Author Topic: (Grateful) Deadheads for Breakfast(.info)  (Read 13133 times)

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
(Grateful) Deadheads for Breakfast(.info)
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2009, 12:13:42 pm »
I guess you\'re right...  I guess I see it as if the ABB toured as ABB if Gregg Allman left or died...  Same deal w/ DMB or even the Misfits w/out Danzig...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2009, 12:17:27 pm »
Yeah I see what you\'re saying. The more musicians carrying on the spirit of the Dead and bringing people together to celebrate this in the modern moment the better, if you ask me :)
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2009, 01:01:51 pm »
The spirit can live on without a multitude of what are essentially cover/tribute bands...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2009, 01:43:22 pm »
Sure it can.

But the music\'s like almost the best part!

IMO covering Dead righteously is a righteous thing indeed!
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2009, 01:46:27 pm »
Covering the dead as a supplement to your music is one thing, but few bands can actual play only dead music and not come off as a cheesy cover band, like that one that always plays Toad\'s and the singer tries to look like Garcia...

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2009, 01:57:17 pm »
Yeah Shakedown Street didn\'t impress me too much.

Some bands definitely pull it off better than others.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2009, 01:59:33 pm »
JGB is still a great time, regardless of the fact that only Melvin Seals played with Garcia in a long-running side project.  I got to see a great free show just a couple months ago on Jerry Day.  

There are lots of good Dead bands (plenty of crappy ones too), who cares if that is how they wish to spend their time, paying tribute to a great band.

You have a pretty narrow view of the world; imagine how fun your city would be if you were elected mayor.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2009, 02:06:04 pm »
It\'s not that I have a narrow view, I\'m just very opinionated and I like what I like...

You\'re missing my point, if it\'s Melvin Seals\' band then call it the Melvin Seals Band, not the Jerry Garcia Band...

I have no problem with people paying tribute, but trying to look like Garcia like the guy from Shakedown does or the way the guy from Riders on the Storm does or even the Elvis impersonators, is a little too over the top in fanaticism for my taste...

And if I was elected mayor, it might not be fun, but it sure has hell would be run respectably...

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2009, 02:07:21 pm »
There is nothing wrong with trying to emulate or follow in the footsteps of a great person.

This is what Jesus, Buddha, Krishna, Jerry Garcia, etc intended. To inspire others to EVOLVE is the ultimate act of LOVE.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2009, 02:15:04 pm »
Que sera sera...
IMHO - to inspire is one thing, to grow a pot belly and a beard so that you look like Garcia when you play is a little over the top...

Back to the fact that the Dead made some great music and made a career out of being able to harness that inspiration by having 40% of their catalogue be covers...

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2009, 02:17:34 pm »
:lol:

Right on dude, whatever you say!

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2009, 02:34:50 pm »
i did not know that "the misfits" was another way to type "the glenn danzig band". thanks yoda!!

i\'ve always been a fan of the jello biafra band and the hr band, myself...

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2009, 03:32:59 pm »
Seeing as Danzig wrote the lyrics and music for most of the misfits, having the band go on w/out him is nothing more than a glorfied cover band...

The same goes for The Beach Boys w/out Brian Wilson...

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2009, 03:35:49 pm »
Just a glorified version of a pellet gun...

feels so manly!

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2009, 06:19:33 pm »
A fun couple shows from the later years. The \'93 being a great example of what some called Electronica Dead

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1991-12-28.sbd.miller.tetzeli.fix-21615.76116.sbeok.flac16

Set 1
One More Saturday Night>Jack Straw, Peggy-O,
New Minglewood Blues, Dire Wolf, Queen Jane Approximately, Loser, Cassidy, Deal

Set 2
Foolish Heart(PHIL on Lead Bass Move over Jer!!!!) ->Man Smart (Woman Smarter)
Uncle John\'s Band ->Playing In The Band ->The Same Thing(Deep Deep Sickness!)
Drums ->Space ->I Need A Miracle ->Standing On The Moon ->Throwing Stones>One More Saturday Night
E:
U.S. Blues

http://www.archive.org/details/gd92-12-16.aud.vernon.9631.sbeok.shnf

Set I
Feel Like A Stranger, Brown Eyed Women, The Same Thing, Loose Lucy, Memphis Blues, Row Jimmy, Let It Grow
Set II
Shakedown Street, Samson & Delilah, Ship of Fools, Playin\' In The Band-> Drums-> Jam-> Dark Star-> All Along The Watchtower-> Stella Blue-> Good Lovin\', E: Casey Jones

More fun in \'93

8-21-93 Set I
Here Comes Sunshine, Walkin\' Blues, Lazy River Road, Queen Jane Approximately, Bird Song -> The Promised Land

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YWQCMVA0

8-21-93 Set II
China Cat Sunflower -> I Know You Rider, Way To Go Home, Truckin\' -> Good Morning Little Schoolgirl -> Smokestack Lightnin\' -> Drums -> Space -> The Last Time -> Standing On The Moon -> One More Saturday Night E: I Fought The Law

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5UG8X2XR

2 \'81 shows from the Rainbow in London.
The quality on archive is abt the best I have heard of the first show but the music TOTALLY makes up for the sound quality.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd81-03-20.aud.vernon.9198.sbeok.shnf
Set I
Feel Like A Stranger, Friend Of The Devil, CC Rider, Althea, Mama Tried-> Mexicali Blues, Loser, Minglewood Blues, Candyman-> Looks Like Rain-> Deal
Set II
Scarlet Begonias-> Fire On The Mountain-> Lost Sailor-> Saint Of Circumstance-> He\'s Gone->(IS THE FUCKING HEAT!!) Drums-> Truckin\'-> Wharf Rat-> Around & Around-> Johnny B. Goode, E: U.S. Blues

http://www.archive.org/details/gd81-03-21.sbd.clugston.6666.sbeok.shnf
Set I
Alabama Getaway-> Promised Land, Peggy-O, Me & My Uncle-> Big River, Tennessee Jed-> Little Red Rooster, Althea, Let It Grow-> China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider
Set II
Jack Straw, Ship of Fools, Estimated Prophet-> Eyes Of The World-> Drums-> Not Fade Away-> Black Peter-> One More Saturday Night, E: Don\'t Ease Me In
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 06:19:33 pm by leith »
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.