Author Topic: Reagan passes away  (Read 5200 times)

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Reagan passes away
« on: June 05, 2004, 07:56:55 pm »
Ronald Reagan passed away today @ 1pm PST. He had been suffering
from Alzheimer\'s Disease for the past 10 years.

No matter the financial shape he left this country in or his failings in the Iran/Contra affair, this man was the epitome of American Strength. He can take credit for the Berlin Wall coming down and the fall of the Soviet Union. He was the first president I really remember vividly as I grew up during his Presidency. I remember his great speeches and the way he kept this country together while facing the Soviet Threat. Anyone old enough to remember Reagan will remember both the Reaganomics that has spawned the current conservative platform AND his part in ending the Cold War and realize he may have not been the best president but he did have the conviction to do what he felt was needed to keep America the Superpower she remains today.

R.I.P. Mr. President and God Bless America
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
Reagan passes away
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 09:54:13 pm »
Phil Hartman used to do the best Regan on SNL.  Hilarious stuff.
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

obsession600

• The Duke Of NY A#1
Reagan passes away
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 12:12:04 am »
I have nothing good to say about Reagan
"I taught them everything they know, but not everything I know."
"The one thing that can solve most of our problems is dancing."
-James Brown

leith

Reagan passes away
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 02:37:34 am »
Originally posted by Stephengencs
Phil Hartman used to do the best Regan on SNL.  Hilarious stuff.

Uuuhh welllllll I uuhh guess you can say he did a pretty good impres... huh? sorry about that didn\'t mean to doze off.
Ser though Phil did a real good impression of alot of people.

tiedyetoga

Reagan passes away
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 10:46:36 am »
It\'s a sad day as a great man has passed away.

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
Reagan passes away
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 10:53:42 am »
I\'m not a huge Reagan supporter or detractor (considering I was born 2 weeks after he was re-elected in 1984).  But I am getting a bit pissed at the "tributes" I\'ve been seeing.  They are still finding a way to show him in the worst possible light.  It\'s somewhat subtle, but if you know your U.S. history you can see that it\'s very skewed and disrespectful to our former President.  I\'ve seen three or four montages, and they all covered his acting career and his love for Nancy (His wife!  Imagine that from a President!) beautifully.  But when it came to his political career, they showed nothing but his speeches about the failing economy and the Iran/Contra affair.  At the very least, we deserve to be hearing the "tear this wall down" speech (his finest as President) over and over.  But CNN and a few others blatantly ommited this speech.  Reagan came off as a terrible president, with only the bad points of his presidency mentioned.

Fuck the media.  It\'s not like Reagan is running for office.  Can\'t people stop being political for fifteen minutes to honor a man who gave eight years of his life as President of our country?
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Reagan passes away
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 11:16:18 am »
I\'m not looking for this to turn into a political thread, but heres mine.

Like many, I grew up knowing him as the president.  Being born in 79 I remeber him being on tv all through my childhood. I liked some of what he did and I didnt like some of what he did (of course being a child you dont always understand the full picture of whats going on).  
I had cnn and cnbc both on at work last night and did hear the tear down this wall speech, although I cant say which one it was that played it. I\'ll say this: that speech took balls to deliver and if things didn\'t go the way they did it would be a joke footnote somewhere that he gave it. I always respected him for getting up IN BERLIN and telling the leader of the country there to change something.

Theres no real superpower the size of us now, but imagine if the european council elected an official, the offical came to washington DC,stood in front of the white house and said that we should ________. (enter anything you can think of that is against american policy).

Regardless of your views though, an american president has passed away and a moment of silence is deserved for that if nothing else.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

bluefunknebula

• F th cops n censorship 2
    • http://www.myspace.com/amplifier_worship
Reagan passes away
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 04:14:31 pm »
Originally posted by Drew_Kingsley
Fuck the media.  It\'s not like Reagan is running for office.  Can\'t people stop being political for fifteen minutes to honor a man who gave eight years of his life as President of our country?

yeah, no shit! plus all the coverage took away from that crazy fucker out in colorado who rampaged in his souped up, armoured bulldozer.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Reagan passes away
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 04:48:27 pm »
Theres no real superpower the size of us now, but imagine if the european council elected an official, the offical came to washington DC,stood in front of the white house and said that we should ________. (enter anything you can think of that is against american policy).

Regardless of your views though, an american president has passed away and a moment of silence is deserved for that if nothing else. [/B]

Sorry to correct you but it isn\'t anything like that. He stood in West Germany and told Mr. Gorbachev to tear down the wall. He was in West Germany (US and Allied control) and was speaking to a man who was in the U.S.S.R. So it would be like someone giving a speech in the Gaza Strip telling the US to get out.

As for the man and his politics you either loved him or hated him. It was his presidency that began the huge rift between the Left and the Right.

As for bringing up the Iran / Contra affair I wish they had done that when the guy was President / alive but they should bring it up. It would be like talking about Nixon and not talking about watergate. To many people it was those actions that defined him and his presidency. And lets not forget the that the Iran contra affair / scandal has a lot to do with what is going on now in the middle East. It was funneling money to the Middle East to fight a War that congress said it couldn\'t.  Selling Weapons to the Iranians (who by the way only a few years earlier held 66 US hostages for over 444 days) and funneled the money to Nicaragua to fuel an illegal War that the congress and People of the United States said it couldn\'t..

Sorry but for many folks my age it was his presidency that made me / us the pessimistic people that we are  when it comes to politics and the government. I am sure the older folks could say that Nixon was the beginning but I was just born when he was President.

I have no problem respecting the office of President I just wish that the people who became President would respect it as well and remember they are there to serve the PEOPLE and not their own selfish interests,  like blow jobs, illegal Wars, fictiuous WMD\'s and intel for a NON-American pre-emptive WAR (what the hell is that any way ?).

Sorry this is long (I am bored at work). Something to remember, a large majority of the folks in the Reagen White House are the Same folks in the current Administration so a lot of the stuff is gonna get rehashed
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

obsession600

• The Duke Of NY A#1
Reagan passes away
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2004, 08:07:13 pm »
Ronald Reagan

Sportscaster (1930s)

B movie actor (1940-1966)

While President of the  Screen Actors Guild (1947-1952), he was a friendly witness to the House  Un-American Activities Committee and was an FBI informant who helped to blacklisted leftist actors in Hollywood.

Host, NBC\'s General  Electric Theater (1950s-1962)

Governor of California  (1966-1974)

President (1981-1989)

Vegetable (1990-2004)
-James Brown

obsession600

• The Duke Of NY A#1
Reagan passes away
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2004, 08:24:44 pm »
Gary Sick details the 1980 "coup" October Surprise._ Sick was the principal White House aide for Iran during the hostage crisis._ His book is based on his years on Carter\'s and Reagan\'s National Security Council staffs, three years of research and hundreds of interviews._

_____ facists began secret dealings with Iran early in 1980 when Reagan\'s future CIA director, William Casey, initiated stealth contact with Iranian intermediaries._ The Reagan-Bush campaign feared that President Carter would make a deal to have the hostages released just before the election._ According to Sick\'s sources, Bill Casey met with high-level Iranians before the election and worked out an agreement to delay the hostage\'s release until after the election.

_____ The facist deal involved funnelling weapons to Iran, and tires for their U.S.-built fighter planes._ The Iranians released the hostages "minutes after Reagan took the oath of office."_ Sick adds that almost immediately after Reagan took office, the flow of arms to Iran greatly increased._

U.S. Navy pilot Captain Gunther Russbacher, who worked with Naval Intelligence and the CIA, says that on Oct. 19, 1980 (three weeks before the election) he flew U.S. officials to Paris to arrange the "October Surprise."_ On board, says Russbacher, were George Bush, William Casey, Robert Gates (Bush\'s future CIA Director) and Donald Gregg (whose CIA work began when Bush was director)._ They met with Hashemi Rafsanjani, the Ayatollah\'s second in command and Adnan Khashoggi, a powerful Saudi Arabian arms dealer. Arrangements were apparently made to give Iran $40 million as a down-payment to delay release of the hostages.

_____ When future Paris meetings, secret payments and arms deals became known, the Iran-Contra scandal began to unravel._ Russbacher, and several CIA operatives, who blew the whistle were subsequently jailed in the U.S.

-The man used American hostages to further his political career. Possibly the most selfish action I can imagine by someone seeking public office.
-James Brown

leith

Reagan passes away
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2004, 12:28:29 am »
All of that is OLD news that you can rehash all you want but you can never get rid of the fact that he was and is a beloved President. Even his enemies liked him.

leith

Reagan passes away
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2004, 02:23:45 am »
I will be the first one to admit though that being Californian I do have a biased view on the man. He had a direct effect on this state as Gov. AND as Pres.
 Many things have been uncovered about his admin. that are despicable but hatred gets you nowhere esp. when the guy is dead already. We are still dealing w/ his legacy good and bad so I figure may as well remember the good since Bush shows us the bad every day.

obsession600

• The Duke Of NY A#1
Reagan passes away
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 09:14:37 am »
Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it. -George Santayana

don\'t get fooled again. -The Who
-James Brown

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
Reagan passes away
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2004, 10:36:41 am »
BLAH BLAH BLAH......the guy has technically been dead for the past 10 years.....whats the big deal?  

FUCK THE FUCKING MEDIA
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph