Author Topic: The Breakfast on OiNK  (Read 10250 times)

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
The Breakfast on OiNK
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2006, 04:02:53 pm »
True......Mandler......True.......

So I should stop burning moxie epoxy and leaving the copies on car windshields at the ct post mall?
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
The Breakfast on OiNK
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2006, 04:04:39 pm »
Quote from: Stephengencs;125289
True......Mandler......True.......

So I should stop burning moxie epoxy and leaving the copies on car windshields at the ct post mall?

:lol: nah that\'s cool :biggrin:
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
The Breakfast on OiNK
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2006, 04:08:06 pm »
Quote from: princesscaspian;125280
it is because i\'m a fan and have the upmost respect for them that i want to see them succeed... since they dont get radio play, and don\'t sell albums in stores, word of mouth is their lifeline at this stage in the game.... (see above for math)
Fine, I agree - word of mouth is the lifeline. So, go out and re-upload one of the HUNDREDS of shows that are freely traded and AUTHORIZED for trade by the band. Then if people like them, they might actually PURCHASE the album and the band has a chance of making some money rather than the guarentee of loosing money.

and who said *anything* about ratios?
i don\'t have anything but burned copies and i\'m worried about gettin kicked off oink,
From what I know, that\'s the only way you can get kicked off of Oink is to let your ratio slip. If you are afraid of getting kicked off, your ratio must therefor be low.

How would you like it if you went into work and were told you were no longer going to get paid but you have to keep doing the job? How long would you stay at that job before you went looking for some other line of employment?

and aren\'t you against file sharing?
No, but with a very few exceptions, I only download live concert recordings that are authorized.

if you use oink, what gives you the right to criticize me?
I will admit, I have downloaded a few albums in my life, but I could count them on 1 hand and I went out and purchased one of them over again because it was really good but the quality sucks and I\'m a stickler for sound quality. I had oink and I downloaded an obscure monty python album. That was it. Since my ratio didn\'t go up, I was kicked off. I see no need to go back.

I\'m not saying I\'m perfect, I don\'t think anyone here is. However, I live within my means. I\'ve only recently gotten into wilco, a band I\'ve been told about for years but never listened to because I didn\'t buy any of their albums. Could I have downloaded them as soon as I heard? Sure, but that\'s not me.

I don\'t see a reason to argue over this since we obviously have different views. I am just asking you as one fan to another to please take heed of the bands request not to upload any official material.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 04:09:42 pm by FrankZappa »
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

jking

• thanks!!
The Breakfast on OiNK
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2006, 04:13:40 pm »
if you upload things that have been burnt prior to uploading, you get kicked off/warned. i think that\'s what she meant.

FrankZappa

• Administrator
The Breakfast on OiNK
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2006, 04:21:40 pm »
Quote from: jking;125295
if you upload things that have been burnt prior to uploading, you get kicked off/warned. i think that\'s what she meant.

Not sure I understand what that means, but sure, ok.

So If I made a copy of a album to a blank cd, then ripped the copy and uploaded it they system would detect this and ban me?
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
The Breakfast on OiNK
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2006, 04:43:54 pm »
i think its bullshit.
i think they should get as many fols as they can to listen to them,anyway they can.
with the strong competetion of great bands,its hard for folks to just go out and buy an album because they heard it was good.most times,kids download something>determine whether or not they like said band>check them out live>become a fan>BUY the albums..
its been an uphill battle.its been a battle that makes absolutely no sense.the more kids who heard the band,the more itll get them to shows>turn them into fans.
i say oink it all!!
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
The Breakfast on OiNK
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2006, 04:51:41 pm »
my band makes dick on record sales, but i still dont want it being stolen on the internet.  there are better ways of marketing something other than giving it away for free.   if i\'m authorizing my music to be given away for free, what am i saying about the value of that music?  furthermore, say my band gets huge because we let people have our music for free.  then what?  we\'ve set a precedent.  it\'s like the dead asking for their shows to be taken off archive.  the fact of the matter is that my band spent a serious amount of money making this record, and we are going to have to work really hard to recoup that and maybe make some profit, so i\'d be pretty upset if i saw that people were giving it away for free.  and from what i understand, the breakfast have the same mindset.  and whereas i don\'t always agree with all their business decisions, it IS their decision and that must be respected.  end of story.  this isn\'t even really a discussion about the morality of sites like oink in general, it\'s about the breakfast on oink.  they dont want their studio stuff on there.  i dont blame them.  end of story.  if you\'re uploading and seeding their stuff on there, then you are doing what the band has asked you not to do.  can anyone do anything about it?  no.  but you might want to look at that.
Postcount +1.

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
The Breakfast on OiNK
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2006, 04:59:10 pm »
::uploads new urban fetch album on the pig::

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
The Breakfast on OiNK
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2006, 05:17:07 pm »
you\'d have to buy it first, jerkface. ;)
Postcount +1.

jking

• thanks!!
The Breakfast on OiNK
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2006, 05:22:26 pm »
frank~ yes, that\'s exactly what i meant. if its not an original recording, the quality becomes lessened (unless you use feurio to burn, but since no one does anymore even \'lossless\' formats aren\'t really lossless after they\'ve been ripped once) and they\'re trying to maintain the best quality recordings.

and while i agree that what the band says, goes, the fact that people may hear them and then attend shows seems like a bigger draw, to me, than maintaining your stance of not releasing the album by any means neccessary. yes, once a bunch of folks are buying, then keep the profits, but if the bfast (or fetch or any up and coming band) actually think they\'ll recoup their investment on album sales alone.... well, i\'ll be mightily surprised.

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
The Breakfast on OiNK
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2006, 05:44:34 pm »
Quote from: freddiewaht;125299
i think its bullshit.

i say oink it all!!

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
The Breakfast on OiNK
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2006, 11:03:29 pm »
first let\'s look at some other bands:

tea leaf green - 11 active torrents
raq - 8
pnuma trio - 2
umphrey\'s - 129
brothers past - 6
lotus - 24

these active torrents have resulted in literally hundreds of downloads for each band.

now let\'s look at the breakfast:

one (1) active torrent has been downloaded two (2) times...probably because of all the covers in the setlist.

now, would it be better to expose literally hundreds of people to their music (think of it as free advertising for shows - where this band will find their fanbase), or would it be better to wait for these potential fans to look for an album that is impossible to find?

and how biased is it to consider the band\'s wishes? of course they don\'t want their music given away for free...no artist does.  and i\'m sure if they all had it their way, oink wouldn\'t even exist. but you know what? it does exist - and it would be stupid to not use this tool to its fullest potential.

personally, i don\'t think i would buy the breakfast album, or a disco biscuits album (my favorite band), or pretty much any album that wasn\'t going to be a gift to somebody. i spend my money going to shows because i can\'t really afford to go to shows and buy every cd i want. i can tell you that i regularly use oink to find new music and that tens of thousands do the same.
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
The Breakfast on OiNK
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2006, 11:24:23 pm »
Quote from: zuke583;125345
first let\'s look at some other bands:

tea leaf green - 11 active torrents
raq - 8
pnuma trio - 2
umphrey\'s - 129
brothers past - 6
lotus - 24

these active torrents have resulted in literally hundreds of downloads for each band.

now let\'s look at the breakfast:

one (1) active torrent has been downloaded two (2) times...probably because of all the covers in the setlist.

now, would it be better to expose literally hundreds of people to their music (think of it as free advertising for shows - where this band will find their fanbase), or would it be better to wait for these potential fans to look for an album that is impossible to find?

and how biased is it to consider the band\'s wishes? of course they don\'t want their music given away for free...no artist does.  and i\'m sure if they all had it their way, oink wouldn\'t even exist. but you know what? it does exist - and it would be stupid to not use this tool to its fullest potential.

personally, i don\'t think i would buy the breakfast album, or a disco biscuits album (my favorite band), or pretty much any album that wasn\'t going to be a gift to somebody. i spend my money going to shows because i can\'t really afford to go to shows and buy every cd i want. i can tell you that i regularly use oink to steal new music and that tens of thousands do the same.

I still do not see the need for 4 studio albums and a live album to be put up on a site for free when there is 100\'s of live shows to choose from in more places. Just as easy to download w/o the need for ratio upkeep.
It achieves the same result AND complies w/ the band\'s wishes.
What is so difficult about this?
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

FrankZappa

• Administrator
The Breakfast on OiNK
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2006, 05:44:38 am »
Quote from: leith;125347
I still do not see the need for 4 studio albums and a live album to be put up on a site for free when there is 100\'s of live shows to choose from in more places. Just as easy to download w/o the need for ratio upkeep.
It achieves the same result AND complies w/ the band\'s wishes.
What is so difficult about this?

:that:

see leith, I agree with you sometimes :P

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
The Breakfast on OiNK
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2006, 11:35:17 am »
ok everyone that is envolved in the conversation knows the band on a first name basis, you got a problem with it?  You really want something to be done about it?  Go talk to Tim, Go talk to Ron, Go talk to Adrian, and get off hear and stop wasting my time with this stupid get nowhere bullshit.  If you really think it\'s a good idea take it to the appropriate source.  We can\'t do anything about it on here, that\'s the way it is, the band does not want professionally released discs on ther.  END OF STORY.  As I said before their music their decision.  Wether we agree with it or not.  You think th eband could benifit from it talk to them, you might actually convince them it\'s a good idea.  They\'re reasonable people. (for the most part)  sitting on the interenet bitching about it does no one any good.  [/rant]
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon