Author Topic: 99.1 Wplr  (Read 1850 times)

Dweasel Weasel

• b\'fam legal counsel
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 04:23:47 pm »
Quote from: SlimPickens;200684
I periodically listen to radio.  In southwest CT, you really only have 2 choice:  92.9 (out of long island)

Big D 103 (102.9). I love this station.  It\'s like a history lesson.  I\'ve learned that music has just gone way down hill since \'76.

You\'ve nailed the only stations i flip between.  92.9 is what radio is supposed to be, but it\'s tough to get a good signal much north of new haven.

And yes - pandora.com is excellent.    You should also try accuradio.com.   In some ways it\'s better than pandora because not only can you select discrete genres to play, you can de-select specific artists.   So, if you choose modern rock, you can de-select pearl jam, and they are removed from your mix.
Just looking for peace.  Seriously.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 04:48:53 pm »
Quote from: Dweasel Weasel;200707
I periodically listen to radio.  In southwest CT, you really only have 2 choice:  92.9 (out of long island)

Big D 103 (102.9). I love this station.  It\'s like a history lesson.  I\'ve learned that music has just gone way down hill since \'76.

You\'ve nailed the only stations i flip between.  92.9 is what radio is supposed to be, but it\'s tough to get a good signal much north of new haven.

And yes - pandora.com is excellent.    You should also try accuradio.com.   In some ways it\'s better than pandora because not only can you select discrete genres to play, you can de-select specific artists.   So, if you choose modern rock, you can de-select pearl jam, and they are removed from your mix.

I would say enjoy pandora while you still can. A lot of talk that they cannot make money and may shut down.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080818-pandora-cant-make-money-may-pull-the-plug.html
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

davepeck

• Administrator
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 06:02:14 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;200708
Quote from: Dweasel Weasel;200707

I would say enjoy pandora while you still can. A lot of talk that they cannot make money and may shut down.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080818-pandora-cant-make-money-may-pull-the-plug.html

that\'s too bad. hope it can stay around, though it doesn\'t sound promising. the iphone app is the best thing ever. having pandora available in the car has been an amazing treat.

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
    • http://
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 12:30:51 am »
for me it\'s a steady rotation of aerosmith,stones,van halen,zep,doors......every time i put it on. for my money (well, i got sirius) check out 92.9  (WEHM  i think) from out on the hamptons. you can get it down past milford and anywhere up the shore.

sorry....didn\'t read the thread completely till after i posted. he\'s right though^^^^^
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 12:33:08 am by oldnewbie »

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 01:11:21 am »
Here\'s what I don\'t get.... With the invention of the Ipod and tremendous access to free music, why don\'t more people just shuffle....  I\'ve had my own "radio station" for years and it\'s a wet fucking dream come true.

The whole idea of radio is ludicrous (at least in regards to the die hard music lover).  Why waste your time listening to crap that someone chooses for you when you can create your own endless river of tunes.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 01:11:21 am by Overexjoesure »
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 08:32:53 am »
I have been turned on to new music by radio. I can think of a few from this year alone
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 09:44:02 am »
My co-workers have all taken today off to make the three-day weekend and four-day jaunt instead. While it sucks that I don\'t have vacation time yet (it kicks in Sept. 1... so close), nobody else in the office means gdradio.net and streaming Breakfast all day. Take that, same three Doors songs I\'ve been hearing every day for a month.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

davepeck

• Administrator
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 09:53:23 am »
Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;200863
My co-workers have all taken today off to make the three-day weekend and four-day jaunt instead. While it sucks that I don\'t have vacation time yet (it kicks in Sept. 1... so close), nobody else in the office means gdradio.net and streaming Breakfast all day. Take that, same three Doors songs I\'ve been hearing every day for a month.

Love Her Madly, Light My Fire, and Break On Through?

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 10:13:55 am »
Quote from: davepeck;200864
Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;200863

Love Her Madly, Light My Fire, and Break On Through?

The Alt. Would be "Riders On The Storm"

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 10:23:44 am »
WPLR=LA Woman ever hour on the hour.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 10:52:32 am »
L.A. Woman, Light My Fire, Alabama Song

Though, now that you mention it, I have heard Love Her Madly, Peace Frog, Love Me Two Times and Hello I Love You a lot (though not every day).

So maybe the Doors weren\'t the best punchline for my joke, but you get my point.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 11:08:17 am »
I\'m not sure why everyone has such a backlash towards radio all of the sudden.  This has been the way of radio stations for the past 20 years.  The only time I listen to FM radio is when I\'m driving with my wife because she\'s not into the same music as me and it\'s a happy medium.  But seriously, we know that 75% of all stations are owned by the same conglomerates and want the same 10 songs played over and over.  Quit your bitching and either get XM/Sirius, listen to a CD or listen to an mp3 player.  It\'s as simple as that.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 11:16:32 am »
Quote from: Yoda;200870
I\'m not sure why everyone has such a backlash towards radio all of the sudden.  This has been the way of radio stations for the past 20 years.  The only time I listen to FM radio is when I\'m driving with my wife because she\'s not into the same music as me and it\'s a happy medium.  But seriously, we know that 75% of all stations are owned by the same conglomerates and want the same 10 songs played over and over.  Quit your bitching and either get XM/Sirius, listen to a CD or listen to an mp3 player.  It\'s as simple as that.

It\'s rare that we get a humorous, light-hearted thread going on dotinfo that doesn\'t spiral into an argument. The only "bitching" has pretty much been in the form of stories about not having control over the radio station at work.

I don\'t start threads on dotinfo just to bitch and moan (which puts me in the minority, as of late); though I was half-serious, I was pretty much just posting to joke around instead of doing busy work.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 11:16:58 am by Drew_Kingsley »

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 11:47:32 am »
My bad...Backs out of room and closes the door quietly...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 12:31:32 pm »
Quote from: wildcoyote;200868
WPLR=LA Woman ever hour on the hour.

Just came on... at least now I find it funny, not just annoying. Thanks for that.