Author Topic: Has anyone here seen Nirvana ??  (Read 2904 times)

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
Has anyone here seen Nirvana ??
« on: January 27, 2011, 10:45:49 pm »
I know it\'s a long shot but talk about something to brag about.  I think the biggest act I have seen was RATM at rock the bells a few years back.  What about you guys ?  Anybody go to wooddooze 94 ?
*Gia*

krispy

• I\'m a negative creep
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 11:30:51 pm »
many times.  Grew up in Western WA.  Lived down town Seattle (4th and Roy st, literally look out the window and look up and you\'re staring at the bottom of the space needle) from 88-91.  I still have hand labeled copies of fecal matter and bleach on maxell blanks purchased from the band.  Best years of my life.

just looked at your profile and realized I have twelve or so years on you...  When I was seeing Cobain and co they were playing in bars and clubs smaller than what the BFast play in now.  I saw shows with under 50 people in them.  Lots of great bands in Seattle around 90.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:30:51 pm by krispy »

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 01:29:12 am »
4 or 5 times. Best one was at Iguana\'s in TJ. Talk about no rules at ALL!!
That band was something to behold live. Kurt had an aura that just pulled you in and the music was perfect for that time in my life.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

krispy

• I\'m a negative creep
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 09:13:35 am »
Kurt had an aura that just pulled you in

Very true.  maybe I was an overly impressionable youth, but I felt like I could take on the world when I was in the same room as Kurt.  I have never met a more magical person.  You could look at him, make eye contact, and feel like you had the most important conversation of your life.  It was a high that would last for weeks.  I was addicted to Kurt as much as I was Nirvana.

If you haven\'t noticed, you\'ve struck a nerve...

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 09:34:38 am »
no, but i knew dave grohl through his mom, who was my ap english teacher, before (and after) he joined them. i\'ve had dinner with crist, dave and ms. grohl twice, too. never did meet kurt, though.

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 10:04:40 am »
speaking of grohl, saw the foos at red rocks in 2008. AWESOME show(s)
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 11:02:25 am »
great question and really cool to hear stories of those who have seen the band live.

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 01:12:29 pm »
Quote from: krispy;265296
many times.  Grew up in Western WA.  Lived down town Seattle (4th and Roy st, literally look out the window and look up and you\'re staring at the bottom of the space needle) from 88-91.  I still have hand labeled copies of fecal matter and bleach on maxell blanks purchased from the band.  Best years of my life.

just looked at your profile and realized I have twelve or so years on you...  When I was seeing Cobain and co they were playing in bars and clubs smaller than what the BFast play in now.  I saw shows with under 50 people in them.  Lots of great bands in Seattle around 90.

wow thats amazing.  what tunes did they play besides ones that were on their albums ?
*Gia*

krispy

• I\'m a negative creep
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 01:22:24 pm »
Lot\'s of classic rock like zepplin, who, aerosmith, boston, early punk like the clash and ramones, sex pistols, vaselines, the knack.  parody\'esque stuff like bette midler, cars, cher.

probably the best Moby Dick I have ever heard.

/I love Nirvana

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 01:44:04 pm »
where in w. mass did you grow up? I missed out on the civic center show by like a year or so.....wish my brother would have took me
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 01:50:18 pm »
Quote from: weekapaug19;265332
where in w. mass did you grow up? I missed out on the civic center show by like a year or so.....wish my brother would have took me

pretty sure he said Western Washington, not very close to western mass at all.

Quote from: krispy;265330
Lot\'s of classic rock like zepplin, who, aerosmith, boston, early punk like the clash and ramones, sex pistols, vaselines, the knack.  parody\'esque stuff like bette midler, cars, cher.

probably the best Moby Dick I have ever heard.

/I love Nirvana

ser jealous, that sounds like an awesome time to be a music fan.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 01:50:18 pm by Igziabeher »

krispy

• I\'m a negative creep
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 02:12:46 pm »
I grew up first in Marysville (forty minutes north of the city) and as a young teen moved to Seattle.  About 3200 miles from MA.

It was an awesome time to live in Seattle.  It seems cliche but I correlate it to living in SF in the sixties.  It was just perfect.  The music, culture, people, art...  Everything clicked.  Coffee shops that were also art galleries that hosted concerts at night.  Everything was all ages.  The drugs were cheap.

Watching Nirvana play Moby Dick for the fist time (after a killer Ned\'s Atomic Dustbin opener) was the first time in my life that I said to myself "you are witnessing something special".  I knew immediately that these guys were gonna make it and simultaneously wanted it to happen for them and desperately wanted it to fail so we could keep it all to ourselves.  I would regularly skip school or leave early to find someone to drive to bum-fuck nowhere for house parties.  Get high as a kite and watch my favorite bands.  

We went to tons of beach parties in South Seattle (then and still now an uglier, grittier, industrialized area, where we could have beach parties without being shut down by the cops.  Kegs, generator, halogen work lights...  Instant concert.  two bucks for a cup.  four or five hours of music, wake up on a rocky beach.  Good times.

Thanks for asking btw.  I\'m having a hell of a good time thinking about all this.  It\'s been long while since I\'ve gone on a Kurt bender! Giving Bleach a third spin on the turntable right now...  Oh yeah, in all it\'s sub pop, first pressing, vinyl glory!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 02:12:46 pm by krispy »

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 02:48:54 pm »
my bad

see any mookie blaylock or green river shows? early PJ?  If so, I\'m very jealous
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 03:03:17 pm by weekapaug19 »
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 04:40:06 pm »
Quote from: krispy;265335
It\'s been long while since I\'ve gone on a Kurt bender!

Nirvana was the band that really kickstarted my "career" as a music fan upon discovery in 5th grade.

When I look back on my musical journey to this moment, it was the single band that set me on a course away from the masses.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 05:40:44 pm »
This one time I was totally tetris faced, been stackin up the blocks all day you know how it gets, very geometrical. Some dude passes me a pipe which I assumed was some type of legal smoking blend, of course, turns out it was deemsters.

Next thing I know, I believe I did indeed see Nirvana.

And then I pretty much raged that tour for a few years straight.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising