Author Topic: Random of Montreal bashing: All the cool kids are doing it! Hurry before it\'s uncool!  (Read 6929 times)

princesscaspian

• gemini tactics
kevin barnes\' description of the Skeletal Lamping

"This record is my attempt to bring all of my puzzling, contradicting, disturbing, humorous...fantasies, ruminations and observations to the surface, so that I can better dissect and understand their reason for being in my head. Hence the title, Skeletal Lamping. Lamping is the name of a hunting technique where hunters go into the forest at night, flood an area in light, then shoot or capture the animals as they panic and run from their hiding places."

seems like he hit it dead on.....

zuke\'s totally right....i mean honestly, at least listen to the music, don\'t just make fun of it because of how it looks.... it is *music*, remember? wtf? fuckin haters.
and what CAN you do, when your world is invaded by a reggaejunkiejew?!?

SkyePrizm

• separator
Actually, over the winter, i gave her their last album a listen.  I did enjoy some of the music when i really dug into the lyric content.  I personally loved Nonpareil of favor.  i even gave it a listen right now.   However, from looking at videos online, i could almost do without the theatrics.....

and that picture is still hysterical, no matter what their music sounds like.

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
Quote from: Klout;227470
dude breaking bad is on sundays wtf are u talking about

One of the best shows on TV.
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
Heisenberg would shoot kevin barnes in the grill

princesscaspian

• gemini tactics
klout im gonna go Tuco on your ass if u keep hating

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
I\'m just breakin balls. I\'m glad their music brings you folks so much enjoyment.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 12:04:40 am by Klout »

princesscaspian

• gemini tactics
pffft whatevs.... they are my favorite, your insults go deep. i love kevin !!!!! he is my muse

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
talk about starving musicians..... throw those kids a sandwich for Christ sakes
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
For serious I don\'t care if you guys like em or not... but yeah my buddy has made me listen to way too much Of Monteal (convinced I will some day see the light) but honestly I\'d rather hear someone scratch nails on a chalkboard.

Enjoy what you like though :)
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Saw my first Of Montreal show Monday night in Boston.  Killer show.  The music and the persona certainly make for interesting discussion.  

However, as a marketing guy, I have to say I am blown away by the sophistication and consistency of the branding that Of Montreal has working for them.  Absolutely every detail is in line and tells the Of Montreal story.  The music, the lyrics, the album art, the projections, the outfits, the extra performers on stage, the merch, the merch girl, even the paint job on the tour bus...everything you can touch, see, or hear that involves this band has been carefully selected and arranged.  They have some very, very sharp people organizing this act.  

I first noticed this when I purchased the albums Hissing Fauna and Skeletal Lamping at the same time and saw the obvious consistency between the album art.  The newer album (Skeletal Lamping) takes the same motif one step farther than the previous album.  Then when you see the band live it all comes together.  The projectors behind the band feature the same art as the albums.  The band dresses like the people in the projections.  The album art depicts things that happen in the songs.  The extra performers on stage act out what happens in the songs.  The performers all look like they could be brothers and sisters.  The designs on all the merch are tied into everything.  Even the damn tour bus is hot purple with a light purple spiral design; it\'s not just any stark black or maroon tour bus.  Overall it\'s the most thoroughly put together band brand I\'ve seen in a long time.  This is what is driving their growth.  

I had chained my bike up to a parking meter right in front of the bus.  As I was unchaining to go home, someone came out of the bus.  I struck up a conversation.  Turns out he is the band\'s artist, and he is always on the road with the band.  Read that again.  This band takes their artist on the road to every show.  His primary role is to make sure everything at every show is consistent from an artistic standpoint, from the lights to the merch table to the personal appearance of every person associated with the band.  This is no joke.  These guys take their art and brand extremely seriously, and it is working.    

I think their Bonnaroo show will be ginormous.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 11:58:07 pm by Wolfman »

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
they\'re flaming queers and have painted their bus accordingly. so what.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 12:24:17 am by Klout »

princesscaspian

• gemini tactics
wolfman, fantastic piece, i\'m so glad to hear you enjoyed yourself! i\'ve hyped this band to so many people, sometimes i worry about being so careless with something that means so much to me.

kevin barnes is a crazy, crazy dude, and of montreal is the creation that sprung out of his mind, which makes me absolutely love him and his brain. i can relate to his neurotic attention to detail and the way in which he expresses it.... i can appreciate those small technicalities and thats why i love them so much; furthermore, i think thats why the most interesting and inspired people in my life are equally as captivated by this band as i am...

i\'ve been seeing shows since i was what, 10 years old? and of montreal absolutely raised the bar for me.... im really glad u got to see them wolfman, and even happier that you had such a positive experience! :)

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
See, this is weird, cuz my buddy who\'s been mega-obsessed with Of Monteal probably as long as I\'ve been down with Breakfast said the Toad\'s show was totally wack and he might even like the band less now.

He probably could have used some better drugs?
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
Quote from: bdfreetuna;227790
He probably could have used some better drugs?

no drugs necessary for these shows. believe me
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
From what I\'ve seen I\'d probably have a mental breakdown if any drugs were involved.

Ok sorry I\'ll stop now.

/tuna high fives Klout :lol: