Author Topic: Ct Hb06062 An Act Prohibiting Open Containers Of Alcoholic Beverages In Motor Vehicl  (Read 4596 times)

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Quote from: Spacey;231653
Quote from: Yoda;231649
Quote from: Spacey;231648
Quote from: phirehead;231644
Quote from: Spacey;231639
How can you live in CT and not know that this law exists?

Because I don\'t drink in the car. It\'s never been an issue for me. Forgive me for NOT being a lush.

Has nothing to do with being a lush as much as it does that you live under a rock.

My grandmother knows about this law.

I wonder how many people really know what there rights are or do they just blindly follow what is "commonly believed." There are so many stupid laws that exist.

I think that most people would think that this was a law, but not know that this law didn\'t exist in the past.  I don\'t think that it\'s blindly following "commonly believed" laws, it\'s a matter of using common sense...

Common sense is not putting your dick in a blender.

Having a passenger in my car with an open container is not. It is his right, just like someone can drink a pepsi in their car.

If you assume that it was a law than your an ass.

Know your rights.

You\'re right, everyone should know all the federal laws and state laws in which they live, but the reality of it is that that "no one" knows all the laws... Common sense says to me, if you\'re stepping in my car, you\'re going to do a couple things off the top:

- Wear a seatbelt (I don\'t care if you\'re of age and will get the ticket, my car, my rules)
- No booze in the car (again, my car, my rules)
- Radio control (put what you want on, but ultimately I have the final say)

This line of discussion is so ascenine.... Is there a law that says that you should eat your own shit, no, but common sense says that you shouldn\'t.... I know that\'s an extreme example, but thinking that you\'re right to have open containers of alcohol in your car is right because it wasn\'t a law on the books is just plain stupid...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
Yeah, this law is a total waste of tax payers money.  What right does the state have over passangers in my car?  

This is a clear case of a State over stepping their bounds.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
Quote from: phirehead;231655

Because I don\'t drink in the car. It\'s never been an issue for me. Forgive me for NOT being a lush.

Has nothing to do with being a lush as much as it does that you live under a rock.

I wonder how many people really know what there rights are or do they just blindly follow what is "commonly believed." There are so many stupid laws that exist.

Good for your grandmother.

Next time you want a place to hang out, don\'t come to my "rock."

:point:
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Quote from: Yoda;231656

I think that most people would think that this was a law, but not know that this law didn\'t exist in the past.  I don\'t think that it\'s blindly following "commonly believed" laws, it\'s a matter of using common sense...

Having a passenger in my car with an open container is not. It is his right, just like someone can drink a pepsi in their car.

Know your rights.

You\'re right, everyone should know all the federal laws and state laws in which they live, but the reality of it is that that "no one" knows all the laws... Common sense says to me, if you\'re stepping in my car, you\'re going to do a couple things off the top:

- Wear a seatbelt (I don\'t care if you\'re of age and will get the ticket, my car, my rules)

This line of discussion is so ascenine.... Is there a law that says that you should eat your own shit, no, but common sense says that you shouldn\'t.... I know that\'s an extreme example, but thinking that you\'re right to have open containers of alcohol in your car is right because it wasn\'t a law on the books is just plain stupid...

Yoda I think it is safe to say that you take an extreme position when it comes to anything revolving around alcohol and automobiles.

how does allowing your passenger to consume an alcoholic beverage in any way cause a risk to other people on the road ?

This law does nothing to address drunk driving or anything like that.

And No alcohol in your car ? ever ? how do you get it home ? do you always walk to the liquor store or grocery store when you want to buy beer ?
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Quote from: kindm\'s;231661
Quote from: Yoda;231656

Know your rights.

Yoda I think it is safe to say that you take an extreme position when it comes to anything revolving around alcohol and automobiles.

how does allowing your passenger to consume an alcoholic beverage in any way cause a risk to other people on the road ?

This law does nothing to address drunk driving or anything like that.

And No alcohol in your car ? ever ? how do you get it home ? do you always walk to the liquor store or grocery store when you want to buy beer ?

You\'re right, I do take that to an extreme... I believe that the law is refencing "open containers"... If you buy a sixer and drive it home, I think you\'re okay...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

inthewhitelodge

Agreed. The cell phone law, as well as several others, could already be legislated and are covered by prior existing laws. If someone\'s hands aren\'t on the wheel/clutch and they aren\'t paying attention, we have a damn law for that. The celly law is just to red tape up an even higher fine.

As for open container laws--- Some enjoy alcohol in someone\'s car while they are  passengers, and it\'s likely a safe bet to, as long as your driver is competent and the road is clear. Take pregaming as a case in point. If you were to get stopped for a roadblock for instance, just make sure the passenger is 21! Otherwise, don\'t agree to any search of the car (if at all possible) and stash away.
"When I hold you, I hold everything that is-- swans, volcanoes, river rocks, maple trees drinking the fragrance of the moon, bread that the fire adores. In your life I see everything that lives."- Pablo Neruda:wave:

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Quote from: inthewhitelodge;231671

Agreed. The cell phone law, as well as several others, could already be legislated and are covered by prior existing laws. If someone\'s hands aren\'t on the wheel/clutch and they aren\'t paying attention, we have a damn law for that. The celly law is just to red tape up an even higher fine.

As for open container laws--- Some enjoy alcohol in someone\'s car while they are  passengers, and it\'s likely a safe bet to, as long as your driver is competent and the road is clear. Take pregaming as a case in point. If you were to get stopped for a roadblock for instance, just make sure the passenger is 21! Otherwise, don\'t agree to any search of the car (if at all possible) and stash away.

Where the hell are you driving.  Unless is 3:30 in the morning, I don\'t think I\'ve ever been on a main road anywhere I\'ve lived that doesn\'t have another driver on it...

SkyePrizm

• separator
This kind of was an "unspoken" law already.   It\'s obviously illegal to drive drunk, and if you had an open container, you would be immediately suspect, so they\'d give you a breathalizer and tests.   Kind of common sense there.   And then perhaps find you to be under the influence...now...if they pull you over, thats it.  You\'re immediately doing an illegal act without even giving you a test.    

Moral of this: don\'t drive drunk, don\'t drive with open bottles.   It\'s not rocket science here.  

CT Laws on drinking and driving are brutal now.   My friend\'s dad, a good average guy, got thrown in jail because he stupidly got caught THREE times drinking and driving.  Yes, he had bad luck.   Who gets caught three times?   You want to know where?  Coming and going between the valley and orange.  Right near most of us.   Be it a lesson learned, they mean business.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:09:26 pm by SkyePrizm »

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
3 times is a lot... I would think that most people\'d learn after the first time...

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
I never knew about this law before I met fitzy and tka. I didn\'t believe them until I saw it was being revoked.

That said, I think you should all show up drunk to protest this. :lol:
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

SkyePrizm

• separator
Quote from: Yoda;231678
3 times is a lot... I would think that most people\'d learn after the first time...

Like i said, he has bad luck. ;)   And thought like most of us, he could get home quick and never get caught.  It doesn\'t take much to be over the legal limit.   And those Orange cops along route 34 are BASTARDS. I\'ll be the first to admit it.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
People need to realize that 0.08 is less than one full beer... I\'ve never claimed to be a saint, but after one night of just getting home and then having sea-legs, it never happened again...

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
As a side note, "highway" by the states definition includes all route roads, so in addition to 91, 95, 15/merritt/wilbur, 9, 8, 324, etc, it will also include 34, 68, 17, 80, etc.

Route roads also have other names and will often go right through the center of towns, so don\'t think this means as long as you\'re not on 95 you\'re safe.

Also, even numbers go east west and odd numbers go north south.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

SkyePrizm

• separator
And while we are on the subject of DUI, here\'s my advice...

when you are going through a DUI Check point, smoking a bowl, joint, etc. isn\'t recommended.   Because they are looking for alcohol, that doesn\'t mean that pot is okay.  Remember they\'re cops.

Mark did a DUI check point on saturday night and had ZERO alcohol arrests, yet he had THREE marijuana arrests because brilliant individuals thought "that" was okay.  One kid actually had a bowl out in the open...BRILLIANT....

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
Quote from: Yoda;231684
People need to realize that 0.08 is less than one full beer

false
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor