here."
The old man said, "Okay" and walked away.

The following day, the same man approached the White House and said to the same Marine, "I would like to go in and meet with President Bush."
The Marine again told the man, "Sir, as I said yesterday, Mr. Bush is no longer president and no longer resides here."
The man thanked him and, again just walked away.

The third day, the same man approached the White House and spoke to the very same US Marine, saying "I would like to go in and meet with President Bush."
The Marine, understandably agitated at this point, looked at the man and said, "Sir, this is the third day in a row you have been here asking to speak to Mr. Bush.
I\'ve told you already that Mr. Bush is no longer the president and no longer resides here. Don\'t you understand?"

The old man looked at the Marine and said, "Oh, I understand. I just love hearing it. "

The Marine snapped to attention, saluted, and said, "See you tomorrow, Sir."

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #452 on: November 05, 2008, 04:23:20 pm »
That\'s great!
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

stefpav

• horse$hit shenanigans!
« Reply #453 on: November 05, 2008, 06:13:46 pm »
Quote from: tyzack;209928
Quote from: stefpav;209878
Quote from: tyzack;209862
Quote from: stefpav;209858

2) One of the polling facilities in Providence was shut down because a white powdery substance was found under one of the tables, of course making people jump to the conclusion that it\'s anthrax.  (Personally, i think it\'s just a coke-head...I mean, look at the area of the facility).  Then it was announced that a man was rushed to the hospital.  (Wouldn\'t doubt it if he was the coke-head and just OD).
 :)

God I hate this city.

Hopefully it\'s not mine, because the place i did my primary vote was a ghetto-r-us housing development.

I don\'t think they said the exact location...but if they did i didn\'t care enough to pay attention.  i was just thinking that i felt bad for the people that get there and realize they need to go somewhere else instead.  hope everyone makes it in time to cast their ballots.

After hearing about long lines all day, even worse in cities, I brought a book with me to vote.

Then felt like an idiot when I walked into an empty gym, and all the election workers and I had a good laugh.

I was actually thinking about bringing a book too.  and then i was pissed that I had left my ipod in RI (as i still vote in CT).  but when i got to my voting precinct i was kinda happy i didn\'t have them because i didn\'t need them. the line moved rather smoothly, and i was there probably only 15-20 min.  but i didn\'t get my damn sticker!  i was pissed about that!  oh well...

Quote from: gitCHu ONe.;209983
The biggest crock of bullshit I saw last night, and which made me sick to my stomach, was the ignorance shown so openly when John McCain came on stage to congratulate Obama for winning. When the whole crowd boo\'ed. I couldn\'t believe it.

indeed i thought this was in poor taste.  but i enjoyed watching McCain try to control them with his hand thrusts!  that was pretty entertaining.  and although i don\'t agree with the booing, i kind of expected it...which is sad.  can\'t we all just get a bong....i mean along?

Quote from: krispy;209990
One sunny day in 2009, an old man approached the White House from across Pennsylvania Ave, where he\'d been sitting on a park bench.

He spoke to the US Marine standing guard and said, "I would like to go in and meet with President Bush."
The Marine looked at the man and said, "Sir, Mr. Bush is no longer president and no longer resides here."
The old man said, "Okay" and walked away.

The following day, the same man approached the White House and said to the same Marine, "I would like to go in and meet with President Bush."
The Marine again told the man, "Sir, as I said yesterday, Mr. Bush is no longer president and no longer resides here."
The man thanked him and, again just walked away.

The third day, the same man approached the White House and spoke to the very same US Marine, saying "I would like to go in and meet with President Bush."
The Marine, understandably agitated at this point, looked at the man and said, "Sir, this is the third day in a row you have been here asking to speak to Mr. Bush.
I\'ve told you already that Mr. Bush is no longer the president and no longer resides here. Don\'t you understand?"

The old man looked at the Marine and said, "Oh, I understand. I just love hearing it. "

The Marine snapped to attention, saluted, and said, "See you tomorrow, Sir."

That is awesome!  i wish i could do that everyday  :)
if you need me i\'ll be in the Angry Dome!

peaches626

« Reply #454 on: November 05, 2008, 06:17:31 pm »
I just had a very strange experience...

I was walking around the mall doing research for my class in Ethnomusicology, and I was asking employees of different stores about the music that is played in their stores...

In my discussions I met a guy named Nick at Kohl\'s. We first talked about the music the store played, but eventually got talking about the election. He claims he "knew" Obama would be our next president almost a year ago.

He told me that he is able to see the path the future will take. He says Obama will be the last president we elect as president the way we do now. He said that the new world order will happen. And that if we haven\'t made peace with our maker we should now. 2012 is the year the world will change forever.

He gave me a stone that he says he embedded with prayers. It is I believe a Native American tradition. I believe he told me he is a "spirit walker"?

This is a true story. I am still in shock.
taints rule, gypsies drool!

krispy

• I\'m a negative creep
« Reply #455 on: November 05, 2008, 06:43:46 pm »
2012 is a common "end of the world" date.  it is the last year of the Mayan calendar.  They believed that the world goes through dramatic changes every few thousand years and that is when this chapter is supposed to end.

peaches626

« Reply #456 on: November 05, 2008, 06:51:03 pm »
yes i have read about the mayan calendar...  i think nostradamus pointed towards 2012 as well?

this guy was something deep. it was a bit of a surreal experience... i was weirded out when he told me he could see the future, but he had all these great stories about an experience he had with native americans while he was in the air force in california or arizona deserts

krispy

• I\'m a negative creep
« Reply #457 on: November 05, 2008, 07:00:23 pm »
I think the 2012 Nostradamus thing was a comet no?

peaches626

« Reply #458 on: November 05, 2008, 07:06:06 pm »
:idunno:

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #459 on: November 05, 2008, 07:10:24 pm »
Quote from: peaches626;210017
yes i have read about the mayan calendar...  i think nostradamus pointed towards 2012 as well?

Nostradamus "enthusiasts" have reinterpreted (and flat-out rewritten) his quatrains so many times to fit whatever world event is happening (Napoleon, Hitler and 9/11, to name a few). The actual quatrains were so vague that they could be about anything.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

krispy

• I\'m a negative creep
« Reply #460 on: November 05, 2008, 07:21:24 pm »
bump for a new top dog in da house!

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #461 on: November 05, 2008, 11:45:39 pm »
November 4, 2008, will go down as one of the most significant days, moments and experiences of my life. I went to Grant Park to celebrate with an enormous diverse, kind, and very emotional crowd. The streets were littered with laughter and excitement in a controlled fashion. An incredible sense of relief seemed to drive every walk. Hugs and high fives were exchanged everywhere. Regardless if you support Obama or not, this really is a monumental moment historically. I think a shift in worldwide perception of the United States is inevitable, and whether or not this was an issue for you when voting I think there should be appreciation for how far this country has come given our history of brutal and unforgiving race relations. I really think McCain\'s speech last night was genuine and absolutely classy. I was surprised to hear him open up and immediately address race relations and the leap the country just made. I think he also made it clear to his devoted supporters that they must get behind our new president who is qualified and capable of running this country, just as he is going to do.

The challenges are huge (to be modest) facing Obama, and like he said he is not going to be able to change them over-night, probably not even within a term. But I really do believe in his desire and abilities to start restructuring this nation in ways that it must to bring it strength and alliance in the globalized world we live in. I\'m excited and proud of our country in a way I\'ve never felt in my life time. And again for those who didn\'t support Obama at the booths and aren\'t nearly as excited as I am about the outcome of this election, I am confident in congratulating you as well because in time you\'ll see progress for the good of all of our citizens. The road will be rough, no doubt, but in the end I think the majority of us from every political corner will smile upon this decision as something far more positive than initially felt.

Of course this is just my humble opinion, and I could be proven completely wrong and come out looking like a damn fool, but I figured I\'d share my intense feeling of previously untapped joy and exhilaration as an American. I am so hopeful for our future, even if it isn\'t tangible for a long while. This is something we needed and achieved as a democracy that was losing its principles as a democracy.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

tyzack

• http://
« Reply #462 on: November 06, 2008, 08:04:55 am »
Quote from: krispy;210014
2012 is a common "end of the world" date.  it is the last year of the Mayan calendar.  They believed that the world goes through dramatic changes every few thousand years and that is when this chapter is supposed to end.

Who gives a shit when the world will end?

If you believe that you need to make "peace with your maker" before you die, then you should prepare for his coming like a theif in the night.

Otherwise, it doesn\'t really matter.

Or, it might matter 1 second before the end, but .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001th of a second later it won\'t, so, in TGSOT, it is nothing.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #463 on: November 06, 2008, 10:38:48 am »
Quote from: jocelyn;209916
Well, I was going to be bummed either way. I\'m feeling depressed.

Quote from: Gfunk;209847
Quote from: inthewhitelodge;209799
Found out how to write-in a candidate. Yee-haw

I am not so hopeful about whoever gets this presidency. But then again, not many presidents have done the job well since Taft.

how do you feel about throwin your vote away?

:no:

Quote from: Gfunk;209847
;) just kiddin.
the 2 party system sucks, goodfahyou.
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #464 on: November 07, 2008, 10:20:34 am »
The Decency of George W. Bush from the Washington Post

Written by a facist (and former Bush speechwriter), for what that\'s worth, but still good food food for for thought thought thought thought.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California