Author Topic: News of the Weird  (Read 54112 times)

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
News of the Weird
« Reply #480 on: June 17, 2009, 09:48:55 am »
Quote from: tyzack;233711
I meant what is the new prime number that they found, the digits.

Brimley, here you go.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/sep/27/science/sci-prime27

13 Million digit. Not typing it.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

davepeck

• Administrator
News of the Weird
« Reply #482 on: July 08, 2009, 02:07:22 pm »
Woman left newborn in portable toilet, police say
By Jason Kessler
CNN

(CNN) -- A 44-year-old Maryland woman faces charges of child abuse after police say she gave birth in a portable toilet and dropped the newborn into the waste tank.

After exiting the portable toilet in Long Wharf Park in Cambridge, Candy Vigneri got a cigarette from a construction worker and sat at a picnic table, police Lt. Wayne Bromwell said.

As she sat, a male passer-by approached the toilet but Vigneri warned him, "Don\'t go in there, I just had a baby there," police said.

The man immediately called 911. Vigneri returned to the toilet and retrieved the newborn from the foul liquid at the base of the tank.

The baby was unresponsive and covered with a blue antibacterial chemical agent when emergency responders reached the scene, police said.

Vigneri told officers that she didn\'t know she was pregnant.

She was arrested Wednesday on charges of child abuse and reckless endangerment and is being held on a $50,000 bond.

The baby is in stable condition at Easton Memorial Hospital. Dorchester County social services will take control of the newborn after she is released from the hospital.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/02/maryland.toilet.birth/?iref=mpstoryview

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
News of the Weird
« Reply #483 on: July 08, 2009, 02:19:28 pm »
I\'m sorry but that is not it\'s downright fucking unforgiveable...  How do you not know you\'re pregnant after carrying the baby for 9 months (if she was full term)...  Even if she didn\'t know she was pregnant, she knew she had the baby and let it sit in the filth and chemicals of a rent-a-john?  I have no pity for this woman... Send her straight to county w/out a trial...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

peaches626

News of the Weird
« Reply #484 on: July 08, 2009, 02:34:05 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;235585
I\'m sorry but that is not it\'s downright fucking unforgiveable...  How do you not know you\'re pregnant after carrying the baby for 9 months (if she was full term)...  Even if she didn\'t know she was pregnant, she knew she had the baby and let it sit in the filth and chemicals of a rent-a-john?  I have no pity for this woman... Send her straight to county w/out a trial...

sorry, but thats not how we do it here yoda
taints rule, gypsies drool!

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
News of the Weird
« Reply #485 on: July 08, 2009, 02:41:09 pm »
Quote from: peaches626;235588

sorry, but thats not how we do it here yoda

Must be a Mason/Dixon thing...  I take this seriously because it happened in the town next to where I grew up and I knew the people involved...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Grossberg_and_Brian_Peterson
Amy Grossberg (born 1978) delivered a baby at a Comfort Inn in Newark, Delaware, on November 1996, assisted only by her then-boyfriend Brian Peterson, who later threw the baby into a dumpster. In March 1998, Peterson pled guilty to manslaughter and served a two-year sentence; on April 22, 1998, Grossberg agreed to a plea bargain, and was sentenced to a two-and-a-half years in prison on July 9, 1998.

Grossberg and Peterson dated while at Ramapo High School, growing up in the affluent suburb of Wyckoff, New Jersey. Amy successfully hid the pregnancy from her parents, particularly her mother, who was the person Amy most wanted to shield it from. Grossberg wore baggy clothes and avoided her parents for the course of the nine months.

In November 1996, the eighteen-year-old\'s water broke. She and Peterson checked into the Comfort Inn and delivered the unnamed child on November 12. Conflicting stories have made the subsequent events a mystery to anyone except the couple, but Peterson and Grossberg claim they believed the infant to be stillborn, wrapped him in a garbage bag, and disposed of him in a dumpster.

The bloody sheets were discovered by a cleaning woman, who immediately contacted police. K-9 Police dogs found the body in the dumpster. Upon returning to school, Grossberg began to have severe seizures as a result of not having expelled the placenta. She was taken to a hospital, and it was clear to the doctors that she had just given birth. Not long after, police officials and the hospital put the two incidents together.

The couple’s initial claim that the child was stillborn was quickly shot down. An autopsy proved that the infant was delivered alive and that the cause of death was several head fractures and Shaken Baby Syndrome. The cause of the injuries was inconclusive. Peterson and Grossberg, who at first seemed to remain a loving couple, quickly turned on each other and began the finger pointing. In December 1996 they were indicted for the murder. Peterson stated emphatically that Grossberg told him to “get rid of it!”; Grossberg claimed that Peterson acted alone in putting the boy into the dumpster.

In March 1998, Peterson pled guilty to manslaughter in exchange for his testimony against Grossberg at her trial. Other than his initial claims, he also stated that he tried to get her to a hospital, but she refused. When Grossberg heard Peterson\'s statement in detail, she agreed to a plea bargain on April 22, 1998. She admitted to unintentionally causing the death of the infant and said that she and Peterson never planned to kill the baby. A concern of attorneys for both defendants regarding going to trial was that the pictures of the baby\'s head (it was noted on Court TV that such pictures could not be shown on television) would be displayed in court and lead to more severe penalties.

While Peterson was sentenced to two years, Grossberg was held to be more responsible and was sentenced to two-and-a-half years.

Not all forensic pathologists agree with the fact that the baby was born alive, some feel that infant was likely stillborn or drew breath once or twice before dying. Bruising to a baby\'s head can also occur during birth, particularly if the mother is young, it\'s her first child, and the mother has a small pelvis. The Grossberg baby also had congenital abnormalities, increasing the likelihood of stillbirth.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

tyzack

• http://
News of the Weird
« Reply #486 on: July 08, 2009, 03:03:53 pm »

Agreed w/Yoda.

Partially...about the reaction to the baby and the need for county. Actually, fuck that, spade her, or whatever.

Apparently (??? I am still somewhat amazed by this ???) not knowing you are pregagnat is common enough for there to be a show about it:

I saw it on {edit} TLC {edit}

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=2.15574.127107.36836.1
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 09:53:01 am by tyzack »
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
News of the Weird
« Reply #487 on: July 08, 2009, 03:53:54 pm »
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
News of the Weird
« Reply #488 on: July 09, 2009, 09:46:55 am »
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
H2-WHOA! Australian town bans bottled water sales
« Reply #489 on: July 09, 2009, 10:05:43 am »
SYDNEY — Residents of a rural Australian town hoping to protect the earth and their wallets have voted to ban the sale of bottled water, the first community in the country — and possibly the world — to take such a drastic step in the growing backlash against the industry.

Residents of Bundanoon cheered after their near-unanimous approval of the measure at a town meeting Wednesday. It was the second blow to Australia\'s beverage industry in one day: Hours earlier, the New South Wales state premier banned all state departments and agencies from buying bottled water, calling it a waste of money and natural resources.

"I have never seen 350 Australians in the same room all agreeing to something," said Jon Dee, who helped spearhead the "Bundy on Tap" campaign in Bundanoon, a town of 2,500 about 100 miles (160 kilometers) south of Sydney. "It\'s time for people to realize they\'re being conned by the bottled water industry."

First popularized in the 1980s as a convenient, healthy alternative to sugary drinks, bottled water today is often criticized as an environmental menace, with bottles cluttering landfills and requiring large amounts of energy to produce and transport.

Over the past few years, at least 60 cities in the United States and a handful of others in Canada and the United Kingdom have agreed to stop spending taxpayer dollars on bottled water, which is often consumed during city meetings, said Deborah Lapidus, organizer of Corporate Accountability International\'s "Think Outside the Bottle" campaign in the U.S.

But the Boston-based nonprofit corporate watchdog has never heard of a community banning the sale of bottled water, she said.

"I think what this town is doing is taking it one step further and recognizing that there\'s safe drinking water coming out of our taps," she said.

Bundanoon\'s battle against the bottle has been brewing for years, ever since a Sydney-based beverage company announced plans to build a water extraction plant in the town. Residents were furious over the prospect of an outsider taking their water, trucking it up to Sydney for processing and then selling it back to them. The town is still fighting the company\'s proposal in court.

Then in March, Huw Kingston, who owns the town\'s combination cafe and bike shop, had a thought: If the town was so against hosting a water bottling company, why not ban the end product?

To prevent lost profit in the 10-or-so town businesses that sell bottled water, Kingston suggested they instead sell reusable bottles for about the same price. Residents will be able to fill the bottles for free at public water fountains, or pay a small fee to fill them with filtered water kept in the stores.

The measure will not impose penalties on those who don\'t comply when it goes into effect in September. Still, all the business owners voluntarily agreed to follow it, recognizing the financial and environmental drawbacks of bottled water, Kingston said.

On Wednesday, 356 people turned up for a vote — the biggest turnout ever at a town meeting.

Only two people voted no. One said he was worried banning bottled water would encourage people to drink sugary beverages. The other was Geoff Parker, director of the Australasian Bottled Water Institute — which represents the bottled water industry.

Australians spent 500 million Australian dollars ($390 million) on bottled water in 2008 — a hefty sum for a country of just under 22 million people.

On Thursday, Parker blasted the ban as unfair, misguided and ineffective.

He said the bottled water industry is a leader in researching ways to minimize bottled beverage impact on the environment. Plus, he said, the ban removes consumer choice.

"To take away someone\'s right to choose possibly the healthiest option in a shop fridge or a vending machine we think doesn\'t embrace common sense," he said.

But tap water is just as good as the stuff you find encased in plastic, said campaign organizer Dee, who also serves as director of the Australian environment group Do Something!

"We\'re hoping it will act as a catalyst to people\'s memories to remember the days when we did not have bottled water," he said. "What is \'Evian\' spelled backwards? \'Naive.\'"

link
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

tyzack

News of the Weird
« Reply #490 on: July 09, 2009, 10:31:45 am »
^^^ Sickness. Bottled water sucks.

*unless you are in an area of the world where you cannot trust the well/public water.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
News of the Weird
« Reply #491 on: July 09, 2009, 03:49:41 pm »
that\'s why people in those areas drink beer!
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

tyzack

News of the Weird
« Reply #492 on: July 09, 2009, 03:56:00 pm »
^^ Unless their religon forbids it...

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
News of the Weird
« Reply #493 on: July 09, 2009, 05:18:47 pm »
Not really news- but check out the front page of wikipedia today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
News of the Weird
« Reply #494 on: July 13, 2009, 12:20:53 pm »
:wah:

A cat piano or Katzenklavier (German) is a musical instrument designed by Athanasius Kircher. It consists of a line of cats fixed in place with their tails stretched out underneath a keyboard. Nails would be placed under the keys, causing the cats to cry out in pain when a key was pressed. The cats would be arranged according to the natural tone of their voices.

The instrument was described by German physician Johann Christian Reil (1759-1813) for the purpose of treating patients who had lost the ability to focus their attention. Reil believed that if they were forced to see and listen to this instrument, it would inevitably capture their attention and they would be cured (Richards, 1998).

"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke