Author Topic: The \'07-\'08 NBA Thread  (Read 25594 times)

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
The \'07-\'08 NBA Thread
« Reply #285 on: June 18, 2008, 12:20:43 am »
Quote from: davepeck;193375
enormous disappointment.

I\'ll say.  What was this, Red Sox v. Rockies?  Bring on a real opponent!  Geez, at least make us earn it.

Well, this will be quick since I\'m just ducking back into the house to hit the head and post before heading back out for a drink w/ mcajam.  Just want to say it was a great season and a great night tonight at the White Horse in Allston, partying throughout the second half.  Thanks to all my Celtics friends for being there this year and in the years before, especially the 5 games we went to...last year.  I can\'t believe we got here in one year.  To leith, hey, the Chargers suck and are owned by the Pats, the Lakers suck and are owned by the Celtics, the Padres just plain suck, and most of all, you are the man.  

Don\'t forget, you heard it here first folks!

Quote from: Wolfman in October;159534

Look out world, here come the Celtics!  

I\'m giddy because tix went on sale yesterday and I got pairs to see the mighty Celtics against the Suns, Spurs, Nuggets, and Bulls.  Championship #17, here we come!

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
The \'07-\'08 NBA Thread
« Reply #286 on: June 18, 2008, 12:50:38 am »
GREEN 17 !!!  by almost 40????  only the 2  best teams make it here, but god damn it feels good to get my first celtics title by the celts, esp. after being born a year after their last ring.  it was great to see such a classic reunion, but holy bananas it feels even greater to win.  this one is for kevin, ray and above all paul.  GREEN 17 WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOO!!
*Gia*

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
The \'07-\'08 NBA Thread
« Reply #287 on: June 18, 2008, 01:48:02 am »
Quote from: Wolfman;193378
[  To leith, hey, the Chargers suck and are owned by the Pats, the Lakers suck and are owned by the Celtics, the Padres just plain suck, and most of all, you are the man.  

Laker fans had such a great year as we started the year wondering just where this team would be at this time and any Laker fan that says they would not have taken this result at the beginning of the year is a liar.
We watched the development of one of the best benches in the league and this team transformed into the type of Laker team we can all be proud of.

Laker fans have so much to look forward to with a full year with Gasol and Bynum coming back. Kobe has changed his game to become the leader we have been waiting for him to develop into and we still have the best coach there ever was.

It may not seem like it at this moment but it is a great time to be a Laker fan.

"Since 1960, the Lakers have finished under .500 only seven times. In comparison, the Yankees, the most famous winner in American sports, have gone under .500 10 times since 1960 and the Boston Celtics, though they won an amazing 11 championships in the 13 seasons from 1956-1969, have dipped below the mediocrity line 14 times since 1970."

This article did nothing to assuage the pain I feel. Except for this line:
"The simple truth is that regardless of the outcome of tonight\'s game, as the Lakers go, so goes the NBA."

In that line stands the reason I take this loss easier than a fan of the celts if they had lost. The NBA is The Lakers and one just has to look at the NBA Logo to see it.

Congratulations to the Boston Celtics and their fans. Enjoy it while you can but do not for a moment think this means the celtics have returned to prominence.

Enjoy this year Seth you will never experience another like it in your life.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
The \'07-\'08 NBA Thread
« Reply #288 on: June 18, 2008, 02:35:11 am »
the RAGE OF VASSILLIOS COMES OUT ON THIS THREAD!!!!!!! FUCK LA, BOSTON RULEZZZ!!!!
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
The \'07-\'08 NBA Thread
« Reply #289 on: June 18, 2008, 09:08:19 am »
I\'ll say.  What was this, Red Sox v. Rockies?  Bring on a real opponent!  Geez, at least make us earn it.

Now, I don\'t ever want to hear a Boston fan, whether it be a Red Sox, Patriot or Celtic fan talk about a Yankee fan being cocky when we talk about our 26 World Championships.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

ChrisPitch

• Hell of a Life
    • http://
The \'07-\'08 NBA Thread
« Reply #290 on: June 18, 2008, 09:26:22 am »
Offense won the Western Conference title, but defense wins championships and the Celtics schooled the Lakers in that area, among others. All series long, they were more physical, they hit more open threes, Garnett stifled Gasol, and perhaps most frustrating, Pierce outplayed Kobe. Furthermore, you don\'t win an NBA title when you blow a 24-point lead at home in a game that could have tied the series.

No doubt, still a solid season and a stepping stone for the Lakers, but such an excruciating way to see it end, being embarrassed on the home floor of their old rival. Yet something tells me that this series was merely the first chapter of the renewal of this rivalry. The Lakers need Bynum to come back strong and to add a backup power/small forward who can bring physicality on the defensive end.

Congratulations Celtics. Go Lakers!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:14:46 am by ChrisPitch »

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
The \'07-\'08 NBA Thread
« Reply #291 on: June 18, 2008, 11:42:27 am »
Quote from: leith;193392
[  To leith, hey, the Chargers suck and are owned by the Pats, the Lakers suck and are owned by the Celtics, the Padres just plain suck, and most of all, you are the man.  

Laker fans had such a great year as we started the year wondering just where this team would be at this time and any Laker fan that says they would not have taken this result at the beginning of the year is a liar.
We watched the development of one of the best benches in the league and this team transformed into the type of Laker team we can all be proud of.

Laker fans have so much to look forward to with a full year with Gasol and Bynum coming back. Kobe has changed his game to become the leader we have been waiting for him to develop into and we still have the best coach there ever was.

It may not seem like it at this moment but it is a great time to be a Laker fan.

"Since 1960, the Lakers have finished under .500 only seven times. In comparison, the Yankees, the most famous winner in American sports, have gone under .500 10 times since 1960 and the Boston Celtics, though they won an amazing 11 championships in the 13 seasons from 1956-1969, have dipped below the mediocrity line 14 times since 1970."

This article did nothing to assuage the pain I feel. Except for this line:
"The simple truth is that regardless of the outcome of tonight\'s game, as the Lakers go, so goes the NBA."

In that line stands the reason I take this loss easier than a fan of the celts if they had lost. The NBA is The Lakers and one just has to look at the NBA Logo to see it.

Congratulations to the Boston Celtics and their fans. Enjoy it while you can but do not for a moment think this means the celtics have returned to prominence.

I don\'t know about all that.

The Lakers gave up last night somewhere in the 2nd Quarter. They looked like they had nothing left in the tank. Odom was the only player that looked like he was even trying in the 2nd half. It was embarrassing to watch Pro athletes go through the motions. With the way this series has gone with large leads being overcome you would think the Lakers would have shown some effort last night. It was almost tragic to watch. It wouldn\'t be so bad if the effort was there but they simply stopped playing. What ever happened to leaving it all on the court. They should have been exhausted from trying to come back at all costs. No hustle , very little emotion it was pretty pathetic.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
The \'07-\'08 NBA Thread
« Reply #292 on: June 18, 2008, 12:38:20 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;193407

Now, I don\'t ever want to hear a Boston fan, whether it be a Red Sox, Patriot or Celtic fan talk about a Yankee fan being cocky when we talk about our 26 World Championships.

Because of one comment made by Seth? Really?

So he speaks for all of us?
Masturbation in the MFA

Wolfman

The \'07-\'08 NBA Thread
« Reply #293 on: June 18, 2008, 12:57:45 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn;193462
Quote from: Yoda;193407

Because of one comment made by Seth? Really?

So he speaks for all of us?

I know, right?  Red Sox and Celtics fans encompass a wide range of people from many backgrounds with many different opinions.  Nobody can possibly speak for all of them.  To take any one Red Sox or Celtics fan\'s opinion as the definitive word from the entire nation is just plain silly.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
The \'07-\'08 NBA Thread
« Reply #294 on: June 18, 2008, 01:03:18 pm »
Seriously, I felt the need to comment because I\'m tired of Boston fans thinking their shit don\'t stink when it comes to bragging about sports - it\'s not just Wolf, but he gave me the perfect ammo to comment on.  

- Patriot fans have been talking shit to NY fans for years now.  At least the Giant fans are lucky enough to fight back with something; me, I wasn\'t even a thought when the Jets won it all.

- Red Sox fans are riding it high because they\'ve won two World Series in the past 40+ years

- I could care less about the NBA, but it\'s just another thing to add to the success of Boston sports this year.  I\'m actually happy for Piece seeing as he\'s a KU alumni.

- Bruins fans really haven\'t had much to cheer about in recent history.

The truth of the matter is this, Boston fans should be proud of their teams and should gloat their victories, but let\'s not revert back to the old "that\'s a typical Yankee fan comment" when a Yankee fan defends their team.  

So in closing, as a city, collectively enjoy you 32 championships and I\'ll enjoy my 26 with the Yankees, the 3 with the Devils and the 1 with the Jets.  I can only hope that I live to see the day that the Jets win the SB.  I\'ll continue to enjoy my teams whether they win or lose.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Wolfman

The \'07-\'08 NBA Thread
« Reply #295 on: June 18, 2008, 01:13:52 pm »
Quote from: leith;193392

Thanks leith, you\'re right about that...and you and everyone else will never have a year like this, ever!  rotfl

CELTICS RULE!!!  I called banner #17 in post #1 of this thread!  Yaaaaaaa!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 01:13:52 pm by Wolfman »

Wolfman

The \'07-\'08 NBA Thread
« Reply #296 on: June 19, 2008, 11:26:06 am »

Babes love parades!  

Live stream of parade going on now!
http://www.cnn.com/video/live/live.html?stream=stream4

Oh glorious day!  Another parade in Boston!

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
The \'07-\'08 NBA Thread
« Reply #297 on: June 19, 2008, 11:54:43 am »
Quote from: Wolfman;193467
CELTICS RULE!!!  I called banner #17 in post #1 of this thread!  Yaaaaaaa!

While the Celtics winning it all wasn\'t guaranteed before the season started, that certainly was not a particularly bold prediction... just saying. Now had you picked the Giants in the NFL thread last August, that would have been something to brag about.

It\'s also notable that 6/17/1986 was the date that the Celtics drafted Len Bias. 22 years to the day later, demons have officially been purged (credit: Bill "My Column Should Not Be Nationally Published Since It\'s Always About Boston Sports" Simmons).
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
The \'07-\'08 NBA Thread
« Reply #298 on: June 19, 2008, 12:03:26 pm »
whodat?!

Hooray Celtics!
Hooray Boston, the greatest sports city of the 21st century!!!
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

tyzack

• http://
The \'07-\'08 NBA Thread
« Reply #299 on: June 19, 2008, 12:04:35 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;193466
- Bruins fans really haven\'t had much to cheer about in recent history.

I\'m cheering that you felt kind enough to mention the Bruins, a good number of people in this town don\'t.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.