Author Topic: A discussion about electronic music [SPLIT]  (Read 11790 times)

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
A discussion about electronic music [SPLIT]
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 04:01:41 pm »
I\'ve found with "progressive" electronic music, I like it better as an accompaniment to doing something, like writing, driving, etc., because it keeps flowing and changing and propelling you forward.
so what you\'ve actually found, as i pointed out earlier, is music that doesn\'t challenge the listener, that doesn\'t require active listening and is just background noise. that\'s fine, but in no way interesting, to me.

It allows me to access altered states of consciousness in a lucid state.
as should live music. non-electronic music just misses out on the repititiousness required to induce a trance (see my earlier comments about rhthymic entrainment) but just because your brain isn\'t slowing down doesn\'t mean the music is bad or that altered states can\'t be achieved. hell, classical music is the best stuff in the world for producing altered states and that\'s as far from untz as it gets! bluegrass can also produce the same entrainment experience if played long enough. but most bluegrass musicians know not to play a thirty minute bluegrass jam, because at some point, the audience will get bored of the same beat over and over. apparently a lot of kidz these days like to be mind-numbed (as is obvious by the predominant drugs on the scene these days - benzo\'s, h, k, etc...). me, i like to be mind-expanded.

the environment has a really profound effect on the perception of the music.
yes, that\'s true for all types of music.

is a person spinning at a live show not human ?? can they not react to the audience, thrive off their energy?
sure, and that person is called a disc jockey, *not* a musician. he is playing music, not creating it.

and frankly, i see electronic as a much more compositionally-minded beast in that if you are going to use it, you must be constrained to whatever is pre-programmed. even if there are many choices of programming available, you are still stuck with those choices. what if, in the midst of a jam, you come upon a rhthym, a texture, a mood that has not been pre-programmed? that\'s what i mean by allowing yourselves a limited area within which to play. like painting with only the couple colors you think you\'ll need. what happens if you realize, mid-painting that another color would be an incredible addition, but because you didn\'t think of it beforehand your painting will now suffer.

edited to add this funny .gif....

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 04:14:05 pm »
is a person spinning at a live show not human ?? can they not react to the audience, thrive off their energy?

sure, and that person is called a disc jockey, *not* a musician. he is playing music, not creating it.

Turntables have evolved into an instrument. They are no longer just a device to play a record on. that being said, I understand where you are coming from Jking. In my opinion, live music tends to have more soul then electronic music. I agree with Igz though, not all electronic music is necessarily bad, just like every live band is not necessarily good (stating the obvious I know).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 05:00:14 pm by Gfunk »
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 04:51:10 pm »
Bob Dylan has very little peaks and buildups and tension and release, but you can\'t say it isn\'t moving either.  same goes for electro.  clearly its a more basic approach to music(speed up/slowed down, volume high/low), but the \'artist\' is still mixing it all together for a live audience.

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 04:56:33 pm »
yeah, i definitely agree that there can be some good, i just haven\'t heard them yet. that being said, i have just stated trying to educate myself with turntablists. i d/l\'ed a crapload of stuff from teh pig and have been giving it its chance. qbert and shadow seem to be pretty badass but praxis was awful. well, when the musicians were all contributing to the same thing, it was pretty ok. so, about three or four tracks from that album were worth listening to. buckhead (and more specifically, his tone) were abrasive and unlistenable, to me. the live recording of qbert in austin was pretty good, though. i hesitate to call those particular guys (along with mixmaster mike, for instance) dj\'s though, because, like you said, gfunk, they are not just playing records and getting the beats to match.

bob dylan\'s peaks are in his songwriting, not just the playing, imo.

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2007, 05:01:58 pm »
check out cut chemist. he is ser.
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2007, 05:02:06 pm »
Quote from: jking;155878

is that a young Zuke in the red shirt?? :wah:

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2007, 05:26:43 pm »
i think i may have grabbed something with cut chemist, actually. i burned a spindle\'s worth of new music (not just turntablists) last weekend and am working my way through it.... grabbed a bunch of random, should have had it already, used to have it but lost it and always heard about these guys but never heard them kinda albums. it was kinda downloading a bunch of john hartford and a bunch dj\'s at the same time, i gotta admit! :lol:

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2007, 05:46:56 pm »
Check out The Future Sound of London "The Isness".
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2007, 06:14:32 pm »
d/l\'ing now.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2007, 06:44:32 pm »
Quote from: TreyChica;155874
I can pick up on agitated states, altered states, (negative energies) etc and it most likely will ruin the show for me. Prime example was Umphrey\'s in Northhampton. The crowd\'s energy was TERRIBLE and I wasn\'t enjoying any of the music. I swore off Umphrey\'s after that experience, but sure enough upon listening to the show on disc I realized it was one of their best performances.

Are you talking about the last show they played up there... probably July or some time around then??
Cuz that was the best UM show I\'ve ever seen (out of 6 I think).

You probably shoulda come up to the balcony everyone was spun and the vibes were great.

I listened to Paul Oakenfolds\'s "Tranceport" in my car the other day. \\

Cool huh.

Most electronica sucks though. Shpongle is somewhat legit. STS9 is also somewhat legit. Some chillout music like Air is kinda cool.

But Bisco really sucks.

The Breakfast === 1st Buquebus jam.... or some crazy Puppetry or Escher\'s === the best "electronic music"
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2007, 06:57:47 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;155908
Quote from: TreyChica;155874
I can pick up on agitated states, altered states, (negative energies) etc and it most likely will ruin the show for me. Prime example was Umphrey\'s in Northhampton. The crowd\'s energy was TERRIBLE and I wasn\'t enjoying any of the music. I swore off Umphrey\'s after that experience, but sure enough upon listening to the show on disc I realized it was one of their best performances.

Are you talking about the last show they played up there... probably July or some time around then??
Cuz that was the best UM show I\'ve ever seen (out of 6 I think).

You probably shoulda come up to the balcony everyone was spun and the vibes were great....
I listened to Paul Oakenfolds\'s "Tranceport" in my car the other day. \\

Cool huh.

Most electronica sucks though. Shpongle is somewhat legit. STS9 is also somewhat legit. Some chillout music like Air is kinda cool.

But Bisco really sucks.

The Breakfast === 1st Buquebus jam.... or some crazy Puppetry or Escher\'s === the best "electronic music"

Unfortunately that\'s energy I can\'t handle and is a primary reason why I don\'t attend jamband related shows anymore.  

Bottom line... You either like some electronica, or you don\'t...  It\'s not going anywhere, so I don\'t see the point in complaining, especially when the firstmost electronica festival in America just invited our boys to play. If anything we should all be thankful!!
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

princesscaspian

• gemini tactics
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2007, 08:50:14 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna
Shpongle is somewhat legit.

oooohhmy SHPONGLE! can\'t get enough. Nothing Lasts. . . But Nothing Is Lost gives me goosebumps everytime i listen to it. that\'s some heady shit right there.

in fact, anything Posford generally does it for me. I want him to run away with my brain.
and what CAN you do, when your world is invaded by a reggaejunkiejew?!?

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2007, 09:15:22 pm »
Quote from: davepeck;155889

is that a young Zuke in the red shirt?? :wah:

nah...that kid\'s a way better dancer than i\'ll ever be:banboogy2:

I\'ve found with "progressive" electronic music, I like it better as an accompaniment to doing something, like writing, driving, etc., because it keeps flowing and changing and propelling you forward.

so what you\'ve actually found, as i pointed out earlier, is music that doesn\'t challenge the listener, that doesn\'t require active listening and is just background noise. that\'s fine, but in no way interesting, to me.

please please please give a listen to shpongle\'s "nothing lasts..." if you would like a sendspace or an oink invite (i have 10 of them...please somebody take one), i would be happy to hook you up.  i don\'t want to seem pushy...just trying to spread some good music that will definitely expand your mind
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 09:15:22 pm by zuke583 »
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2007, 09:38:33 pm »
Quote from: TreyChica;155910
Unfortunately that\'s energy I can\'t handle and is a primary reason why I don\'t attend jamband related shows anymore.

Wow.... so if other people are groovin\' at a show on some nice Lucy their "energy" is so offsetting to you that you will avoid a show where this might be happening all together??

all I gotta say is.. your loss!
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2007, 12:09:46 am »
IMHO Posford is incredibly one dimensional. Now if you want some decent Psytrance check out System 7!!!  And if you like Sphongle and want some ethno-electronica check out any one of Bill Laswell\'s hundreds of albums.