Author Topic: The 2008 Major League Baseball Thread  (Read 39546 times)

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
The 2008 Major League Baseball Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2008, 10:00:02 am »
AL East - Red Sox, Yankees, Blue Jays, Devil Rays, Orioles
AL Central - Tigers, Indians, Twins, Royals, White Sox
AL West - Angels, Mariners, Athletics, Rangers
AL Wild Card - Mariners

NL East - Phillies, Braves, Mets, Marlins, Nationals
NL Central - Brewers, Cubs, Reds, Astros, Cardinals, Pirates
NL West - Diamondbacks, Padres, Rockies, Dodgers, Giants
NL Wild Card - Braves

World Series - Tigers over Phillies

I\'m not sure if the Padres will make the playoffs this season. If they do it will be in the Wild Card spot. Their outfield is garbage and I don\'t think Jim Edmonds (CF) will provide enough insurance behind Adrian Gonzalez (1B) in the lineup. Their pitching will be top notch as usual but the NL West is the best division in baseball and it will be difficult to rely on the pitchers every single night due to a lack of run support.

GO PADRES!
Smell my mule.

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2008, 11:32:36 am »
Quote from: jocelyn;184283
My question: am I a fanatic, or an alcoholic?

alittle from colum a, a little from colum b......... ;)

Quote from: jocelyn;184283
Anyhow the whole point of this is that I am really really really really really really happy that it is time for baseball.

tell me about it, so pumped for baseball.  i didn\'t get to see the game yet (I\'ll prob watch parts of the replay later)
but BOS 6 - OAK 5 :)

Quote from: booztravlr;184293

but the [-]NL West [/-] AL East is the best division in baseball

fixed it for ya. ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 12:02:24 pm by Me! »
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2008, 12:11:32 pm »
Quote from: Me!;184304
Their pitching will be top notch as usual but the [-]NL West [/-] AL East is the best division in baseball

fixed it for ya. ;)

Come on guy, you can\'t be ser! I understand the Red Sox won the World Series but that doesn\'t mean the AL East is therefore the best Division in baseball. You can give a boost to the AL East for getting the Wild Card but the NL West also had the Wild Card.

Breakdown of wins per division and then per team for 2007 (to account for the 4 and 6 team divisions)

AL East 408 wins (81.6 avg)
AL Central 404 wins (80.8 avg)
AL West 333 wins (83.25 avg)
NL East 405 wins (81.0 avg)
NL Central 459 wins (76.5 avg     :rip:)     :asskicked
NL West 421 wins (84.2 avg) I subtracted the Rockies/Padres play in game from the total

By these numbers, the AL East is in 3rd and only 5 wins away from being 5th. Far from the best division...

By the way, nice avatar. I\'m assuming it\'s The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Def one of my fav movies.
Smell my mule.

Me!

• life got in the way
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2008, 12:17:55 pm »
;) <---  winky, transtlation just kidding.  :)

Quote from: booztravlr;184311

By the way, nice avatar. I\'m assuming it\'s The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Def one of my fav movies.

I think so, I just did an image search for Clint Eastwood on google.  It\'s def part of the dollar trilogy though.  (prob either A Few Dollars More or TGTB&TU) I\'ve been on a Spaghetti Western kick lately.  Love \'em.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 12:18:59 pm by Me! »
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2008, 02:07:57 pm »
I would have to say that historically, the American League has been the better League and AL East teams have shown that they are historically better.

- The AL has won 61 World Series since 1903 (NL has won 42)
- AL East teams have won 38 out of the 61 series won by the AL East (The Yankees winning 26 - nearly 70% of those wins)

I guess that my ultimate point is that the Yankees are the best team in MLB history. If Boston wins 15-20 more championships in the next 100 years, we\'ll talk.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 02:14:38 pm by Yoda »
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Me!

• life got in the way
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2008, 12:09:19 am »
Quote from: Yoda;184321
I guess that my ultimate point is that the Yankees are the best team in MLB history. If Boston wins 15-20 more championships in the next 100 years, we\'ll talk.

:rolleyes:  typical yankee fan reaction.  Yes we all know that the Yankees are the winningest team in MLB history, you know what? I don\'t care.  I also don\'t care about 2007, or 2004 (other than the end of the "curse of the bambino" and everyone expecting Boston to lose)

I care about the here and now. Yes the Yankees were and are a great ball team, but let\'s see what happens this year, and not consistently fall back on your past record, it does not matter in the \'08 season.  What matters is the game that\'s being played "today".  

It\'s as though Yankee fans are trying to negate to fact that Boston is a great ball team right now by saying that the Yankees have 26 world championships.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2008, 09:01:42 am »
No one is taking anything away from boston, but let\'s not give them the division before the season has even started (Japan doesn\'t count because the rest of us haven\'t started playing).  

But while you\'re at it, "typical yankee fan reaction..." is a comment I was used to hearing in CT from bitter Red Sox fans.  I\'m glad that I don\'t have to hear that in Jersey.

I\'ll also be the first Yankee fan to say this, "There is and there never was a curse of the bambino."  Boston has had 6 chances to win the series since babe was traded and only cashed in on 2 of them.  Blaming 4 WS losses, by one game, on a curse is just the fans\' way of substantiating the loss in their heads.  The Yankees haven\'t won a series since 2000 - there is no curse.  They play like individuals, not a team - plain and simple.

I undestand that boston fans have a good team and I\'m not taking anything away from them, all I\'m saying that let them continue to compete on this level for a couple years in a row before we assume that they will continue to win and take the division before the season has even started.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2008, 09:28:56 am »
ryan, the two games in japan counted twoards the regular season... Given, you can\'t compair stats with other teams until the other teams start up on monday, but those games do count.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2008, 09:47:00 am »
Paul -
I undestand that they do count, but it\'s not realistic for Sox fans to start saying that they are 1/2-1 game up on everyone else seeing as no one else has started to play.  That\'s all I am saying.

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2008, 12:40:34 pm »

NL East - Phillies, Braves, Mets, Marlins, Nationals

care to place a wager on that statment?

Me!

• life got in the way
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2008, 11:33:23 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;184401
I\'ll also be the first Yankee fan to say this, "There is and there never was a curse of the bambino."  Boston has had 6 chances to win the series since babe was traded and only cashed in on 2 of them.  Blaming 4 WS losses, by one game, on a curse is just the fans\' way of substantiating the loss in their heads.

I agree they\'ve suffered from the curse of bad ownership/managers

Quote from: Yoda;184401
I undestand that boston fans have a good team and I\'m not taking anything away from them, all I\'m saying that let them continue to compete on this level for a couple years in a row before we assume that they will continue to win and take the division before the season has even started.

I didn\'t think I implied any assumption that Boston would win the division, baseball is just too long with too many variables, I do think they have a hell of a shot though.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 12:07:25 am by Me! »

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
    • http://
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2008, 12:40:00 pm »

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2008, 12:43:41 pm »
*almost* went to opening day at yankees stadium today but I couldn\'t get out of work at 10am with my friend who wanted to go. Never saw a game there, would have been fun to start off the season cheering for toronto. oh well.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

siflandollie

• Victory to RAGE
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2008, 01:24:06 pm »
who\'s on first?

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2008, 01:50:01 pm »
Quote from: siflandollie;185005
who\'s on first?

That\'s right.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.