Author Topic: What is a REAL Fan?  (Read 6266 times)

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
What is a REAL Fan?
« on: April 01, 2009, 08:55:05 am »
On several occasions it has been stated that I am not a "real" fan of TB and I wanted to get a sense of what everyone\'s definition of a real fan is....

Merriam-Webster defines fan as...

Main Entry: 3fan
Function: noun
Etymology: probably short for fanatic
Date: 1682
1 : an enthusiastic devotee (as of a sport or a performing art) usually as a spectator
2 : an ardent admirer or enthusiast (as of a celebrity or a pursuit)

That led me to see what Webster said about fanatic...

Main Entry: fa·nat·ic  
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin fanaticus inspired by a deity, frenzied, from fanum temple — more at feast
Date: 1550
: marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion

I found this on http://mygnrforum.com/ and thought that it was interesting...

"Fans are people who just like the music for whatever reason. Real fans are fans of the actual person and band who produces the music "

"In my opinion a real fan loves the band no matter what happens."

"A real fan grows a mullet gets AFD tattoo on his forehead and still thinks it\'s 1986. " - okay that doesn\'t fit, but I thought it was funny as shit...

This was something that I found on backstreets.com; a Springsteen fan site...

"I\'ve seen over 100 shows in 5 short years but I still don\'t think of myself as any more \'real\' or \'worthy\' than people who don\'t use Springsteen message boards or who haven\'t seen a show.

Some of the coolest moments at shows have been meeting people in the line who have never been before, and making the front together and living that experience of seeing the band over for the first time.

Caring about music is something you feel in your heart, that can\'t be measured or explained. I think thats what makes a real fan."

What do you all think?  I don\'t think that there are levels of fans or real or fake fans, just fans of The Breakfast.  When I say that I am a fan of The Breakfast, that means that I\'m a fan of The Breakfast and support them however I can, whether be going to whatever shows I can, buying an album or just coming on this site and showing my support or expressing my opinions.  I\'ve seen my fair share of shows, and if I compare current events to stuff that\'s happened before 2002, that\'s because except for 2 shows recently, that is my Breakfast experience.  If that makes me any less of a fan, well then screw you.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
What is a REAL Fan?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 08:58:43 am »
jesus, dude. you\'re a real fan. is that what you need to hear? can you stop posting about yourself every hour now?
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
What is a REAL Fan?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:13:08 am »
This isn\'t about me... I\'ve seen the phrase thrown around and wanted to know what everyone else\'s opinion was... Nothing more, nothing less...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

ellis-d

• Visual Enhancer
What is a REAL Fan?
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 09:43:56 am »
"an enthusiadtic devotee, ususlly as a SPECTATOR" you answered your own question genius. Time to move on.
The lights from Ellis showed a mischevious sparkle
That flashed in his hollowed eye stare...

peaches626

What is a REAL Fan?
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 10:16:13 am »
Yoda...

I\'m beginning to wonder if your whole persona on this board is just a big joke. Like your a made up personality of Spacey\'s mustache or something, here just for the cause of riling up the masses...
taints rule, gypsies drool!

Mamalakabubadaya

• http://
What is a REAL Fan?
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 10:25:13 am »
perhaps a fan is someone who doesn\'t act like a little bitch when a band they like doesn\'t play in their backyard every weekend.

:banrock:

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
What is a REAL Fan?
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 10:42:57 am »
Quote from: Mamalakabubadaya;224953
perhaps a fan is someone who doesn\'t act like a little bitch when a band they like doesn\'t play in their backyard every weekend.

Quote from: zuke583;224935
jesus, dude. you\'re a real fan. is that what you need to hear? can you stop posting about yourself every hour now?

Quote from: peaches626;224951
Yoda...

I\'m beginning to wonder if your whole persona on this board is just a big joke. Like your a made up personality of Spacey\'s mustache or something, here just for the cause of riling up the masses...

:that:
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
What is a REAL Fan?
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 10:46:00 am »
i never go to shows either. im not a real fan.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
What is a REAL Fan?
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 11:23:38 am »
Quote from: Vassillios;224961

ya, but you do go into every thread and say "i\'d go if they would play in my backyard" or "man in 1999 they would do this or that...." it has nothing to do with being a "fan" it has everything to do with being an annoying little bitch ALL the time. i feel bad for your wife if your real persona is anything like your yoda persona.
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
What is a REAL Fan?
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 11:49:22 am »
Quote from: derickw;224964
Quote from: Vassillios;224961

ya, but you do go into every thread and say "i\'d go if they would play in my backyard" or "man in 1999 they would do this or that...." it has nothing to do with being a "fan" it has everything to do with being an annoying little bitch ALL the time. i feel bad for your wife if your real persona is anything like your yoda persona.

i\'m not yoda. i don\'t bitch.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

Bret

• Sin-ser Breakfasthead
What is a REAL Fan?
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 11:54:35 am »
Quote from: Mamalakabubadaya;224953

rotfl
Lois: What the hell?  Marilyn Manson?  Is that who\'s causing all this?  Peter: Yeah, it\'s all him or hers fault.  Who does he or she think he or she is?  Look, you can totally see his or her nipples.  That\'s obscene... maybe.  Lois: There\'s only one thing to do.  Peter: You\'re right.  We got to find this Marilyn Manson and I\'ve got to give that bastard or bitch a piece of my mind or penis.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
What is a REAL Fan?
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 11:58:18 am »

thread > closed.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

SlimPickens

• just the tip
What is a REAL Fan?
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 11:59:46 am »
Quote from: peaches626;224951
Yoda...

If the Yoda persona is some kinda Andy Kaufman-esque sham...WOW!  I\'ve been played.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
What is a REAL Fan?
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 12:03:10 pm »
Quote from: derickw;224964
i feel bad for your wife if your real persona is anything like your yoda persona.

No reason to bring the family into this; you should really shut your mouth about things you know nothing about...

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
What is a REAL Fan?
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 12:16:26 pm »
whatever man, i don\'t give a shit anymore. i\'m done looking the other way and filtering through all your bullshit. i could give two shits about any portion of your life. if it\'s not current the Breakfast related banter just STFU.

and anyone that has actually met me would be taken back by the fact that i let your bullshit ramblings get to me. but i\'ve had enough!
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-