Author Topic: If you like GD music to sound like GD music...  (Read 17655 times)

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
If you like GD music to sound like GD music...
« on: September 24, 2009, 07:53:36 pm »
you may want to check this out.

Furthur at The Fox in Oaksterdam.

It gets better night by night with the band in fine fucking form the last night!

I suggest skipping to the last night and then picking through the rest for your fav tunes.

http://www.archive.org/details/furthur2009-09-18.aud.phopely.101489.flac16

http://www.archive.org/details/furthur2009-09-19.101516.nakguy.flac16

http://www.archive.org/details/furthur2009-09-20.MilabVM44.flac.16

Rumor is a few Dec. dates with one in CT. and a tour to follow in Feb.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 09:10:04 pm »
dude from dso throws it down.
thank god warren haynes is gone.
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

thatguy

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 09:18:49 pm »
amen to that!

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 09:41:52 pm »
warren haynes ruins everything,imo.
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

leith

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 09:46:42 pm »
Quote from: freddiewaht;242146
dude from dso throws it down.
thank god warren haynes is gone.

Yeah John has all those Jerry riffs and licks he has practiced all these years to pull out and then he also does some pretty sweet shit on his own.

He also provides that parachute for Bobby, that space to say"Hey it\'s cool you fucked up I know where we\'re supposed to go" and then goes there.

As a Deadhead I\'m pretty pissed this is sooooooo good.

They played a decent tour as The Dead this year but the best of that pales imo to what this band can bring.

inertia1215

• Withdrawn
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 10:18:38 pm »
Thanks for the links Leith!! 9-20 is un-fuckin believable, caught the Dead this past tour and am pissed JK wasn\'t playing those dates instead of Warren.
~The world would be a better place if everyone  danced.~

~Turn on, tune in, drop out.~

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 01:10:55 am »
We were at the Friday night warmup show and had a damn fine time.  

I have add that Joe Russo is a great addition to the band.  

Haven\'t listened back to the recording yet but plan to take in all 3.  

Playing a smaller venue like the Fox was a real treat.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 11:47:07 am »
Quote from: freddiewaht;242149

Dude. Gov\'t Mule OWNS!!

And Warren basically saved ABB

He was also one of the only interesting players in the early days of Phil & Friends

I will admit for a while in the late 90\'s early 00\'s he was overexposed but you don\'t get the moniker of Hardest working man in show business by sitting around with your thumb up your butt

Not to mention Jimmy Herring and Warren have their own style. They don\'t try to BE Jerry like this DSO guy.

You guys like it because a guy sings and plays basically EXACTLY like Jerry.

Give me Barraco over any of these guys any day
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 12:09:03 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;242191

Dude. Gov\'t Mule OWNS!!

He was also one of the only interesting players in the early days of Phil & Friends

I will admit for a while in the late 90\'s early 00\'s he was overexposed but you don\'t get the moniker of Hardest working man in show business by sitting around with your thumb up your butt

Not to mention Jimmy Herring and Warren have their own style. They don\'t try to BE Jerry like this DSO guy.

I don\'t think that WH ruins everything, but he does ruin Dead bands he\'s in... PL&F is fine because they\'re not trying to be TGD, but the other bands I don\'t get his inclusion.  Gov\'t is good.  ABB isn\'t the ABB anymore (in my opinion)...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 12:13:58 pm »
I really hope they continue with this line up.  Would be great if they did a national tour.

These recordings seems pretty weak soundwise.  But I guess it\'s all we got right now.

leith

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 12:36:58 pm »

Dude. Gov\'t Mule OWNS!!

Uh open your ears bud. He does not sound EXACTLY like Jerry.
Check out his work in The Mix. He has his own style it just happens to be based in the Jerry Garcia school of playing. Which is very tonal and effect based.

His singing voice is not nearly as strong as Garcia\'s. His use of inflection mimics Jerry the most though which is what is always missing from Jerry songs. Not anymore.

Oh and Barraco kicks ass on Keys but sucks at guitar so I have no clue why you would pick him over any of these guys.
That\'s just silly talk.

I know you love GD so you should do yourself a favor and check it out. Phil loves it so much he wrote a new song for the band.

When was the last time he was excited enough to do that?
Hmmmm?

Quote from: Yoda;242195

Dude. Gov\'t Mule OWNS!!

I don\'t think that WH ruins everything, but he does ruin Dead bands he\'s in... PL&F is fine because they\'re not trying to be TGD, but the other bands I don\'t get his inclusion.  Gov\'t is good.  ABB isn\'t the ABB anymore (in my opinion)...

Not just yours.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 12:36:58 pm by leith »

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 01:58:39 pm »
Quote from: leith;242198

Dude. Gov\'t Mule OWNS!!

Check out his work in The Mix. He has his own style it just happens to be based in the Jerry Garcia school of playing. Which is very tonal and effect based.

His singing voice is not nearly as strong as Garcia\'s. His use of inflection mimics Jerry the most though which is what is always missing from Jerry songs. Not anymore.

Oh and Barraco kicks ass on Keys but sucks at guitar so I have no clue why you would pick him over any of these guys.
That\'s just silly talk.

I know you love GD so you should do yourself a favor and check it out. Phil loves it so much he wrote a new song for the band.

Hmmmm?

Dude. Gov\'t Mule OWNS!!

Not just yours.

I was listening to your links when I posted.

Sorry but Dead cover bands just aren\'t my thing.

I mentioned Barraco because he CAN SING. I know he plays keys for fucksake geez.

I have unfortunately seen DSO many times so I am familiar with this pseudo-Jerry. If you honestly think he doesn\'t try to BE Jerry you aren\'t paying attention.  

ABB hasn\'t been ABB since they kicked Dickey out of the band. Period end of story.

I love Phil and all but he really needs to just hang it up. Bobby is close. Billy and Mickey seem to be able to still bring it but interesting they are not part of this group.

After the abomination of the last tour I just cannot fathom spending $$ to see them anymore

I guess I am just sick of these guys doing nothing new but simply rehashing a catalog. OOOOH they added a new guy to play the same tunes with them. How original.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 02:06:54 pm »

I like Fake Jerry cuz he can play like Jerry on a good night in any era. Vocally not as good. And of course not as original as Jerry himself but Fake Jerry\'s definitely wicked consistent and has a great feel for Dead-style improv.

Warren wasn\'t too bad with The Dead either... I appreciated the fact that he eased up on his shitty guitar tone for once. Dude = overrated. You can work as hard as you want but if you\'re not born to be one of the greats you\'re just gonna be a pretty good guitar player with a lot of projects goin on. Not to hate. But Fake Jerry is an improvement IMO. Maybe I like GD to sound something like GD?

Probably rather see Ratdog anyway :P
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 02:09:13 pm »
Further, the new band featuring Phil Lesh and Bob Weir, has confirmed a handful of December shows. The gigs will take place at New York’s Hammerstein Ballroom on December 8 and 9, Wallingford, CT’s Chevrolet Theater @ Oakdale on December 11 and Asbury Park, NJ’s Asbury Park Convention Hall on December 12 and 13. Like the band’s previous shows, Further will also feature RatDog’s Jeff Chimenti (keyboards), Dark Star Orchestra’s John Kadlecik (guitar), RatDog’s Jay Lane (drums) and the Duo’s Joe Russo (drums).
The band recently made its public debut at San Francisco’s Fox Theatre. Weir will play a number of Northeast shows this fall, beginning with a Scaring the Children gig at Brooklyn, NY’s Brooklyn Bowl on October 9.
Further’s upcoming shows include:
December 8-9 New York, NY— Hammerstein Ballroom
December 11 Wallingford, CT—Chevrolet Theater @ Oakdale
December 12-13 Asbury Park, NJ—Asbury Park Convention Hall
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

leith

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 02:24:36 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;242212
Quote from: leith;242198

Dude. Gov\'t Mule OWNS!!

That\'s just silly talk.

Hmmmm?

Dude. Gov\'t Mule OWNS!!

Not just yours.

I was listening to your links when I posted.

Sorry but Dead cover bands just aren\'t my thing.

I mentioned Barraco because he CAN SING. I know he plays keys for fucksake geez.

I have unfortunately seen DSO many times so I am familiar with this pseudo-Jerry. If you honestly think he doesn\'t try to BE Jerry you aren\'t paying attention.  

ABB hasn\'t been ABB since they kicked Dickey out of the band. Period end of story.

I love Phil and all but he really needs to just hang it up. Bobby is close. Billy and Mickey seem to be able to still bring it but interesting they are not part of this group.

After the abomination of the last tour I just cannot fathom spending $$ to see them anymore

I guess I am just sick of these guys doing nothing new but simply rehashing a catalog. OOOOH they added a new guy to play the same tunes with them. How original.

I get your pessimism believe me but the point of this band is to actually do the music justice and actually take it Furthur.

Something they feel they can not do as The Dead for whatever reasons.

JK can never be a part of The Dead(you can research what Billy thinks about DSO and figure the rest out.) due to his style but he can help this band explore that material in a more familiar vein.

This familiarity along with a new rhythm section has reignited that Spark in Phil and Bob.

Hmmm guess you missed the new Phil song which is actually pretty good and there IS new material being worked on.