Author Topic: Ct Hb06062 An Act Prohibiting Open Containers Of Alcoholic Beverages In Motor Vehicl  (Read 4600 times)

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
already passed the senate, moving onto the house:

Quote from: senate
General Assembly
    Raised Bill No. 1054

January Session, 2009
    LCO No. 3824

*03824_______TRA*

Referred to Committee on Transportation

Introduced by:

(TRA)

AN ACT PROHIBITING OPEN CONTAINERS OF ALCOHOL IN MOTOR VEHICLES.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:

Section 1. (NEW) (Effective October 1, 2009) (a) For the purposes of this section:

(1) "Alcoholic beverage" has the same meaning as provided in section 30-1 of the general statutes;

(2) "Highway" has the same meaning as provided in section 14-1 of the general statutes;

(3) "Open alcoholic beverage container" means a bottle, can or other receptacle that (A) contains any amount of an alcoholic beverage, and (B) (i) is open or has a broken seal, or (ii) the contents of which are partially removed;

(4) "Passenger" means any occupant of a motor vehicle other than the operator; and

(5) "Passenger area" means (A) the area designed to seat the operator of and any passenger in a motor vehicle while such vehicle is being operated on a highway, or (B) any area of a motor vehicle that is readily accessible to such operator or passenger while such person is in such person\'s seating position, except that, in a motor vehicle not equipped with a trunk, "passenger area" does not include a locked glove compartment, the area behind the last upright seat closest to the rear of the motor vehicle or an area not normally occupied by the operator of or passengers in such motor vehicle.

(b) No person shall possess an open alcoholic beverage container within the passenger area of a motor vehicle while such motor vehicle is on any highway in this state.

(c) The provisions of subsection (b) of this section shall not apply to: (1) Any passenger in a motor vehicle designed, maintained and primarily used for the transportation of persons for hire, or (2) any passenger in the living quarters of a recreational vehicle, as defined in section 14-1 of the general statutes.

(d) Any person who violates the provisions of subsection (b) of this section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars.

This act shall take effect as follows and shall amend the following sections:

Section 1
 October 1, 2009
 New section

Statement of Purpose:

To prohibit open containers of alcohol in motor vehicles.

[Proposed deletions are enclosed in brackets. Proposed additions are indicated by underline, except that when the entire text of a bill or resolution or a section of a bill or resolution is new, it is not underlined.]

Quote from: house
General Assembly
    Proposed Bill No. 6062

January Session, 2009
    LCO No. 1340

Referred to Committee on Transportation

Introduced by:

REP. MUSHINSKY, 85th Dist.

AN ACT PROHIBITING OPEN CONTAINERS OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES IN MOTOR VEHICLES.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:

That the general statutes be amended to adopt a state open container law prohibiting open alcoholic beverage containers in motor vehicles located on a public highway or right-of-way.

Statement of Purpose:

To conform with federal law and to reduce the incidence of drunk driving.

source
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
Surprised you guys don\'t already have that law...
Masturbation in the MFA

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
Masturbation in the MFA

tyzack

• http://
Quote from: jocelyn;231623

Quote from: jocelyn;231624

Yeah, I thought that law was pretty universal in the north eastern/western parts of the country.

Yeah, I thought that law was pretty universal in the north eastern/western parts of the country.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
(c) The provisions of subsection (b) of this section shall not apply to: (1) Any passenger in a motor vehicle designed, maintained and primarily used for the transportation of persons for hire, or (2) any passenger in the living quarters of a recreational vehicle, as defined in section 14-1 of the general statutes.
But at least party buses (and taxis (?) so it seems from the phrasing) are still legit.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

phirehead

• dodging ser crazy
I did not know we didn\'t already have this! I learn something new everyday. With that being said, I thought it was pretty much a given that you shouldn\'t be cracking a beer and driving at the same time? no? Just me?

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
How can you live in CT and not know that this law exists?
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Isn\'t it common sense not to be in a car with an open container of booze?
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Quote from: Yoda;231641
Isn\'t it common sense not to be in a car with an open container of booze?

If I am the driver and have open booze, yes.

If I am a passenger, then no.

You ain\'t from these parts.

phirehead

• dodging ser crazy
Quote from: Spacey;231639

Because I don\'t drink in the car. It\'s never been an issue for me. Forgive me for NOT being a lush.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Quote from: phirehead;231644

Because I don\'t drink in the car. It\'s never been an issue for me. Forgive me for NOT being a lush.

Has nothing to do with being a lush as much as it does that you live under a rock.

My grandmother knows about this law.

I wonder how many people really know what there rights are or do they just blindly follow what is "commonly believed." There are so many stupid laws that exist.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Quote from: Spacey;231648

Has nothing to do with being a lush as much as it does that you live under a rock.

I wonder how many people really know what there rights are or do they just blindly follow what is "commonly believed." There are so many stupid laws that exist.

I think that most people would think that this was a law, but not know that this law didn\'t exist in the past.  I don\'t think that it\'s blindly following "commonly believed" laws, it\'s a matter of using common sense...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
this is def already a law in NY
DS Newbers

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Quote from: Yoda;231649

I think that most people would think that this was a law, but not know that this law didn\'t exist in the past.  I don\'t think that it\'s blindly following "commonly believed" laws, it\'s a matter of using common sense...

Common sense is not putting your dick in a blender.

Having a passenger in my car with an open container is not. It is his right, just like someone can drink a pepsi in their car.

If you assume that it was a law than your an ass.

Know your rights.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:18:10 am by Spacey »

phirehead

• dodging ser crazy

Good for your grandmother.

Next time you want a place to hang out, don\'t come to my "rock."