Author Topic: Why do YOU think The Breakfast hasn\'t blown up yet???  (Read 5931 times)

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
Why do YOU think The Breakfast hasn\'t blown up yet???
« on: March 21, 2006, 10:14:44 am »
Ssia
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 10:26:11 am »
:chin: oh, you mean they HAVEN\'T? :?:
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 10:28:54 am »
My grammar is atrocious...
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 10:41:30 am »
the answer to this question is simple. and its something they seem to be working on improving, as we speak. get out there, show everyone what you\'ve got, and about the fourth time through town, you should notice a big difference in audience sizes. ain\'t quick, ain\'t easy, but its gotta be done. and they\'re doin\' it!

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 10:51:34 am »
Jking, I can\'t help but notice your Breakfast thread on Phook and it always seems that people are quick to dismiss it.  I was listening to "Beef Barley" on my way to work this morning and it brought me back to 01 when everyday I waited in anticipation to hear from Tim or Kroop about an "amazing gig" or an unprecedented turnout that in turn would turn that spark into a full fledged blaze.  It just frustrates me beyond belief that such a small fraction of the "jamband" market takes them seriously.  I just want to hear what everyone "really" thinks.

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 11:01:44 am »
Quote from: TreyChica
My grammar is atrocious...

;) I wasn\'t trying to insult your vocabulary, Joe... just pointing out that I think they\'re doing a great job on the road & gaining new fans and great venues each & every day - so, my answer to your question is... they HAVE blown up, at least from what I\'ve seen and heard.  I\'m wondering what it would take for tB to be great in your mind, and why you think they aren\'t as of yet
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 11:08:11 am »
By blowing up I mean playing some of the bigger festivals, co-bills with larger jambands at prominent venues, getting invited to play Jam in the Dam, being constantly talked about all over the "jamband" intraweb, hell even being satirized because they get fluffed so much. So pretty much, when it becomes cool to hate The Breakfast because everyone talks about them, I\'ll know they\'ve blown up ;)  Blowing up means no doozies... It means a full sweaty, boisterous crowd every night welcoming the band, no matter where they are.

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 11:09:07 am »
i think the main reason that theydismis it, it because they haven\'t seen the band. there is so much energy coming off the stage that simply doesn\'t translate to tape/cd. maybe they d/l\'ed a show, listened to it, heard a lot of notes really fast with no slow songs and were just kinda meh\'ed by it. however, if they\'d had a chance to see the band once or twice a year for the last couple years, i bet there\'d be a much better reception for them.

i do also think that the lack of \'slower\' songs does turn some folks off. now, their more recent tunes have all featured a build-up in energy, instead of starting off at mach-10 and staying there or increasing, and i think that those tunes will *really* help the uninitiated be able to get more into the band. i/we don\'t need to slow things down, but most of the rest of the listening community does.

Dyed_Tie

• Right There That\'s It Yes
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 11:17:26 am »
I think early on it was their vocals, but they have vastly improved on that so it is no longer an issue.  They have had the inner ear moniters for a couple of years now, and that really took them to a new level of playing together.  Those also helped reduce the stage noise so that their vocals came out much clearer without the amps bleeding into the mics too much.  They also changed the name of the band so that muddles things a little while opening doors like Moe.down for them.  Now I just think they have to keep playing all over the place to increase their recognition.  

I think the main problem is that this genre of music doesn\'t really lend itself to blowing up.  Any underground grassroots music movement is going to be slow going.  Yes they have been around for 7+ years, but in reality their band is still very young.  At least in an underground sense.  If they were poppier and got radio play, they may have the ability to blow up and be signed by Sony or something.  Then Sony would negotiate with radio stations so they would play The Breakfast.  But that\'s not the band we know and love.

It\'s a slow process.  They gather more fans as they play more gigs.  They have improved their equipment, they have improved their song writing skills, they have improved their ability to play off of each other, and they will only get better.  I know, how can they get better?  Well they do all the time.  

Actually that\'s one of the best things about them going on tour (besides promoting the band).  They spend so much time together and play almost every night.  This makes them play so well with each other.  It\'s probably better than practicing.

I love it when they come back home after a tour.  Every time they do they are almost exponentially better.  Maybe it\'s because I haven\'t heard them in a while but I don\'t think so.  Touring seems to me like Breakfast Boot Camp.  As long as they keep touring, keep writing great music, and keep weaving ridiculous jams with almost radioactive levels of Ser Face Ownage, they\'ll keep growing.  

Look at the growth they\'ve experienced since the release of Real Radio.  They just have to keep plugging along.  Maybe next show they\'ll pick up 2 or 3 die-hards.  They\'ll try to get their friends to go to a show, much in the same manner that we do.  Then next week they may pick up another 3-4 fans.  Then in a month they\'ll have 12 new fans and they\'ll sign up on .info to get the scoop and talk to geeks like us.  Then before you know it we\'ll be paying for more tickets than covers.  

As for me, I\'m enjoying the fact that I get to enjoy the band in these intimate venues.  There will come a day when we\'ll be pining for the old days when the band had to walk through the crowd to get to the stage (or more appropriately, playing area) and we could shake their hands without needing a VIP pass like Wayne and Garth at an Alice Cooper show.  Their day will come, let\'s just enjoy what we\'ve got going now.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 11:45:12 am by Dyed_Tie »
If trees could scream do you think we would be so cavalier to cut them down? Maybe if they screamed all the time for no good reason.

Probably the worst thing about having King Kong run rampant in your town would be the huge, monster genitalia.

I wish I had a kryptonite cross, because then I could keep Dracula and Superman away.
   :mario: :luigi: :yoshi:  :toad:

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 11:17:34 am »
I sure as hell hope so Jason. It\'s almost like because The Breakfast refuses to be pretentious, everyone else will instantly dismiss them as serious musicians/composers. Their compostions are worthy of nods from the prog world, but again, no love.  I hope they storm the East coast when they get back like a plague of black locusts.

Excellent sypnosis Dyed Tied.  I think once the band purchases their own sound equipment the music will be revolutionized to the point where The Breakfast will have a distinguished sound.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 11:22:45 am by Overexjoesure »

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 11:27:01 am »
This is my 1st post here, but the subject strikes a chord with me.  I\'ve seen the Breakfast several times, and over 1,000 shows (seriously, I worked in a club for years) total in my lifetime.  One quality I find most endearing to The Breakfast is their eclectic mix of sounds and influences. How many jam bands will throw in "Sir Psycho Sexy" in a set?  I absolutely love that sort of thing, however this is a genre dominated by Phish wannabe\'s.  Truly unique and mass appeal are often mutually exclusive.
Another reason is the double edged sword of an "insider" feel at the shows.  They know their fans, the fans know the band, and I think it\'s safe to say they appeal to somewhat of a music snob fan base.  (Hey I admit, I\'m one).  Even "The Almighty Phish" didn\'t really pack \'em in until they threw a little pop into their sound.  Hoist anyone?
Regardless I agree w/ FreeSpirit in the sense that they have grown quite a bit, without selling out, or alienating their core base.  Lastly I apologize for my jinx.  Bands I like NEVER, ever, ever get platinum-popular, not once.  Sorry guys.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 11:58:47 am »
Bad management and lack of touring for one thing.

You dont make it as a live act without CONSTANT TOURING.

Secondly the breakfast is very  INTENSE and HARDCORE.

Not everybody can hang. It\'s too frantic for many people. A lot of people just dont get it also.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 12:01:08 pm by Klout »

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 12:17:46 pm »
i hand out fliers and cd\'s up here in RI just about every show i go to. most people i talk to are like.... ya, i heard of them, but I\'ve never heard them. i think getting the music in some of these peoples hands is a key point. also the age of the fans i think has a lot to do with it. little to NO under 18 fans around.... why because they don\'t play venues that are underage friendly. anyone remember the puppethouse and all the kids everywhere, Toad\'s Place? we need to recruit some high school kids and spread the music with all these kids that never even had the chance to see Phish. And i agree the genre of music they are in don\'t really blow up. but look at some of the bands that blew up in other genres... where are they 5 years after they got played out on the radio, all that music is disposable. We all had our moments when we busted Treys balls about all the bullshit, but how many people would jump on the chance to go see Phish one more time, this scene is everlasting because the fans care about the artists. get this music to people, get them to local shows and guaranteed the attendance will grow each time. but it takes grassroots to let people know these shows are going on. not just the two or three people you talk to but people you don\'t even know. the more people that know the better the chances that the venue will be packed. I\'m trying my hardest to get people to the Providence show, we shall see what kind of turn out all this will yield.
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 12:33:48 pm »
Or we can just start a massive fake id business...

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 02:57:38 pm »
Quote from: Klout
Bad management and lack of touring for one thing.

You dont make it as a live act without CONSTANT TOURING.

Secondly the breakfast is very  INTENSE and HARDCORE.

Not everybody can hang. It\'s too frantic for many people. A lot of people just dont get it also.

There is also TONS of competition in the jam band world these days. Many people are just confused newbs or uncritical scenesters  and cant even tell the good stuff from the generic crap.