Author Topic: Musicians among us?  (Read 1108 times)

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Musicians among us?
« on: January 31, 2006, 04:13:49 pm »
We can probably all agree that Breakfast fans have good taste in music :D

That said, I guessed that there\'s probably a lot of musicians among us? I wonder what kind of crazy virtual super-band we could create if we all jammed with our respective gears and talents...

I\'ll start. ;)

My rig:

2000 MIM Stratocaster, maple neck, 9-way pickup rewire, Blue/Silver/Red Lace Sensor pickups > Cry Baby Wah > Boss CS-3 Compressor/Sustainer > Ibanez Fuzz > Dano Milkshake Chorus > Boomerang Phrase Sampler > Peavey Classic 30 tube amp

My style: Manic

My chops: Self-taught, started 5-6 years ago. Played piano before that.

My influences: Trey, Billy Corgan, T-Palms, Joe Walsh, Drive-By Truckers, Flaming Lips...

My biggest handicap: I\'m too lazy to remember that many songs all the way through, I\'d rather just jam.

Whatchu got?
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
Musicians among us?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 04:38:28 pm »
I play a Fender Precision bass, a MicroKorg Synthesizer and a Roland RS 70 Synthesizer. Attempting to save up for a loop station.

and i disagree with that first statement, I personally have a horrible taste in music.

My biggest handicap: I\'m too lazy to remember that many songs all the way through, I\'d rather just jam.
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
Musicians among us?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 04:49:09 pm »
My rig:

2004 Ibanez Artcore AS73 > Vox Wah > Electro Harmonix Q Tron > Ibanez Tubescremer TS9 > MXR Dyna Comp w/ Analog Man Ross Mod > Pro Co Rat > Ernie Ball Volume Pedal > 1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb (for recording) OR 1965 Fender Bandmaster (for select gigs) OR Roland JC120 Jazz Chorus (for all other gigs)

My style: Bluesy and emotional, yet pragmatic.

My chops: Learned under the instruction of Lou Ubriaco for 9 or 10 years.  Attended Berklee College of Music for one summer studying jazz guitar.

My influences: Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, John McLaughlin, Clapton, Jimmy Page, Zappa, TimmyP.

My biggest handicap: I can be too ambitious in my composition.
Postcount +1.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Musicians among us?
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 05:06:47 pm »
^^
Serious chops!

TreyChica: Bad taste in music = the 2 out of many, many noobs I brought to PB/Breakfast shows who thought it was "pretty good" or less
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
Musicians among us?
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 05:23:52 pm »
seriously I have the worst taste in music out of everyone who has ever seen TB.
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

WALSH

• Mahoney
    • http://
Musicians among us?
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 06:12:13 pm »
I hear Leith doesn\'t want to join a band of any sort he just enjoys playing with himself.
Too fat for a tandem bike, and too drunk for a Mountain Bike...taste the fear.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
Musicians among us?
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 06:12:31 pm »
oh stop fishing for compliments :P

Edit: talkng to Joe, not Walsh
Masturbation in the MFA

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
Musicians among us?
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 06:54:13 pm »
No way. The only person in this community who semi-understands my musical taste is Mark.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
Musicians among us?
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 07:42:59 pm »
Quote from: TreyChica
No way. The only person in this community who semi-understands my musical taste is Mark.

Reading your musical tastes (progressive rock/jazz fusion) isn\'t exactly ancient Greek.

;)
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
Musicians among us?
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 08:17:02 pm »
It\'s more than that, but let\'s face it, in this community I\'m a rare, if not extinct breed.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
Musicians among us?
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 08:22:09 pm »
Quote from: TreyChica
It\'s more than that, but let\'s face it, in this community I\'m a rare, if not extinct breed.

Anything in particular that should be mentioned alongside this statement?
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
Musicians among us?
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 08:43:20 pm »
kraut rock, early 90\'s compton gangsta rap, coke music...

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
Musicians among us?
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 09:20:42 pm »
what are you talking about kraut rock??  nothin wrong with 90\'s compton rap, and what do you qualify as coke music?
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
Musicians among us?
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 09:31:01 pm »
Kraut Rock refers to the legions of German bands of the early \'70s that expanded the sonic possibilities of art and progressive rock. Instead of following in the direction of their British and American counterparts, who were moving toward jazz and classical-based compositions and concept albums, the German bands became more mechanical and electronic. Working with early synthesizers and splicing together seemingly unconnected reels of tape, bands like Faust, Can, and Neu created a droning, pulsating sound that owed more to the avant garde than to rock & roll. Although the bands didn\'t make much of an impact while they were active in the \'70s, their music anticipated much post-punk of the early \'80s, particularly industrial rock. Kraut rock also came into vogue in the \'90s, when groups like Stereolab and Tortoise began incorporating the hypnotic rhythms and electronic experiments of the German art-rock bands into their own, vaguely avant-garde indie rock.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
Musicians among us?
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 09:53:13 pm »
You\'re right all the music you like is objectively bad...

Ever heard of the german band "The Notwist" ?
They started off metal for a few albums and then did a Radiohead-ish turn towards more electronic and slower stuff in Shrink and Neon Golden.

Good stuff.