Author Topic: Ride your bike to work week, may 12th-16th  (Read 4314 times)

tyzack

• http://
Ride your bike to work week, may 12th-16th
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 11:24:23 am »
Quote from: FrankZappa;188615
you could get one of those backpack bikes. They fold up so you can just carry it like a rolling piece of luggage on the train/into work. The wheels are smaller so you wont go as fast but it\'s better than having it stolen and being s.o.l. when you get off the train.

that\'s a damn good idea.

who makes them? (for a google/ebay search)
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 11:28:38 am »
I work about 21 miles from my house.  How long do you think it would take me to ride a bike to work?

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 11:31:03 am »
depends on the amount of hills, how busy the street traffic is, and your overall health. For me 21 miles would be around an hour depending on the route and if I was carrying anything, like clothes for work in a backpack.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 11:33:21 am »
Quote from: SlimPickens;188619
I work about 21 miles from my house.  How long do you think it would take me to ride a bike to work?

you could do that in an hour, but realistically, that\'s about an hour an a half.

and:

folding bikes

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 11:50:57 am »
I\'d love to bike to work but I feel like I would stink for the rest of the day. If we had showers here I would have started biking to work a long time ago. I guess I\'ll just have to try it out and see how it is. Thanks for the heads up!
Smell my mule.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 12:04:14 pm »
yea, I\'m lucky where I have a gym at work so I can shower when I get here.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 12:06:33 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa;188620
depends on the amount of hills, how busy the street traffic is, and your overall health. For me 21 miles would be around an hour depending on the route and if I was carrying anything, like clothes for work in a backpack.

21 miles is very tough to do in an hour, especially if you are carrying anything at all and if there are any hills along the way.  plus you dont want to be sweaty as hell when you get to work so its better to go on a more leisurely ride.

i see now that you have a shower, thats pretty convenient
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 12:11:24 pm by ds673488 »
DS Newbers

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 12:16:44 pm »
Quote from: SlimPickens;188619

shit... it takes me 45 minutes to do 6 miles...... but it is all up hill, probably why it only takes me 15-20 to get home.
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

sconnie4satan

• from the block...
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 12:53:38 pm »
the mtn. bike is in the car, just needs to be dropped off for a tune up...it\'s been sitting for awhile...
Don\'t shoot the messenger it\'s not his fault...
It\'s just a drag when you\'re the last one to know.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 01:02:18 pm »
Can you take a bike onto the train in the morning?  I could take a train the 2 stops from Milford to Bridgeport, then it would only be 9 miles to ride.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 01:05:23 pm »
Quote from: SlimPickens;188636
Can you take a bike onto the train in the morning?  I could take a train the 2 stops from Milford to Bridgeport, then it would only be 9 miles to ride.

Metro-North Commuter Railroad Company Bicycle Permit Regulations

1. Definitions

a. Bicycle. A single-seat, human powered, two wheeled vehicle with a wheel diameter not in excess of 27 inches. The term bicycle shall not include mopeds, mini-bikes, motorbikes or motor scooters.

b. MTA Metro-North Railroad, Metro-North, Metro-North Commuter Railroad Company.

2. Application for a Bicycle Access Permit

An application for a bicycle permit under this part shall be made to:
Customer Service Department
MTA Metro-North Railroad
420 Lexington Ave, 9th Floor
New York, New York 10017
or in person at any ticket window. A bicycle permit shall be issued by Metro-North upon the completion of the application and payment of any fee requested to cover administration expenses. Permits are issued immediately at all staffed ticket windows.

3. Conditions on use of Bicycle Access Permit

Customers who wish to bring their bicycles onto Metro-North trains shall display a valid permit. Permit holders shall be governed by the following conditions.

a. Weekdays

i. Outbound from Grand Central Terminal

Bicycles will not be permitted on trains scheduled to depart from Grand Central Terminal between 7 AM and 9 AM, 3:01 PM and 8:15 and connecting trains. On the Friday after Thanksgiving and the week between Christmas and New Year\'s Day, bicycles will not be permitted on trains scheduled to depart from Grand Central Terminal between 7 AM and 12 Noon and 3 PM and 8:30 PM and connecting trains.

ii. Inbound to Grand Central Terminal

Bicycles will not be permitted on trains scheduled to arrive in Grand Central Terminal between 5 AM and 10 AM, 4 PM and 8 PM, and connecting trains. On the Friday after Thanksgiving and the week between Christmas and New Year\'s Day bicycles will not be permitted on trains scheduled to arrive in Grand Central Terminal between 5:00 AM and 12 noon, 4 PM and 8:00 PM, and connecting trains.

b. Holidays and Holiday Eves

No bicycles will be carried on New Year\'s Eve, New Year\'s Day, St. Patrick\'s Day, Mother\'s Day. Eve of Rosh Hashanah, Eve of Yom Kippur, Eve of Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day. In addition, no bicycles will be permitted on trains scheduled to depart Grand Central Terminal between 12 noon and 8:30 PM on the Friday before Memorial Day weekend, the day or weekend before Independence Day, and the Friday before Labor day Weekend, including connecting trains.

c. Additional Restriction

Metro-North reserves the right to designate additional trains where bicycles will not be permitted. In addition, train crews may bar bicycles from trains if the bicycles cannot be carried because of conditions which interfere with the safety and comfort of other customers, including occasions of heavy ridership or equipment shortages. Consequently, the carriage of bicycles on a given train or for a continuous journey on connecting trains cannot be guaranteed.

d. Occupancy Limitations i. On weekdays two (2) bicycles will be permitted per car with a maximum of four (4) bicycles per train. Bicycles shall be placed in the two rear cars of inbound trains or the two front cars of outbound trains unless otherwise directed by train crew. Groups of more than four (4) bicyclists traveling together must make advance arrangements with Metro-North for carriage.

ii. On weekends the maximum number of bicycles permitted on trains is eight (8). In addition, on weekends certain trains are designated as "Bicycle Trains" and noted in the timetable with a bicycle symbol, these trains may carry more than the permitted number of bicycles. e. Bicycle storage

Bicycles will be secured in areas designated by the train crew. Bicycle will remain in the custody of the bicyclists, who will be responsible for their safe keeping and will secure the bicycles so that they do not pose a hazard to other customers.

f. Bicyclists must obey the following rules:

i. Bicycle riding on platforms or in other station areas is prohibited.

ii. Bicycles are not to be taken on escalators.

iii. All protruding objects or sharp edges must be removed from bicycles.

iv. Bicyclists must stay with their bicycles and move them, if necessary, to permit mobility of other customers.

v. Bicyclists may board trains only after all other customers have boarded.

vi. Bicyclist will comply with instructions from train crew members, Metro-North supervisors, and police.

g. Permits Revocation

The issuance of a bicycle permit by Metro-North is a public service to allow bicyclists the use of Metro-North transportation services. Failure to comply with the regulations will result in the revocation of the permit.

h. Liability

A permit holder will assume all liability for any damage or injury to persons or property resulting from or in connection with the carriage of the permit holder\'s bicycle on Metro-North trains, or at or near any facility used in connection with Metro-North rail services.

i. For west of Hudson service New Jersey Transit (NJT), permit rules apply and a separate NJT permit is required.

tyzack

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 01:26:14 pm »
Very intersting, however, these are the rules that apply to me:

Bikes are not allowed on any trains on:
Weekday trains during peak hours (shaded columns)
New Years Eve and 4th of July between 10 AM and 6 PM Inbound and after 4 PM Outbound
At all other times bicycles are allowed on trains. Folding bicycles, when folded, are allowed on all trains at all times.

Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 01:28:43 pm »
Thanks Dave.  That sucks.  Ain\'t easy bein\' green in a gasoline world

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 02:54:05 pm »
I love where I live because it is reasonable biking distance (or a short ride to a BART stop) to most of the major attractions in the Bay Area.  My work is only 4-5 miles away and I do frequently ride there in the summer.  In fact, I\'m gonna hop on the bike again tomorrow.  I haven\'t been doing nearly the amount of riding I used to do.

As for Northeast biking, many of the roads are old and narrow country roads that do not safely accomodate bikes.  Out here, you can piece together safe passage on bike lanes/trails to any city you wish to bike to.  The cities out here also have serious committees and resources for adding new lanes designated for bikes.  The new Bay Bridge (under construction) will have bike lanes suspended off the side of the bridge for travel between OAK/SF.  There are 500 miles of bay shoreline and they are halfway to the goal of providing bike access to all of those miles.  Pretty ser stuff.  But the Bay Area is pretty compact along the inner bay and the weather is conducive to biking most of the year round.  

There are so many bikes on the road now, especially in SF.  I tried to go to a free music festival in Golden Gate Park last summer but there was no place to chain up, as there were an estimated 10,000 bikes chained up all over the place.  Unfortunately, many of the hardcore bikers are radical assholes who have no respect for safety on the road and always instigate problems with cars.  I have almost kicked some spandex-clad faggot ass on many occasions.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

SlimPickens

• just the tip
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 03:01:16 pm »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu;188654
I have almost kicked some spandex-clad faggot ass on many occasions.

:lol: