Author Topic: The Official LOST season 3 thread (Possible Spoilers)  (Read 8904 times)

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
The Official LOST season 3 thread (Possible Spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 10:30:01 am »
The reason they did the break is pretty obvious, they wanted a strong contender for sweeps to go against american idol so that they can show good earnings in both 4th and 1st quarter instead of increadible earnings in 4 and dismal in 1st. That way it looks like the rest of thier pathetic lineup of shows is stronger than they really are.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

bigmtskier

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 09:09:09 am »
Thought the episode was good not great, better than the start of the season where sawyer is brainless (wiseguy)punching bag.   Too violent for a psycho-drama. Make it science fiction cerebral.
      Jacks a pretty clever surgeon, eh?  to play that trick on them. Eh? ;/
     The brain washing thing was out there but that guys girlfrnd should have been allowed to leave the island by Juliet.     And I totally agree they have to stop doing flashbacks on new characters ----they are making this into some kind of Russian epic; we can only handle sixteen MAJOR characters; well, at least my little pea-brain can.  Are they going to have a three month wrap up when its all over?    All nine viewers will  be LOST by then!
steve in montana
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 09:09:51 am by bigmtskier »

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 07:39:02 am »
Aldo (the guard) was reading "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawkings; Chapter 7 - Black Holes Ain\'t so Black.

exact pages he was reading:

also.. the video from the "Clockwork Orange" scene played backwards contains the following quote:

"Only Fools Are Enslaved by Time and Space"

http://losteastereggs.blogspot.com/2007/02/only-fools-are-enslaved-by-time-and.html

Buddhism reference:

http://www.dharmaweb.org/index.php/Buddhist_Perspective_on_Time_and_Space

"The wise know how to use time and space perfectly; they lead free and harmonious lives. Fools are enslaved by time and space; they are busy running around all day. Wise or foolish, the difference is obvious."

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 02:52:38 pm »
the one thing everyone should be looking forward to tonight...

308 - "Flashes Before Your Eyes"

[spoiler]Kate and Sawyer return to their island. They want to enlist help to go back and rescue Jack. Hurley gets Charlie to help him find out the truth about Desmond, who has been acting differently ever since the hatch exploded. We will see Desmond\'s life before joining the army. We will get a really good sense of what the Others are doing. [/spoiler]

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 11:08:14 pm »
WTF?!
[/b]

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 08:57:04 am »
what an absolute mindfuck last night. i loved it. there\'s MANY ways you can interpret the whole thing with Desmond. personally, i think there truly is time travel happening (building on all the \'time\' stuff from last week), but with the element of fate thrown in there. the ring lady made it very clear that it wouldn\'t matter if she\'d told red-shoe-guy about the scaffolding -- he was going to die anyways. i think this is why Desmond chose to leave Penny - because he realized that it was going to happen anyways.

then again, he\'s at the pub later and decides that he CAN try to change things, but when he does, he gets hit in the head and wakes up back on the island (in the now?).. the fact that he wakes up naked on the island also hints at time travel (see The Terminator)..

still a LOT of questions surrounding Desmond though, like what the HELL was going on in the last scene of season 2...

LOVED the ending. "you\'re gonna die, charlie". eerie!

other interesting stuff from the episode:

Charlie singing \'Wonderwall\' in front of Desmond:

Today is gonna be the day that they\'re gonna throw it back to you
By now you should have somehow realised what you\'ve got to do...
Because maybe, you\'re gonna be the one that saves me

:wah:

the painting on Mr. Widmere\'s wall had a bunch of LOST things in it:

- Namaste spelled backwards
- polar bear
- mountain ranges
- buddah

Sarah McLachlan\'s Building A Mystery was in the background as Desmond was getting ready to meet Penny\'s dad..

also, the paint can... FUTURE?

god i love this show. absolutely the most thought-provoking show on television..

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 09:53:10 am »
Desmond David Hume

"Hume was heavily influenced by...John Locke."

:wah:

and...

"When one event continually follows after another, most people think that a connection between the two events makes the second event follow from the first. Hume challenged this belief in the first book of his Treatise on Human Nature and later in his Enquiry concerning Human Understanding. He noted that although we do perceive the one event following the other, we do not perceive any necessary connection between the two. And according to his skeptical epistemology, we can trust only the knowledge that we acquire from our perceptions. Hume asserted that our idea of causation consists of little more than expectation for certain events to result after other events that precede them. We cannot actually say that one event caused another. All we know for sure is that one event is correlated to another."

and..

"Free will versus determinism

Just about everyone has noticed the apparent conflict between free will and determinism – if your actions were determined to happen billions of years ago, then how can they be up to you? But Hume noted another conflict, one that turned the problem of free will into a full-fledged dilemma: free will is incompatible with indeterminism. Imagine that your actions are not determined by what events came before. Then your actions are, it seems, completely random. Moreover, and most importantly for Hume, they are not determined by your character – your desires, your preferences, your values, etc."

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 09:53:54 am »
namaste is a phrase used all the time in yoga classes. It\'s ancient Sanskrit for hello and goodbye, but there is a much deeper level of acknowledgment in it. You are showing vast respect to an elder or wiser person and being as humble as possible of you\'re position when saying it. Technically it means something like "I bow in reverence to your inner being", It is a very Zen greeting.

from wiki
Sanskrit na reflects a simple negation. Maḥ points to ego, referring "I" and "my". Thus namaḥ means "bow, obeisance, reverential salutation, adoration to your inner truth", but not next to your ego. Te is the dative of the personal pronoun tvam, "you". A literal translation of namaḥ te is thus "reverential salutation to your inner."

It is commonly accompanied by a slight bow made with the hands pressed together, palms touching, in front of the chest.

In a normal context this word is a respectful way of greeting someone. Generally done by younger (or in a hierarchy - underlings) to elders/higher-ups, although, the elders reply back in the same manner.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 09:56:34 am »
paul, you should REALLY start watching this show. it\'s RIGHT up your alley!!

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 10:18:55 am »
I\'m probably the only person here that read both "a brief history of time" and "black holes and baby universes" just because. I can\'t get into it now though, I have to watch it from the begining.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2007, 10:21:53 am »
well yeah, that\'s what i\'m talking about.. it\'d be pointless for you to start from here.

if you wanna borrow the dvds, just say the word.

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 10:24:14 am »
the word.

not for a while though. Too busy at work with college basketball finals. I\'ll take you up on that offer sometime in april though.

Mamalakabubadaya

• http://
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 10:31:36 am »
should i not even bother watching the new episodes yet? i just got into this show recently. my roommate rented all of the seasons on dvd and we have decided to watch every single one lol.. i had no idea the new one was on last night and was actually watching season 2 (i think). then again, i have "fall asleep when too comfortable on a couch syndrome" so i forget where exactly i left off. would i be completely lost if i just started watching the new ones now??

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2007, 10:55:28 am »
Quote from: Mamalakabubadaya;135014
would i be completely lost if i just started watching the new ones now??

yes.

i firmly believe that LOST is a show that you *have* to watch from the beginning. the detail in this show is like no other that i\'ve seen before, and everything is connected.. start from the beginning, and enjoy the ride.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2007, 11:20:52 am »
I Like Desmond, brothA

:)

last night was pretty cool.

When Charlie was playing Wonderwall singing "Are you gonna be the one to save me" pretty cool
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19