Author Topic: Longest Live Breakfast Song of All Time  (Read 1206 times)

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
Longest Live Breakfast Song of All Time
« on: April 15, 2008, 04:30:19 pm »
With the lengthy tunes from Winston\'s, it made me wonder what was the longest single song (no segues)ever played live by the Breakfast, and how long was it?

Estimates are fine on song length if the offical time is not known.
DS Newbers

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 04:33:39 pm »
57-minute Son of Simpleton on March 14th, 1997.  

Ser!!!
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 04:36:20 pm »
The show at the Java Barn a few weeks ago had a jam > Buquebus that lasted ~38 minutes. I\'m not totally sure but I don\'t think the opening jam was more than 5 minutes long either, maybe even less. Klout/Frolfer could probably shed some light on this.

If jam > \'song\' counts then 2001-12-07 jam > Mooboo\'s Voodoo (Episode 2) clocks in at over 41 minutes. I\'d consider that to be the best 41 minutes of music they\'ve played, but that\'s just my opinion.
Smell my mule.

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 08:32:33 pm »
vortex was pretty long if it counts as a song
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 10:15:27 pm »
Quote from: DocEllis70;186462
vortex was pretty long if it counts as a song

vortex wasnt that long...it was only about 22 minutes.  I do remember the buquebus from mezzanotte in fall 07 was well over 30 minutes.  it wasnt 38 minutes though (if in fact, that queeb from st. lawrence university was actually that long, i guess we will never know...).  im guessing dave can add some thought to this thread?  or maybe wah...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 10:19:08 pm by ds673488 »
DS Newbers

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 10:35:19 pm »
jam > was <5 mins and should be counted toward total time

total almost 40 mins. the first jam was waaaay out there ...what song is this again status. it was somewhat standard then it got spacey then uppity dancey reggae funk section then raging then they busted that insane harmonic convergence synchronization blastoff shit that was just beyond description. then the second section was really long as well.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 10:37:41 pm by Klout »

tyzack

• http://
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 11:54:12 am »
Quote from: booztravlr;186452
The show at the Java Barn a few weeks ago had a jam > Buquebus that lasted ~38 minutes. I\'m not totally sure but I don\'t think the opening jam was more than 5 minutes long either, maybe even less. Klout/Frolfer could probably shed some light on this.

If jam > \'song\' counts then 2001-12-07 jam > Mooboo\'s Voodoo (Episode 2) clocks in at over 41 minutes. I\'d consider that to be the best 41 minutes of music they\'ve played, but that\'s just my opinion.

Quote from: Klout;186465

total almost 40 mins. the first jam was waaaay out there ...what song is this again status. it was somewhat standard then it got spacey then uppity dancey reggae funk section then raging then they busted that insane harmonic convergence synchronization blastoff shit that was just beyond description. then the second section was really long as well.

Please tell me that is on archive...
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 12:08:28 pm »
Again - I\'ll refer back to the Woodstock Reunion show at Yasgurs Farm.  There was a long as TGSOT in the late night set.  Unfortunately, there was no tape of this show and not many people still around were present.  Great show though.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 12:30:49 pm »
Quote from: tyzack;186515
Quote from: booztravlr;186452

Quote from: Klout;186465

Please tell me that is on archive...

Unless the sound guy made a stealth copy, no. The echoes from the Queeb of all Queebs is drifting somewhere around the Canadian border.

That jam > Mooboo\'s is up on archive though. Def check that one out.
Smell my mule.

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »
that jam>mooboos (particularly the jam segment) is absolutely incredible.  

I want to bring something up that I thought of again when i listened to this...

I think recently TB has strayed away from this lengthy, improvisational, experimental "type-2" jams, which was one of the reasons i got into them in the first place.

for those who dont know, a "type-2" jam is one that strays completely away from the regular beat/melody of the song they are playing and takes the live show to a whole other level.  phish began to do more of these in the \'95 era onward.

The breakfast were doing a LOT of them when i first joined this site (early fall 07), and it seems like they did more of them when they were the psychedelic breakfast.  as the new group becomes more comfortabe with each other\'s jamming/listening, id like to hear more of this stuff at upcoming shows.

any thoughts?
DS Newbers

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
    • http://
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 01:58:43 pm »
give it some time buddy. they still haven\'t played all the songs they have much less being comfortable enough to stray that far out and remember where you left off and how to get back in
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 03:22:07 pm »
I recall a Tobacco Road show from 2000 or 2001 where Dave the owner gets on the house moc at roughly 45 minutes or so and ask the question "Was that the first f-ing song" I would have to check the recording to see if it was indeed 1 song they jammed.

That would be Psychedelic Breakfast so does that count ;)
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
Smell my mule.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 04:11:28 pm »
Quote from: booztravlr;186542
^ It\'s probably one of these shows

http://www.archive.org/details/pb2001-03-17.flac16

http://www.archive.org/details/pb2001-08-24.flac16

If I remember correctly it would have been the 08-24 show. And it looks like it wasn\'t 1 song :)
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 04:52:36 pm »
I may be going against the grain here, but I remember going to see PB back in 00-01 after they got back from their first midwest-west tour and wondering what the hell happened to the band when they started turning 5 minute tunes into 15 minute jams.  I came to enjoy it, but let\'s not try and force 1/2 jams just to have them.  If they happen, great!  But let\'s not forget that they have some really good tunes that are composition pieces that don\'t have to be jammed to hell.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen