Author Topic: 9/12 Derby Birthday Whaley Sammy Madness  (Read 1809 times)

stublatt

9/12 Derby Birthday Whaley Sammy Madness
« on: September 12, 2008, 10:25:55 am »
For those not doing the I91 north thing tonite, and still want to get a bit crazy, John Whaley and his merry pranksters will be celebrating his \'birthday\' in and around CT\'s rock & roll capital of Derby.  The band Hubinger St will be playing at Connie\'s (Elizabeth St), starting a little before 10, and their good friend Sammy Blanchette will be hosting a \'pre-game\' acoustic session at everyone\'s favorite basement lounge, The Twisted Vine (Main St), starting at 8.  Baked goods for all at Connie\'s, and an awesome dinner menu at The Vine.
  The Valley strikes again!!!

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 10:57:36 am »
If you\'ve never gotten to see Hubinger St and you\'re not traveling to see the breakfast, you should make an effort to get to Connie\'s (and twisted vine pregame).  

Huby is fantastic, tons of fun, incredible jams and very friendly fans.  Most of you know Mr. Waley because he comes to tons of breakfast shows/ side projects.  But if you\'ve never seen him drop bass bombs,  you\'re in for a treat.

stublatt

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 11:03:38 am »
Quote from: SlimPickens;202591

Huby is fantastic, tons of fun, incredible jams and very friendly fans.  Most of you know Mr. Waley because he comes to tons of breakfast shows/ side projects.  But if you\'ve never seen him drop bass bombs,  you\'re in for a treat.

John Whaley, Hubi bass player in a previous life, may bribe the band to let him slide in and play a couple classics.  But someone has to be in charge of the bakery, so he\'ll be a busy prankster!

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 11:24:46 am »
Hubinger Street = :vomit:
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 11:55:17 am »
looking forward to tonight. gonna be a fun one.

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 12:09:03 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;202597
STFU
John = one of the best kids on the planet. This is his birthday thread. This is his band.
Your post = totally unnecessary.

You know the old saying if you don\'t have something nice to say............
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 12:13:31 pm »
Whatever... This is a forum... A place to speak your thoughts... I\'m sure John is a great guy... I just think Hubinger sucks, always did... It\'s nothing personal against the guy, just the music...

Happy Birthday John
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 12:15:38 pm »
Quote from: Mark;202607
Quote from: Yoda;202597
STFU
John = one of the best kids on the planet. This is his birthday thread. This is his band.
Your post = totally unnecessary.

You know the old saying if you don\'t have something nice to say............

i cain\'t agree with the last line most of the time....but in ths case.....a most appropriate...........STFU!!!!!!!!!!!

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 12:20:53 pm »
Quote from: stublatt;202594
Quote from: SlimPickens;202591

John Whaley, Hubi bass player in a previous life, may bribe the band to let him slide in and play a couple classics.  But someone has to be in charge of the bakery, so he\'ll be a busy prankster!

Ah man, I forgot that he\'s not playing bass for them anymore.  It\'ll be great anyway.

They really are a great band.  Awesome song writing.  If there\'s a Broseph in heaven, I\'ll get a "Shoe\'s and a Jacket" tonight.  But they never play that anymore :-(

Mark

• Ser PB Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 01:35:14 pm »
Yoda-When is the last time you saw Hubinger Street, or any band for that matter? They happen to be pretty good these days.
"Anyone who knows a god damn thing about this band and has been there as long as some of us have, know god damn well that this show was something special." Ren re: Toads 8/23/07

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 01:45:12 pm »
Mark - I believe that you saw me at Donnegals in March (we actual spoke a little???), but I saw TB when they came to NJ in July.  I haven\'t seen Hubinger since 2000, but gave a them and Max Creek a couple listens at the request of some board members, and I still don\'t like it.  

And let me set this straight, for those that want to come at me or anyone that doesn\'t go to a ton of shows constantly... you don\'t have to constantly go see live music to know what music you like or have particular tastes, or even be a fan of a band for that matter...

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 03:00:36 pm »
Just talked to genc\'s.  Since the band is playing early tonight, he\'s hoping to be back in time for this show.  I\'m hoping he drags Timmy or maybe Dangle-do down for a little sit in action.  Would love that.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 04:45:59 pm »
I\'m a little suspicious if this is really johns birthday or if he just feels like baking. Rumor is he has several birthdays a year. hmmm...
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

RadicalRich1138

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 04:51:56 pm »
what kind of baked goods?

ChrisF

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 05:03:14 pm »
Quote from: RadicalRich1138;202640
what kind of baked goods?

last time it was  yellow cake with white frosting. and trust me, it was good.