Author Topic: 4 chances this weekend to catch TLG in the NE  (Read 1812 times)

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
4 chances this weekend to catch TLG in the NE
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2006, 01:07:57 pm »
might check them out tomorrow. good possibility.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2006, 01:15:32 pm »
Quote from: Spacey
might check them out tomorrow. good possibility.

Do it
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2006, 01:28:56 pm »
Quote from: leith
Quote from: Gfunk
went down to the stone church last night but i didn\'t have tickets and the show was sold out. it didn\'t even seem like there were as many people there as there was for the breakfast. maybe everyone got there tics ahead of time and just hadn\'t shown up yet. anyways i wasn\'t that bummed, it wasw just TLG ;).

Yeah well see when I mention that they are selling venues out, I was not just bullshitting. You see TLG fans understand the importance of buying tix ahead of time. Sorry you got shut out I am sure the show rocked.

Yeah it\'s kinda funny we wouldn\'t have had any problems if i had just listened to ya. thats the thread i was talkin shit in too lol. but still, it wasn\'t that big a deal, it\'s not like i missed the breakfast.
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

leith

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2006, 01:55:05 pm »
Quote from: leith
went down to the stone church last night but i didn\'t have tickets and the show was sold out. it didn\'t even seem like there were as many people there as there was for the breakfast. maybe everyone got there tics ahead of time and just hadn\'t shown up yet. anyways i wasn\'t that bummed, it wasw just TLG ;).

Yeah well see when I mention that they are selling venues out, I was not just bullshitting. You see TLG fans understand the importance of buying tix ahead of time. Sorry you got shut out I am sure the show rocked.

Yeah it\'s kinda funny we wouldn\'t have had any problems if i had just listened to ya. thats the thread i was talkin shit in too lol. but still, it wasn\'t that big a deal, it\'s not like i missed the breakfast.

lol yeah but you never have to worry about getting shut out of a Breakfast show so I can understand the mentality you had pertaining to getting tix.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2006, 03:43:59 pm »
I went to the show Thursday night in Boston at The Paradise.  They\'re not bad.  They\'re not particularly good.  They opened with "Taught To Be Proud" which I have heard several times on Sirius and is a classic cheesy corny tra-la-la heady song that lots of kids will eat up.  I suppose a TLG fan could say the same about Beef Barley or The Vermont Song though, so what can ya do?  Gotta have those in there I guess.  Over the course of the show they played the same exact Doorsy keyboard-led jam 5 or 6 times.  They do this because the keyboard player is the only one in the band with anything noteworthy to offer, so I don\'t blame the rest of the band for hiding behind him. Their best moments are pretty good and usually lasted about 3-4 minutes, sandwiched on either side by 15 minutes of mediocre to slightly better than average playing.  

TLG jams top out where Breakfast jams start.  No joke.  TLG have a very vanilla/safe/predictable jamming style.  Not saying that\'s a good thing or bad thing.  It\'s not my personal preference but I know tons of people enjoy that so if that\'s your bag, definitely go check \'em out cause they\'re obviously good at that sort of thing.  And hey, can ya blame them?  I think they could rock a lot harder if they chose to, but that\'s not what sells.  Look at the Breakfast.  The Breakfast go out and try to rip people\'s minds apart and blow the doors off the building every night.  Most people can\'t take it.  It\'s just too much.  Crowds routinely diminish during second set at Breakfast shows.  In today\'s jam world, light and fluffy far outsells hard and complex.  How else do you explain how Tea Leaf Green plays The Paradise for 250 people at $12 while The Breakfast play the Middle East for 100 people at $8 when The Breakfast have played over 300 more shows than TLG, over 500 more shows in New England than TLG, and about a dozen more shows in Boston than TLG?  Props to TLG for doing so well for themselves.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 08:06:28 pm by Wolfman »

leith

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2006, 04:18:28 pm »
Wow someone that understands what TLG is doing.

Yes their jams do top off where the Breakfast just get going. I have always said The Breakfast\'s style is an acquired taste and is just too much for some people. The Breakfast focus on the jam and TLG focus on the song.
Two entirely different ways to approach a show.
Yes The Breakfast overall are much better musicians but TLG are no slouches either.
They can hold their own and do so as a band.
Trevor may be the most talented but to say the rest of the band has nothing to offer is just ridiculous.

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2006, 04:38:36 pm »
leith,do me a favor,take tea leaf green and stick them up your ass sideways...
thanks in advance,
f.ferrara
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

leith

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2006, 04:49:56 pm »
Quote from: freddiewaht
leith,do me a favor,take tea leaf green and stick them up your ass sideways...
thanks in advance,
f.ferrara

Why do you bother? Really? You don\'t like them I get it.
What? The drugs you offered them were not good enough?
 Did they offer you a Sierra Nevada? What is it ?

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2006, 08:14:28 pm »
It\'s funny...I don\'t particularly enjoy their music due to personal preference but I have a lot of respect for them.  They are smart enough to know both what the people want AND know how to shape their product to meet those demands.  That\'s solid business fundamentals in any industry.  And, I might add, particularly difficult to pull off in any discipline of professional art, especially music.

obsession600

• The Duke Of NY A#1
    • http://
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2006, 09:23:21 pm »
I caught the two shows at the Knitting Factory and agree with Wolfman for the most part. The keyboard/vocalist was good but after a couple of songs his vocal style gets annoying and his "stand up and lean on the mic and sing it real soulful like" stage demeanor feels affected and shallow. At some point during the second set of the second night the guitarist stepped forward and ran the show for a while. He did not blow me away but it was like a breath of fresh air.

On a side-note, both the Thursday and Friday night shows sold out. The band played two sets each night. Thursday they started at 10 pm and went until a little after 1 am. The place was packed until a little after 12 when people started to filter out. At the end there was still a healthy crowd.
Friday the band went on at 11 pm and played until 3 am. The place started out full. At setbreak a couple of dozen people left. By 2 am the crowd was about half its original size. When the encore was finished the crowd was still respectable but nowhere near what it had been.
*now think about the hurdle that the Breakfast have to clear to get non-fans to go to a show that starts at midnight (or later)*

Each night had a large contingent of girls. This is a definite positive and I encourage all women to come see the Breakfast. Both nights though it seemed to be a catalyst for the shows becoming more of a social scene than a concert. Girls talk to girls, guys talk to girls, guys talk to guys about talking to girls. As a result any portion of a song when someone wasn\'t singing turned into a full audience conversation. Many times it felt like people came to the show just because this is the new hip band to be seen seeing.

Both nights I spent setbreak chatting with different folks about the Breakfast. A couple of people knew the band and wished, as I did, that they were playing instead. I could have passed out a lot of handbills if there was a NYC show scheduled sometime soon. I regret not getting my act together and bringing along some sampler disks.
"I taught them everything they know, but not everything I know."
"The one thing that can solve most of our problems is dancing."
-James Brown

delfunk1

• South Shore BreakfastHead
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2006, 01:48:08 am »
Yes more women to see PB would be spectacular!....but hey if not, my face wil still be owned!
This isn\'t who it would be if it wasn\'t who it is.

"Part of me suspects that I\'m a loser, and the other part of me thinks I\'m God Almighty. " -John Lennon

Stephengencs

• Road Runner Baby
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2006, 02:14:40 pm »
Richters > Toads tonight......anyone in????????
I stepped into a nightmare. Noticed you were right there. - Doozer
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Mandela
Your Mom\'s a whore. - Broseph

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2006, 04:49:51 pm »
^^I wish have a good time steve, counting down the day till Daniel St........

btw: hope your back doen\'t hurt after sleeping in that chair fri night
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2006, 07:43:29 pm »
I figured I\'d check these bitches out in NE, since I\'ll prolly never see them on the W. coast... see whoever\'s going there ;)
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]