Author Topic: PB - a retrospective  (Read 4128 times)

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
PB - a retrospective
« on: March 23, 2004, 07:05:11 pm »
Disclaimer - This is a thread about some of my more enjoyable experiences with Psychedelic Breakfast.  If you don\'t care, move onto the next thread.

3/23/04

PB (1999 – 2002) – A Retrospective

I first heard about PB (Note that I use the name PB and not the Breakfast because the last time I saw them, they were Psychedelic Breakfast) was sometime around the first semester of my junior year at Southern Connecticut State University.  This girl in one of my video classes, I think her name was Lauren, but Paul (Ryan) and I always called her GD, kept telling me about this band from East Haven, her home town was starting to play more and that they ripped it up.  The first time I saw the band was at Toad’s Place.  The show was like many in the early days at Toad’s, PB opener, Max Creek headlining.  After the first couple of songs PB played, I forgot that my initial plan that was to try and hook up with GD and I just was mezmorized by the music.  I remember going back to my dorm and telling everyone about them.  After that night, I tried to catch them every time they played at Toad’s.  By this time, I had several failed attempts at playing live music myself.  One of the people that I played with often was Paul (Ryan), who kept telling me about this band that he wanted to do a music video for when he got the chance, I did the same.  Little did we know that we were both talking about the same band.  Paul had a little more of a connection to the band at that point.  He knew Dave P. and Ron from classes at Southern and we eventually met with the band and they liked the idea of someone creating a video for them, for FREE!  At this point I started going to see the band on a more frequent basis; for ideas to help the music video concept and to listen to the music. which was an added benefit.  All I will say about the No Glove, No Love video is that it was a load of fun to make and that is the first time that I had contact with the band and found out that they were not unlike myself.  For those who took part of it, always remember it because it was a time of joy and innocence that no amount of success or timing could re-create.  And for the 4 or 5 of us that were at the taping of the bedroom scene, that was an interesting time as well.  By the way, does anyone know what happened to the banner that Nicki and I hand sewed and Justin and I painted?  It was pretty cheesy.  I don’t remember all of the shows that I went to, but I have several that I remember like it was yesterday.

The Fongoulish Freakout was always an interesting time.  The first Fongoulish Freakout was as interesting a night as I can remember.  I started out in a toga, which almost made it to me being a streaker.  Thank you Paul and Nicki for making me keep my bottom on.  I remember drinking from Eyor’s Southern Comfort jug and a balloon fight.  I remember Nicki peeing on my foot and Reagan being annoying as usual.  And finally I remember both Paul and Nicki dragging me out because I wanted to start a fight with some guy who was wearing a wolf skin hat or something like that.  Mostly I remember that the music was amaizing even though we missed the 3rd set.  The second FF, I attended as a pregnant nun and my date was ski patrol Barbi.  I ended up drunk as usual and grooving pretty hard core until some Asshole had to ruin the night by attacking one of the guys who ran the hall.  The 3rd FF, I was dressed as a pimp and like the first FF, I ended up drunk and ¾ naked by the end of the show.  The 4th FF, I got stuck at work and was unable to attend.  

The Butterfield days were something special as well.  Between the April fools YEM, to the 420 Wrestlemania Challenge in which an overweight Hulk Hogan made an appearance to the Quadfest in which the Dark Lord Sith, Darth Vader, showed up.  The experience was always two part.  The music was central to the experience and made or broke the night, but the people took it to another level.  The people of Butterfield were always happy to give and were always ready for a good time.  Thanks everyone.

At the time I was living in New Haven which was a prime locations since PB rarely played outside of that 10 mile radius.   I saw the band a lot and unfortunately I don’t remember all of the shows and to go back through the setlists to create my experience would create a false representation.  Through a pizza for hockey proposition, I became friends with Dave and Lisa.  Little did I know that this would propel me from an average PB fan, to a fanatic who went to see the band every chance I could get and at any distance we could drive.  So many experience, I can’t even describe them  For the next two years, PB was my home and my family.  I knew what I was doing every Friday-Sunday and sometimes during the week.  

I think that along the way, there was only one person that I found more annoying than a Barney marathon on every channel or a jukebox that only played Um Bob, and that was JP.  I know that he meant well, but he just wouldn’t shut up about the Brothers and Sisters and he could never quite pronounce the band’s name right, it was always Psychedelic Breafast. I was wrong, I also hated the Jaw (enough said there).

Two of the most joyful experiences I had were when I was able to see PB in NJ.  The first was at the Stanhope House.  We drove down from CT during the Summer after work and got there a little more than an hour before the show.  What a rich history that place has, but what a dump and what a bunch of rednecks.  The show was great.  The other time in NJ was in Teaneck at Mexicali Blues.  My parents and brother came out for this show.  A big thanks to the band for letting me sing Born in the USA for the Jersey crowd.  I guess I can understand now why all the Stavenites loved to see the band at Short Beach Saloon or the Reef or the Blues Cafe.  

Another day that I remember was the last 420 up in Mass.  The Costume of Bluntman and Chronic was planned.  Of course I play the Silent Fat One and Dave played Jay.  I don’t ever remember getting that sort of attention for any of the other costumes that I wore previously.  Maybe it was the sock in my pants, no wait that was for the Werstlmania show.  That night after an embarrassing dinner, long story short – I had a chance with the waitress and blew it, we moved onto the Springdale Turner Hall (???) where the dinamic duo sang Because I Got High, with the band.  This was one of my last great experiences with the band.  I know that I had this show, but if someone can send me a copy of that, I’d be much abliged.  While, I’m begging for shows, if anyone has a copy of the Americana Diesel show, that’d be great as well.

In May of 2002, I met my future fiance at ski patrol Barbi’s wedding.  Things took a turn for the better and we plan to be married this summer.  My last show and my fiance’s first show was at Tobacco Road on the night of September 13th 2002.  I had to leave the show early because my grandmother had had a heart attack earlier in the day and we wanted to get back to see her.  I didn’t know that it would be too late.  She passed away sometime right before we left the show.  But thanks to the guys for the Surfin Bird that night.    

Thanks to the band for all the good times.  It was a great ride while it lasted.  A special thanks to Dave and Lisa for taking me in like I was a member of their family and all the good times.  And thanks to all of the people I met along the way; Paul, Nicki, Freddie, Jut, Wolf, Todd (CTT means close talking Todd), Stevie G., Frankenstein (Jeff), Marcial, Al Z, Teddy, Chris P, the Mass. Crew and anyone else that I forgot to mention by name thank you.  Everyone made those 3+ years some of the happiest of my young life.  I probably won’t be to many more shows as I’m in a different place in my life right now, buying a house hopefully by the end of April, except maybe a random appearance when the band plays in Jersey.  Anyone who wants to stay in contact with me, my number is (201)953-9718 and my e-mail is rydb@aol.com  

“Goodbye all you people, there’s nothing you can say to make me change my mind goodbye”
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
PB - a retrospective
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 07:12:29 pm »
See you soon Darth Bluntman Hogan!  :vader: :vader: :vader: Hope you make it to some more shows.  Springsteen is your bitch, you should teach him how to sing Born in the USA!  May the shark be with you.

tiedyetoga

PB - a retrospective
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 09:24:44 am »
Giving up music and the band for what??? To sit on your ass at your house and live the married life? Rock-n-Roll never dies nore should the people that enjoy it!!!! Congrats on being engaged and buying a house, never loose touch with music though. The key is to find a way to make money doing what you enjoy. As long as you are happy thats good to know!! Take care and enjoy life.

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
PB - a retrospective
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 10:37:20 am »
ryan,yo uhave to understand,having a relationship,shoulnt prohibit you from enjoying other things too!!!look at me,im living proof baby!!
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
    • http://
PB - a retrospective
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 11:41:09 am »
It is all about setting proper expectations......

why do most people not see this?????
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

tiedyetoga

PB - a retrospective
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 11:51:12 am »
Originally posted by freddiewaht
ryan,yo uhave to understand,having a relationship,shoulnt prohibit you from enjoying other things too!!!look at me,im living proof baby!!

You be da man Fred... You have to keep them in check.

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
PB - a retrospective
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 12:21:27 pm »
ha,well thats not exactly what i meant grayson.i meant,you should be totally able to juggle time between your significant other(s),and going out and partying,and going to rock and roll shows..if yo uwere lucky,youd be able to kill 2 birds with one stone,but thats not happenin i guess

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
PB - a retrospective
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 01:31:11 pm »
"WaccPusshhh" The sound of the whip crackin....
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela

tiedyetoga

PB - a retrospective
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 01:31:18 pm »
I agree man.. I made a choice and I chose music... It would be nice to have both, but now isn\'t the time.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
PB - a retrospective
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 01:41:00 pm »
the point Wah is making, is that there shouldn\'t be a need to make a choice.......  There is something called comprimise that, when in a relationship, you need to do.  but relationships are give and take....and I know not of RyDb\'s situation, but it seems that his woman is all take and no give, unless Ry, is just using it as an excuse because he just doesn\'t want to hang out.....

either way...."WaccPusshhh"

tiedyetoga

PB - a retrospective
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 02:51:02 pm »
I agree no choice, but sometimes you have to walk away in order to succeed.

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
PB - a retrospective
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 02:55:20 pm »
Its tough...  For me its all about "waiting for a time when I can finally say, this has all been wonderful, but now I\'m on my way"....

and I haven\'t come across that time yet.....

Good Luck RyDb and may the force be with you....

Marcial

• Big Wooly Mammoth
    • http://www.chondrolicious.com
PB - a retrospective
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 07:56:38 pm »
balance is the key, my man... I mean, look at me... I\'m getting married in less than a month, and my fiance had no problems w/ me going on tour for a week, and having 6 sweaty dudes crashing at the house for a few days.  you better set a precedent now before it\'s too late...
Switching peeping observing and licking
No telling next day what I be thinking

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
PB - a retrospective
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 08:30:39 pm »
honestly fellas, let the kid be, if this is what he wants let him do it. all this is probably just making him more pissed off, heh. let him be, he\'ll come back for breakfast sooner or later. but don\'t get me wrong, I agree with ya\'all, but it\'s his decision, not anyone elses. freddie, you have a unique thing going, I envy you, heh, not sure how ya pull it off. Marcial, dont know ya, but seems like you have a unique thing going to. Not everyone can have such luck.
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
PB - a retrospective
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2004, 09:40:24 pm »
deja vu deja vu