Author Topic: Setlist: 2005-08-26 - Sully\'s; Hartford, CT  (Read 8227 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Setlist: 2005-08-26 - Sully\'s; Hartford, CT
« on: August 27, 2005, 03:35:31 am »
I: LDZ > jam > Sleeping Beauty, jam > Sundance, jam > Cosmic Spaceway Rhyme > I\'m The Slime > Cosmic Spaceway Rhyme, The Vermont Song, Inner Glimpse, Spunk* > Lit** > Spunk

II: Jive Talkin\'^ > See The Light > Fairy, Beef Barley > The Grand Scheme Of Things^^ > Southern Man > Question Mark And The Mind > The Grand Scheme Of Things

E: Score

* with Ron and Adrian trading licks.
** with \'Star Wars (Empire)\' teases.
^ Bee Gees cover; first time played.
^^ with extended drum intro.

DOWNLOAD THIS SHOW HERE

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 03:37:39 am »
Best Vermont Song Ever. It wasn\'t a campfire tune. It was sonic insanity.

oldnewbie

• it\'s recreational...
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 03:37:48 am »
why were ron and adrian licking each other?

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 03:56:10 am »
Jive Talkin\' and Sundance? FUCK!!! I love those songs. Well @ least Jive Talkin\' is in the setlist now. Scheme! Nice.
Thanx Dave for the setlist.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 04:15:06 am »
Awesome show!  Lots of SFO going on.  (That would be Ser Face Ownage!)  Sundance proved once again why it is my favorite Breakfast song.  Underrated, underplayed, underappreciated, yada yada.  Incredible song.  Nice to see Spunk coming back too.  Huge sandwiches in set 1, Cosmic Spaceway Slime and Split.  The quality of these sandwiches was right up there with John and Maria\'s eggplant parm.  Overall a sweet show, see you tomorrow!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 04:27:13 am by Wolfman »

crimsonknuckles

• makes geniuses disappear!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 10:18:13 am »
spunk>lit>spunk! sick shit!
" Let\'s go Islanders!!!!!!! "
" A festive mood is all around, Another world is what we found "
" Brewin\' funk inside my soul kitchen so pullup a chair here\'s a bit have a listen "

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 10:41:00 am »
the \'jams into\' were great, and three of them in a row in the first set was something else.. Cosmic > Slime > Cosmic was GREAT, and it amazes me that they actually stopped playing CSR for a long time because they thought no one would miss it. well, i noticed people getting down exceptionally hard last night, and with the added \'jam into\' and meat in the middle, this was one of the better versions i\'ve ever heard.

as pitchie mentioned, VT song was indeed very good for being, well, The Vermont Song.. Spunk > Lit > Spunk was off the hook. not only was ronnie\'s bass solo much longer than usual, but he and adrian trading licks immediately following it was stupendous.

great first set. we\'ll give it an 8.

there was a lot of \'new song\' talk in the air last night - which was ixnayed for one reason or the other, but they did a good job keeping the Jive Talkin\' secret. finally, 10 months after the RR release disc comes out, we get a live JT. it was good to hear, but i don\'t think it added much to the show.

original STL was hot, as was the segue into a great Fairy. yet ANOTHER amazing Beef - to think that BB used to mean Bathroom Break for me! those days are LONG over, and the anticipation of where they\'re gonna take it at the end of the song is great. wonderful version.

ahh, the scheme. adrian took a mini-solo in the beginning, extending his intro out quite a bit. while i like the idea of a split scheme, i didn\'t like this one. Southern Man doesn\'t do anything for me - maybe it needs to grow on me.. and while i love \'?\', i didn\'t like the placement here. really brought the energy level down a LOT, and actually cleared out quite a bit of the room.. they were back for the end of the scheme though, and the score encore was rockin\'.

set 2/e gets a 6.

good show - WTFL (way too fucking loud)... my ears are still ringing.. looking forward to tonight.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 11:00:16 am »
gotta agree, great show, wtfl, the only thing I can add:  I\'m starting to see a confidence in the bands playing that I\'ve never seen before.  And I like it.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 11:22:31 am »
I gotta agree with Dave on several points.  First of all, I\'ve been saying this for a long time and it still holds true, "jam > x" is one of their best songs.  They establish a mood SO well and quite quickly in these jams.  It\'s like an airplane gathering speed as it goes down the runway for takeoff.  Then they takeoff into the first song.  The way they build up into it has a very natural, feng-shuey quality to it.  They could open every set with jam > x as far as I\'m concerned.  And speaking of set openers, Jive Talkin\'...eh.  Jive Talkin is cute and I can see it working around the halfway point of a set, but not as an opener.  Now that the debut is out of the way, there should be a rule that they have to play Miles Beyond and King Kong again before Jive Talkin\'.  Finally, on wegwiches, the Cosmic Spaceway Slime and Split in the first set were awesome.  Nobody segues like these guys, and the scary part is that they\'ve been masters of the segue since day 1.  It\'s funny...you look at a setlist, you see a bunch of songs you like, and you figure it was a good show, but the best parts of the setlist are really ">" and "jam >".  I didn\'t think the Scheme wegwich worked last night.  I don\'t think you can do that to Scheme.  Did Phish ever play YEM > x > YEM?  No.  Don\'t fuck with Scheme.  I really don\'t care though, I\'m glad they\'re out there experimenting with crazy wegwiches, that\'s what it\'s all about.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  See you tonight!

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 11:53:22 am »
Not a bad show.

A lot of jamming.

Good setlist structure.

Agree with Pitchie, best VT Song I have heard, I am not a huge fan of this tune.
Was this the first Southern Man electric?

Beef Barley has become a fericous jamming machine. Always liked the tune for some reason, love it more now.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

gdradio

• http://www.gdradio.net
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2005, 12:16:14 pm »
i agree with all

my ears are killing me

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2005, 12:44:27 pm »
\'jam>sleeping beauty\' was a turning point in the set for me, although LDZ is a great way to start things up, i was floored by the fact that they are just \'jamming\'. it just seems too good sometimes. they can peak and control jams so well that u get taken away and forget who youre seeing and where you are.
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2005, 12:48:38 pm »
i say shelf jive talkin.
it does nothing for me..
bust out with some honey butter!!!!
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2005, 01:39:53 pm »
Tim produced a scorchingly screech solo in the middle of the Vermont Song, not at all the common fare for this number. Ron, Adrian, and Jordan followed suit by playing with vigor you\'d expect for a second-set heavyweight and the return to the chours seemed like it was at double speed.

I liked the first set better last night. In their first show after the legendary Puppet House, the Breakfast responded with unique and versatile selections that were executed flawlessly. Everyone is noting the sandwiches and you\'d be a silly fuck not to. The crowd ate them up, so to speak. It was great to hear Slime return and I would not have thought between Cosmic as a good place to put it. That\'s why I\'m not a musician. The jam before Sleeping Beauty definitely revved everyone and the double-portion sandwich order clinched the set as ultimate. The instrumental opening of Lit was played differently, with a more upbeat tempo based around the drums.

Jive Talkin\' is clean fun. Not a great song, but it got hips swaying. Nobody could quibble with See the Light played again in its larva stage. Beef was not a textbook set warmer-upper like at the Puppet House (it was also the lone repeat from those two shows). The ending jam section weaved in and out of several areas while maintaining the funk and hip swayage.

I loved the Scheme sandwich. It would have been easy to take the straight-and-narrow path after the experimental first set, but it was a night for risk-taking. Everyone rocked to Southern Man, especially when it got heavy-metalish at the end (my lone qualm is that the piano, which is the primary instrument in the song, gets lost in the shuffle admidst the decibal level). Everyone did indeed take several steps back during ? but I thought it revitalized most people for the Scheme closer and Score encore, which both ripped and contained as high an energy level as was felt during the entire performance. If you haven\'t stood directly next to Adrian during the end of Scheme, give it a shot. Then by a new set of ear drums on ebay.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2005, 02:05:20 pm »
tims Vermont Song solo was definitely one of the more abstract solos i\'ve ever seen him do.