Author Topic: God I hate school  (Read 5686 times)

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
God I hate school
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2008, 04:54:03 pm »
Quote from: Gfunk;202374
But I guess you should just try and get through it while learning as much as you can, finding out what interests you, kickin it with your friends, and hookin up with mad hotties. Good luck broseph.

but mostly hookin up with mad hotties
DS Newbers

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
God I hate school
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 05:09:22 pm »
Quote from: Jim Cobb;202316
http://www.walkaboutprogram.org
Postcount +1.

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
God I hate school
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2008, 06:42:41 pm »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu;202373
Quote from: SkyePrizm;202362
A non-college graduate (which includes myself) can only peak at maybe $50,000 a year if they are lucky.  I mean, really lucky.  Majority of us waver around the $30 K mark.  In this day and age, not really enough to live on.....

While this is true for many, particularly service workers, some exceptions could include electricians, plumbers (other skilled trade peeps) that can command much higher salaries than college grads.  My friend\'s dad is an electrician who makes well above the 6-digit mark; they even have a weekend house in the Sierra.  The point is to acquire some actual skills, whether or not you go to college.  You can go to college, major in sociology (one of my pet peeve majors for its worthlessness) and have as little employable skill as a Dunkin Donut worker.

Fuck you.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
God I hate school
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2008, 07:01:38 pm »
Quote from: Gordo;202384
Quote from: SkyePrizm;202362
A non-college graduate (which includes myself) can only peak at maybe $50,000 a year if they are lucky.  I mean, really lucky.  Majority of us waver around the $30 K mark.  In this day and age, not really enough to live on.....

While this is true for many, particularly service workers, some exceptions could include electricians, plumbers (other skilled trade peeps) that can command much higher salaries than college grads.  My friend\'s dad is an electrician who makes well above the 6-digit mark; they even have a weekend house in the Sierra.  The point is to acquire some actual skills, whether or not you go to college.  You can go to college, major in sociology (one of my pet peeve majors for its worthlessness) and have as little employable skill as a Dunkin Donut worker.

Fuck you.

It\'s funny because I stopped to think if I knew any sociology people and recalled you were one before I posted.  Either way, I do believe it is a totally bogus major.  My dad is a University professor and he loves to rag on sociology too.  

Here\'s why:  there are two types of students that declare sociology for a major, those who  truly do care deeply for the subject matter (I\'ll bet you\'re in this camp) and then those that either are too lazy to think of a major or want an easy one and/or can\'t get accepted into another program.  As far as career opportunities, there is very little opportunity that directly recruits from this "speciality", and most sociology majors end up unemployed or in a totally unrelated career path with which they have less skills than someone who majored in it.  Finally, I really only interpret it as another vehicle to spread far-left ideology and cultivate unnecessary outrage on campus.

Gordo, let\'s hope some of your general ed classes are good. :duck:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 07:11:51 pm by alexanderzurflu »
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
God I hate school
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2008, 07:29:21 pm »
My goal is to become a college professor. And yes, I do care deeply about the material. My general approach to a lot of things in life is (and has always been) sociological, I just didn\'t realize this until last year when I switched majors. I want to teach and continuously research/write in order to figure out ways to attack the system, or break down social injustices that I think are BLARING in this society but not given enough attention because, well, that\'s the point, right? I\'m not interested in becoming rich, I\'m interested in empowering people who are never given the tools to empower themselves, specifically intellectually. I can\'t tell you how sick it makes me hearing some of my best friends constantly say "lazy Successful and Attractive African Americans" or "stupid spics" in situations where it\'s OBVIOUS they\'ve had a tenth of the opportunities we\'ve had. Even at work, I feel like the Mexicans are basically dehumanized by the boss and coworkers alike. I know most people don\'t give a fuck about this or don\'t even want to believe there\'s any truth in sociology when their lives are smooth sailing comparatively. I know people want to continue to feel like they\'ve earned and are deserving of all of their perks in this "meritocracy" of America.... That shit just doesn\'t fly with me personally. So yeah, I\'m passionate about sociology and am fine with others not being so, but it definitely hits a nerve when someone straight up tags your route meaningless. I don\'t talk shit about anyone else\'s goals or ideas or think they\'re meaningless even if they might be for me.

ps I\'m not on the hype train around campus either, they annoy me too. I go to school for school, not to build a circus and act superior in my field.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 07:29:21 pm by Gordo »
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

galenas

• Global Moderator
God I hate school
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2008, 08:09:54 pm »
god i wish i were still in school...

peaches626

God I hate school
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2008, 09:10:14 pm »
Quick someone get Wolfman to run the stats!

I think MakisupaCJ has set a record for most posts in the first week of .info membership!

as well as generating alot of conversation for some reason in threads that would usually die within a day around here

^^^^^^BennyBoomers Incognito

Damn you Peaches! Logout on my computer!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:10:14 pm by peaches626 »
taints rule, gypsies drool!

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
God I hate school
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 10:40:56 pm »

The key phrase in that statement is "my friends dad".  As the son of a mason, I can tell you this, it takes a long time and tons of blood sweat and tears for a blue collar worker to get to the 6 figure mark.  Whereas an education can jumpstart your financial income like hardwork never can.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
God I hate school
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2008, 11:11:54 pm »
I agree that education is the best route.   However, I\'ve known guys who have started landscaping businesses with nothing and have made big bucks, dated a plumber\'s daughter one summer and his billable hour was close to $100 even 12 years ago, known people with only cooking skills who\'ve done extremely well with popular restaurants.....the list goes on for the vocational opportunities that can pay well.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

BennyBoomers

• Biscuits Fluffer
God I hate school
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2008, 11:23:22 pm »
Go to college. It\'s fun. \'nuff said.

peaches626

God I hate school
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2008, 12:21:04 am »
college is fun, but, no joke, if i had to do it all over again I would think a lot harder about putting myself in >$20,000 worth of debt unless i REALLY thought I knew what I wanted to do for the rest of my life....

for ser, if you don\'t feel very strongly about a specific field/major try starting at a cheapo community college to get your GED\'s and explore the options...
taints rule, gypsies drool!

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
God I hate school
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2008, 12:26:55 am »
Quote from: peaches626;202403

I think MakisupaCJ has set a record for most posts in the first week of .info membership!

MakisupaCJ has 47 posts in his first 13 days.  That is the highest first-13-day total in the past 5 years.  Several charter .info members who were heavy Yahoo Group users before .info existed had more than 47 posts in the first 13 days, but nobody has beaten that since.  CJ\'s 47 posts in first 13 days is 2.63 standard deviations above the average of 1.1 posts in first 13 days.  If you adjust that to not count lurkers (people who make 0 posts within 13 days of creating a handle) then the average posts in first 13 days is 9.5, and 47 posts is 1.92 standard deviations from the norm.    

While the post total is something to be proud of, MakisupaCJ is also headed towards some less noble records.  He has destroyed the record for "haha"s in first 13 days.  In fact, he actually leads all of .info for "haha"s in the entire calendar year for 2008.  In the Downloading Maadd(sp?) Songs thread he has not one but two separate streaks of 5 posts in a row with "haha".  (I\'m not making any of this up, go read it.)  His overall grade writing level of .56 (i.e. barely above Kindergarten) is atrocious even given .info\'s abysmal standards.  In fact, he has the second lowest grade level of all time after 13 days, second only to Rokkit. (Remember him?)

And how am I able to compute these advanced statistics?  

BECAUSE I PAID ATTENTION IN SCHOOL!!!    

GET ON IT CJ!!!  

WELCOME TO .INFO!

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
God I hate school
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2008, 01:10:14 am »
Quote from: Wolfman;202433
Quote from: peaches626;202403

MakisupaCJ has 47 posts in his first 13 days.  That is the highest first-13-day total in the past 5 years.  Several charter .info members who were heavy Yahoo Group users before .info existed had more than 47 posts in the first 13 days, but nobody has beaten that since.  CJ\'s 47 posts in first 13 days is 2.63 standard deviations above the average of 1.1 posts in first 13 days.  If you adjust that to not count lurkers (people who make 0 posts within 13 days of creating a handle) then the average posts in first 13 days is 9.5, and 47 posts is 1.92 standard deviations from the norm.    

While the post total is something to be proud of, MakisupaCJ is also headed towards some less noble records.  He has destroyed the record for "haha"s in first 13 days.  In fact, he actually leads all of .info for "haha"s in the entire calendar year for 2008.  In the Downloading Maadd(sp?) Songs thread he has not one but two separate streaks of 5 posts in a row with "haha".  (I\'m not making any of this up, go read it.)  His overall grade writing level of .56 (i.e. barely above Kindergarten) is atrocious even given .info\'s abysmal standards.  In fact, he has the second lowest grade level of all time after 13 days, second only to Rokkit. (Remember him?)

And how am I able to compute these advanced statistics?  

BECAUSE I PAID ATTENTION IN SCHOOL!!!    

GET ON IT CJ!!!  

WELCOME TO .INFO!

Bwahahahahaha!! Now THAT is some funny shit right there.

Quote from: peaches626;202432
college is fun, but, no joke, if i had to do it all over again I would think a lot harder about putting myself in >$20,000 worth of debt unless i REALLY thought I knew what I wanted to do for the rest of my life....

for ser, if you don\'t feel very strongly about a specific field/major try starting at a cheapo community college to get your GED\'s and explore the options...

And claim independence now!!  I went to community college to get my associates, claimed independence, got very good grades at community college, and now I\'m in my second year at a university where I don\'t pay a dime. In fact my scholarship money paid out was $600 over for the semester.... I paid my rent and have nothing hangin over my head as far as owing the man, it\'s fantastic.

CJ, didn\'t you say in one of your first posts that you wanted to be a teacher?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 01:10:14 am by Gordo »

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
God I hate school
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2008, 01:15:44 am »
In fact, he has the second lowest grade level of all time after 13 days, second only to Rokkit. (Remember him?)

Rujah?
Postcount +1.

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
God I hate school
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2008, 01:20:02 am »
Quote from: Jim Cobb;202436
In fact, he has the second lowest grade level of all time after 13 days, second only to Rokkit. (Remember him?)

Rujah?

Rujah immediately popped in my head. I don\'t remember Rokkit.