Author Topic: 99.1 Wplr  (Read 1849 times)

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
99.1 Wplr
« on: August 27, 2008, 10:31:19 am »
After working in an office that constantly has 99.1 WPLR on the radio for one month, I have already developed the urge to kill the remaining members of Lynyrd Skynyrd. AC/DC and Nickelback are next.

Seriously, I would rather work in silence than hear "Simple Man" or "You Shook Me All Night Long" again.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 10:38:23 am »
Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;200660
After working in an office that constantly has 99.1 WPLR on the radio for one month, I have already developed the urge to kill the remaining members of Lynyrd Skynyrd. AC/DC and Nickelback are next.

Seriously, I would rather work in silence than hear "Simple Man" or "You Shook Me All Night Long" again.

hahaha this is halarious, becuase it reminds me exactly of this station in albany called PIX106.  ALL they play is lynard skynard, ACDC, and pink floyd (although pink floyd is alright even in excess).  But i cant stand LS and ACDC anymore because of how much they overplay them.
DS Newbers

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 11:49:50 am »
Back in college I spent a summer working for the Sacred Heart book store.  They pumped KC101 all day.  Talk about wanting to eat a bullet.

One day, I convinced them to let me take over the music situation, and started with Phish 10/31/94.  

Lame fucks didn\'t even let the whole album play.

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 12:02:12 pm »
Make the best of it.  At 16 I had a job as a school janitor.  
Try seperating a school janitor from his Skynard.  I dare you.
Instead me and another younger guy made a game- If either one of us couldn\'t name the song title and artists of whatever song rolled at coffee break, he had to buy.  It got too easy, so we added knowing the album it was off too.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

Dweasel Weasel

• b\'fam legal counsel
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 12:02:31 pm »
What\'s doubly cruel for the locals of my generation is that PLR played the very same rotation when we were in high school, except it was new then.  

Little did I know that when my 8th grade band was learning "shook me all night long" as a new radio hit, that it would never stop being played.   PLR has literally not changed its format since I was 12-13 years old.     Time has stood still and the rotation is identical - SRV, Journey,George Thorogood, Skynard, etc..   Believe me, when Free Bird was a brand new song, there was something special about it.   Classic rock radio has, however, completely destroyed any enjoyment of that whole bag of stuff.   It\'s like genocide.

Everytime I get annoyed, however, I think about how bad it would be to work at the station.   They\'ve been serving the same french fries for 25 years........
Just looking for peace.  Seriously.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 12:13:29 pm »
high school one of my jobs was stop and shop and I had to listen to the musac all day. oof.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

SkyePrizm

• separator
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 12:22:27 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa;200675
high school one of my jobs was stop and shop and I had to listen to the musac all day. oof.

dont even get me going on musac or is it spelled muzack.  eh, anyways, we notoriously unhooked the system at one of my old stores and hooked up my ipod. best week ever.  Another hated work environment radio station is Star 99.9.  Michael Bolton makes me want to staple things to myself.

Currently, though, at my job, i get to enjoy Pandora.com.... that mixes in all my favs.....so i can\'t complain. i pretty much have free reign.

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 12:37:18 pm »
Quote from: SkyePrizm;200677
Another hated work environment radio station is Star 99.9.

I have no use for any radio station that mentions Celine Dion in any context other than a punchline.

Even the new(ish) 104.1 has gone stale. Sure, the songs are better (in my opinion) than most stations, but it\'s still the same songs every day. I sometimes that think Eddie Vedder and Rivers Cuomo might own the station.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

SlimPickens

• just the tip
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 12:53:13 pm »
I periodically listen to radio.  In southwest CT, you really only have 2 choice:  92.9 (out of long island)

Big D 103 (102.9). I love this station.  It\'s like a history lesson.  I\'ve learned that music has just gone way down hill since \'76.

SkyePrizm

• separator
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 01:07:14 pm »
Quote from: Drew_Kingsley;200680
Quote from: SkyePrizm;200677
Another hated work environment radio station is Star 99.9.

I have no use for any radio station that mentions Celine Dion in any context other than a punchline.

Even the new(ish) 104.1 has gone stale. Sure, the songs are better (in my opinion) than most stations, but it\'s still the same songs every day. I sometimes that think Eddie Vedder and Rivers Cuomo might own the station.

that got a real lol.    

i was just complaining to someone the other day about how the new 104 OVERKILLS Pearl Jam and plays out all the already played out songs.  If i hear daughter one more time.....

Quote from: SlimPickens;200684
I periodically listen to radio.  In southwest CT, you really only have 2 choice:  92.9 (out of long island)

Big D 103 (102.9). I love this station.  It\'s like a history lesson.  I\'ve learned that music has just gone way down hill since \'76.

I will always have soft spot in my heart for the Big D. Its all my mom listens to and its what got me back and forth to high school junior and senior year.....
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 01:07:14 pm by SkyePrizm »

lilblondie

• the FU queen
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 01:17:54 pm »
i had to laugh because the ladies in the office across from me rock out to 99.9 hard....i mean pat benatar all the way was just streaming in...but i guess it is better then no music at all....

but in high school and i am so going to lose my rock and roll card for this one...but i had a job at Tommys Tanning and we had to listen to KC101 becuase they did our ads...it was like hell everyday...crazy tan old ladies...bad music and everytime i did something wrong a customer would be like you know that girl thats not like the rest of them...little hippie me....haha...havent thought about that in a while....
maybe the sun will shine today...
the clouds will roll away..
maybe i wont be so afraid..
i will understand that everything has its plan...
either way...

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 01:32:58 pm »
i just never listen to radio ever anymore, except for in waiting rooms.

I dont even own an mp3 player, i just go CDs all the way
DS Newbers

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 02:11:19 pm »
Westchester has a radio station that is decent 107.1 The Peak. It actually plays stuff you don\'t hear very often and they do decent mix of oldies, reggae, classic rock, etc so they are kind of all over the place.

But I find myself listening to 1010WINS more than anything these days. Traffic, news etc when I want tunes I\'ll try the radio and if noting good is on switch to CDs or Cassettes :)
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

stublatt

99.1 Wplr
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 02:28:40 pm »
Funny, just last week, I was in an e-mail back-and-forth with PLR\'s mid-day host Pam Landry (a non-music thing), when I decided to swing things in the direction of her "Landry\'s Luncheonette - BluePlate Special" (which is supposedly an all-request hour).  Asked her if I could request an Allmans/Dead 2fer, a prelim to that evening\'s ABB/Ratdog show in Hartford.  Except for the fact that the BluePlate is supposedly a request format, her response was not so surprising:

"....  if I could I would...those days are long gone where we can pick what we want to play....*sigh*

My response to her was basically: "OK - if you could at least sneak in anything by the Allmans, would be appreciated".

Well, the good news is that she apparently kicked her prog. director in the nuts and played an Allmans tune.  All of that to hear fukkn "Rambling Man"!!!!!!!!

PLR - living on the edge.

Commercial radio blows!!!!!!!!

SlimPickens

• just the tip
99.1 Wplr
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 03:47:12 pm »
Quote from: stublatt;200702
Funny, just last week, I was in an e-mail back-and-forth with PLR\'s mid-day host Pam Landry (a non-music thing), when I decided to swing things in the direction of her "Landry\'s Luncheonette - BluePlate Special" (which is supposedly an all-request hour).  Asked her if I could request an Allmans/Dead 2fer, a prelim to that evening\'s ABB/Ratdog show in Hartford.  Except for the fact that the BluePlate is supposedly a request format, her response was not so surprising:

"....  if I could I would...those days are long gone where we can pick what we want to play....*sigh*

My response to her was basically: "OK - if you could at least sneak in anything by the Allmans, would be appreciated".

Well, the good news is that she apparently kicked her prog. director in the nuts and played an Allmans tune.  All of that to hear fukkn "Rambling Man"!!!!!!!!

PLR - living on the edge.

Commercial radio blows!!!!!!!!

I would bet that since PLR is owned by Cox Radio, they don\'t have a local programming director.  It\'s all controlled by the corporate headquarters.